SCP-2750
Skinwalker%20Pic%201.jpg

First capture of an SCP-2750 instance by ASCI operatives, circa 1860.

Item #: SCP-2750

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Currently, the Foundation has 3 SCP-2750 instances in containment. SCP-2750 instances are not permitted to change their appearances for any reason. Any changes in appearance are to be noted, and SCP-2750 instances are to be punished accordingly by revoking certain privileges.

Capture of uncontained SCP-2750 instances is difficult due to the aversion that SCP-2750 instances show towards humans, and the rarity of SCP-2750 instances themselves. Containment teams are to conduct a monthly sweep of the areas where SCP-2750 instances have been known to inhabit.

Description: SCP-2750 is the collective designation referring to a group of anomalous humanoids that are known to inhabit the southwest United States, specifically the regions of northeast Arizona and southern Utah, notably around the area of the Navajo Nation reservation.

SCP-2750 specimens closely resemble non-anomalous humans of Navajo descent. Following this trend, SCP-2750 instances invariably wear clothing and masks associated with Navajo culture of the 1800s. Beyond their stated anomalous properties, SCP-2750 instances resemble normal humans from a biological standpoint.

SCP-2750 instances demonstrate the ability to change their appearances and body shapes to various animals found in the southwestern United States, particularly those that are prominent in Navajo culture, such as coyotes, foxes, wolves, eagles, and crows. This effect is voluntarily triggered, and all captured SCP-2750 instances have shown the ability to change into at least 5 different animals, though field reports have suggested that certain instances possess the ability to change into 9 or more different animals.

Skinwalker%20Pic%202.jpg

Second known capture of an SCP-2750 instance, circa 1870.

All SCP-2750 instances possess eyes that resemble those of their favored animal to mimic. Despite possessing animal-like eyes, most SCP-2750 instances demonstrate normal human vision.

It is currently estimated that roughly 100 SCP-2750 instances exist outside of containment. SCP-2750 instances have been noted to travel in migratory groups pursuing a hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Interviews with captured specimens suggest a tribal structure akin to that practiced by the Navajo people in the Pre-Columbian period.

SCP-2750 specimens have shown extreme aversion to human contact. SCP-2750 migration patterns specifically avoid any sign of human settlement, and all discovered instances seem to have instinctual fear of humans. Despite their close proximity to the Navajo Nation reservation, no SCP-2750 instance has ever been found within the territory of the reservation itself.

No SCP-2750 instance has been encountered in the field since 1983, though signs of habitation from SCP-2750 have been found, such as the remains of campfires, tracks, and temporary encampments.

SCP-2750 instances demonstrate expertise in many bushcraft skills, which is believed to have given them their ability to evade Foundation capture. To date, all known captured SCP-2750 specimens were impaired in some way, such as by disease, injury, or exile from SCP-2750 society.

Knowledge of SCP-2750 has existed since the mid 1800s, when the American Secure Containment Initiative1 first made contact with the Navajo people. Said people gave the first description of SCP-2750 to an ASCI agent, which is currently the oldest record of SCP-2750’s existence. The noteworthy portion of his letter is transcribed here.

…following the meeting, the natives described at length some manner of beast that plagues them much viciously. They call it a "yee naaldloshii." From what I gathered, this creature endeavours to invade the privacy of their homes to devastate the people within. The beast is of a mindless temperament; aggressive and deadly.

In addition, these beasts may adopt the skin of all varieties of animals to bewitch the minds of men, as well as calling in a voice so pure and innocent, a man would not dare to question it. Some prefer the skin of a human, while others prefer the ways of the common animals.

I am most worried, however, by their claims as to the mental properties of these beasts. One of their shamans swore up and down that they could know whatever a man was pondering with the lightest force of will. Should one of them glare at any poor soul, the unfortunate man shall lose all control of his limbs and mind. Had I not witnessed one of these monsters with my very own eyes, I should not have believed such an outlandish story.

I am of the opinion that these "naaldloshii" present nothing less than a highly dangerous threat to the peace. Their bellicosity about the natives, along with a much feared tracking and hunting ability leads me to fear some expansion or violence to the people of our country.

I write you this letter and send it through the fastest channels so that you may send a response here to quell any sort of unrest from these creatures.

Following this incident, it is believed that an ASCI force was deployed to the region on the pretense of Native American pacification. Further notable records of SCP-2750’s containment outside of this incident do not reappear until modern day containment.

SCP-2750’s existence to the public has been concealed under the Patterson-Gimlin Protocol, which has successfully decreased knowledge of SCP-2750 to the point of cultural fiction. Cultural knowledge of SCP-2750 among the Navajo people persists, though this is mostly for historical purposes, and not due to active belief in its existence by the majority of the population. Active enforcement of the Patterson-Gimlin Protocol for Navajo groups is not necessary.

Patterson-Gimlin Protocol

The Patterson-Gimlin Protocol is currently in effect for SCP-2750. Active awareness of SCP-2750 is to be encouraged as a cultural phenomenon due to the inability to properly contain awareness of the anomaly at this present stage. All personnel should consult the Procedural Handbook for General Containment for more information.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License