SCP-3273
rating: +12+x

Item #: SCP-3273

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: All recovered instances of SCP-3273 are currently in storage at Site-128 in Locker 5-54. No personnel are to handle the packaging or individual tablets of SCP-3273 to prevent accidental inhaling of residual dust from the tablets.

By order of the Ethics Committee, all instances of SCP-3273-1 are to be immediately destroyed.

Description: SCP-3273 (referring to a single instance) is a plain container of prescription painkiller tablets for swallowing and ingestion. Chemical analysis reveals that SCP-3273 is a form of opioid drug. Packaging of all instances is printed with dosage information which refers to SCP-3273 as the "self-performed brain editing manual", and advises the user to only take if they "have a drill".

Anomalous effects of SCP-3273 occur approximately 35 minutes following ingestion, hereby referred to as 'exposure', to an instance of SCP-3273. The affected individual (designated SCP-3273-1) will begin to experience a gradual loss in all physical sensations of pain. Distress from physical injuries, lacerations and burns will become increasingly difficult for SCP-3273-1 to notice or register. The rate of this process is determined predominantly by dosage size - a single tablet from SCP-3273 should be capable of preventing an adult male SCP-3273-1 from recognising any form of injury within 2 hours.

SCP-3273 is proven to be a highly-addictive substance, with significantly higher addiction rate when compared to similar substances such as heroin. Most instances of SCP-3273-1 commit to overdosing in SCP-3273 within approximately 3 days following initial exposure.

Instances of SCP-3273-1 who overdose in SCP-3273 will experience a gradual inversion of pain lasting 24 hours. At an indefinite point in this period, instances will discover that the experience of pain now induces sensations of emotional calm and satisfaction. Once SCP-3273-1 is aware of their state, SCP-3273-1 may come to enjoy physical injuries, and gradually inflict intended harm upon themselves. The effects of an overdose of SCP-3273-1 appear to be irreversible, unlike regular intake of the substance. Most instances of SCP-3273-1 are observed to expire from injuries inflicted by themselves, and deaths from SCP-3273-1 are frequently abandoned as cases of suicide.

SCP-3273 is suspected to influence its subjects through chemical editing of the brain, and severe alteration of opioid receptors in the peripheral nervous system. This has been observed to interrupt specifically the line of communication between the thalamus and the cerebral cortex. Analysis of chemical composition of SCP-3273 samples reveal that the object is a form of opioid drug similar to heroin, containing an unidentifiable biological material which acts as a blocking agent, disrupting or preventing nerve signals from passing.

Distribution of SCP-3273 is widespread, having infiltrated all areas of drug use including hospital surgery, prescription painkillers, sedatives and narcotics. SCP-3273's primary method of entering these markets is through imitation of other opioid substances. It is unknown where SCP-3273 is entering the pharmaceutical network or the narcotics trade, but investigation is ongoing. Due to this, SCP-3273 stands as officially uncontained.

Addendum 3273-a | Evidence File 3273-1

Addendum 3273-b | Evidence File 3273-2

Addendum 3273-c | Evidence File 3273-3

Addendum 3273-d | Evidence File 3273-4

Addendum 3273-e | Evidence File 3273-5

Addendum 3273-f | Notice & References

Request Note from Dr. Foster addressing Dr. White

Christ, this is fucked-up, Ryan. This isn't some fucking indestructible lizard or inter-dimensional paedophile - these people are doing this to themselves. SCP-3273 isn't a psychoactive; and it doesn't seem to display any manipulative qualities, so what the fuck is going on?

And why are they calling it 'enlightenment'? This isn't a religious cult. I haven't seen any of them gather to burn any crosses, but they're still trepanning themselves like there's no tomorrow.

Jesus Christ, Ryan. I think we need to pay more attention to this one.

Notice from Dr. White addressing Dr. Foster

They're connected. We've been getting it wrong the entire time.

SCP-3273 isn't the manual; it's the tool to do so. God knows what monster they will make if they remove the amygdala.

I've enacted neutralisation of all instances of SCP-3273-1. What we're seeing is just the first step - they'll continue until they've cut everything that hurts out of them. Can you imagine what they will become? Christ- they can't even argue because they can't hate me. They can't fear death so they don't bother living. What's next? What else do they no longer want to feel? I'm not acting out of spite for the troubles they have caused us - this is pity.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License