SCP-252-EX

rating: +60+x

Item #: SCP-252-EX

Object Class: Safe Explained

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-252-EX has been donated to the National WWII Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana. This document is retained for archival purposes.

Description: SCP-252-EX is a Mark 65 general-purpose aerial bomb, used by the armed forces of the United States during World War II and the Korean War. The words “The Pink Scare” were drawn on its side, likely with a pink-colored highlighter marker. Its appearance and properties are otherwise unremarkable.

SCP-252-EX’s anomalous properties allegedly manifested when activated with a remote switch. When flipped into the “on” position this switch (labeled SCP-252-A-EX) supposedly caused any persons within a 3.5km to temporarily experience same-sex attraction if they had previously self-identified as heterosexual. This effect was said to have lasted for 2-3 weeks for most individuals; in approximately 10% of cases, however, the effects were described as “permanent and irreversible by all known means.” Further examination of SCP-252-EX was impeded by its apparent tendency to prematurely detonate if disassembly was attempted.

It has since been discovered that SCP-252-EX’s documentation was entirely fictitious. Extensive testing has revealed SCP-252-EX has no anomalous properties and is identical to all other Mark 65 aerial bombs. A summary of the investigation that led to SCP-252-EX’s exposure and declassification is detailed below.

Internal Audit: SCP-252-EX first appeared in the Foundation’s database in June 2006. The project head for SCP-252-EX was listed as Thomas Lieberman, a Junior Researcher at Site-73. Because it is not standard practice for Junior Researchers to be in charge of research on even Safe-class objects, an internal auditor was sent to Site-73 to evaluate SCP-252-EX. Upon arrival, Jr. Researcher Lieberman and several of his colleagues vouched for the authenticity of SCP-252-EX, showing SCP-252-A-EX to the auditor and claiming he had discovered the anomaly by inadvertently activating it on May 29, 2006.1 Along with Jr. Researcher Lieberman, 9 other employees at Site-73 were listed as being affected by SCP-252-EX; only Lieberman was subject to the “permanent and irreversible” state.

Due to both all allegedly affected employees and Site-73 Director Norton vouching for SCP-252-EX’s authenticity, the initial audit upheld its classification. However, a later revision to the documentation which was allegedly made by Dr. Alto Clef drew suspicion due to its unprofessional nature. When questioned, Dr. Clef confirmed he had not made the revision and described it as “absolute crap.” Shortly thereafter, a controlled test of SCP-252-EX was conducted with D-Class personnel at the direction of the Region 3A (Texas/Oklahoma) Director. Extensive monitoring confirmed all D-Class used in the test retained their previous self-identified heterosexual orientation. Furthermore, several employees present at Site-73 during its supposed May 2006 activation confirmed upon questioning that they had lied about being affected by SCP-252-EX.

Once follow-up tests confirmed SCP-252-EX’s non-anomalous nature, a second audit was planned for all Site-73 anomalies. Prior to the audit, however, Jr. Researcher Lieberman and Site-73 Director Norton both confessed that they had fabricated the anomaly to conceal the former’s sexual orientation from his parents.2 At the time, the Foundation had not yet updated its Non-Discrimination Policy to include LGBT employees and Jr. Researcher Lieberman feared Sr. Researchers Adam and Martha Lieberman would use their influence to undermine his career prospects within the Foundation if they had learned of his orientation. With the support of his colleagues, Junior Researcher Lieberman fabricated SCP-252-EX’s documentation and purchased an inert Mark 65 aerial bomb from a specialty World War II museum store, also writing “The Pink Scare” on it to emphasize its fictitious anomalous effects. Jr. Researcher Lieberman then revealed his sexual orientation to his parents in July 2006 under the guise of being permanently affected by SCP-252-EX.

All members of Site-73 involved in the incident were subject to disciplinary procedures.3 After reassembly and cleaning to remove the "Pink Scare" lettering, SCP-252-EX was donated to the National WWII Museum through a front company.

Addendum: I want to reassure any personnel who come across this file that the Foundation has learned from this incident. Creating fabricated documentation of fictitious anomalies for personal reasons is completely unacceptable - but so is discrimination against our LGBT employees. We are all on the same side in the struggle to contain and understand the anomalous, and bigotry of any kind will not be tolerated at the Foundation. -O5-12

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License