SCP-2843
rating: +31+x

Item #: SCP-2843

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: The Foundation has at this point successfully fabricated an in-effect EAB quarantine1 for the area housing SCP-2843, thus establishing legal mandatory isolation. Additional security is provided through surveillance camera monitoring along with a perimeter gate. Testing of SCP-2843 requires the presence of at least 3 cleared personnel who will maintain a minimum distance of 15 meters between them and SCP-2843-1 at all times. Test subjects entering SCP-2843 are to be equipped with a two way radio and optional mounted camcorder for communicative purposes. Subjects exiting SCP-2843 unimpaired at the end of the test may be escorted out and debriefed as soon as possible. Individuals displaying side effects of dysmetropsia after reemergence must be allowed to rest for several minutes prior to questioning. Those unable to emerge from SCP-2843 are not to be pursued.

Description: SCP-2843 refers to a spatial anomaly currently affecting the unearthed portion of a fallen white ash tree (Fraxinus americana), designated SCP-2843-1. Patches of moss, roots, soil and small rocks are clearly visible over most of the lower trunk of the tree, though the original cause of its collapse is unknown at this point. Repeated testing reveals that entry into SCP-2843 occurs while within approximately 5 meters of SCP-2843-1. Effects will usually materialize after 8-10 forward steps are taken. Access seems to be possible from any direction when adhering to these criteria. Test subjects walking crookedly or attempting to enter SCP-2843 outside of this active zone will inevitably fail the experiment. Knowledge of said conditions also acts to prevent unwarranted entry into SCP-2843 during travel to and from the examination area.

Test subjects entering SCP-2843 are soon affected by rapid changes to their visual orientation. Growth in SCP-2843-1’s size and placement on the horizon becomes initially noticeable and steadily intensifies. Further visual distortion occurs upon arriving at SCP-2843-1, wherein previously small-scale features of the fallen tree, such as dislodged roots and embedded rocks, take on gigantic proportions. Moss covered areas of SCP-2843-1 may emulate the appearance and texture of grass or similar topography beneath the test subject’s feet. Furthermore, the uprooted base of the tree exhibits a heightened gradient, described during several debriefings as “a very steep hill” or “tall mountain”. From the standpoint of outside observers, however, the test subject appears to gradually decrease in size as they approach SCP-2843-1, ultimately disappearing from sight and remaining unseen until the conclusion of the experiment.2

The length of time sustained within SCP-2843 has varied with each test subject. Individuals exiting the space will usually reappear on the opposite side of SCP-2843-1, concurrently exhibiting ‘growth’ to their normal stature. Feelings of dizziness, exhaustion, migraine headaches or difficulty with depth perception most often affect subjects upon reemergence, requiring on-duty personnel to help them walk or balance. However, most of these effects have proven temporary, usually dissipating in under an hour.

SCP-2843 came to the attention of the Foundation soon after news reports had confirmed the unusual disappearances of 3 residents in northeastern ███ ██████, USA. Missing person reports had been filed for a local hiker, a 15 year old teenager, and an 8 year old child over the course of 2 weeks. Subsequent to these reports being publicized, search parties located each victim within 48 hours of dispatch. In every case, the missing individual was found lying unconscious near SCP-2843-1. Upon medical examination, victims displayed corresponding symptoms of Alice in Wonderland Syndrome (AIWS), most of which subsided over the course of their treatment. Two of the three victims had otherwise sustained mostly minor injuries, but the third appeared to have suffered a considerably large bite on the right leg. Though all three individuals were able to recount vague descriptions of the ‘landscape’ when questioned, none proved capable of remembering when, why or how long they had been missing, nor could the victim of the bite recall the source of their injury. Foundation personnel deemed it necessary to administer mild amnestics to the victims as well as all involved parties prior to containment of SCP-2843.

Addendum 2843-A

Segment of a note from Dr. Galvez regarding the bite victim

Closer inspection of the marks on the patient’s leg has revealed uncanny similarities to large-scale insect mandibles…I need not mention the importance of omitting this detail from all external medical records.

-Dr. Galvez

Experiment Log 2843-A

Addendum 2843-B

On June 15, 20██, personnel monitoring SCP-2843’s perimeter spotted a strange occurrence involving Dr. Ferdinand. Directly before exiting the perimeter gate, file footage shows Ferdinand stumbling backwards several meters and falling to the ground. The doctor is then seen fleeing in another direction, purposely circumventing the area.

Segment of Dr. Ferdinand’s explanation

My plan was to simply take a few file photos of SCP-2843-1 before we end all interaction. But as I walked towards the gate to leave, it started to grow larger and larger. I felt completely disoriented, but knew exactly what was happening. Admittedly, this has always been in the back of my mind ever since beginning to study this anomaly. For all we know now, there could be dozens more instances of SCP-2843 out there, waiting to be infiltrated in just the right way…

-Dr. Ferdinand

Note from Dr. Galvez to all researchers

Subsequent to Dr. Ferdinand’s debriefing, this particular section of fence has been isolated and designated SCP-2843-2. Proposals for making study of SCP-2843 strictly surveillance-based from this point on are under consideration.

-Dr. Galvez

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License