SCP-239-DE

Item #: SCP-239-DE

Object Class: Safe Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-239-DE is to be held inside a cage furnished for rodents that fits the object's heightened urge to move and play. It should at least possess a size of 120x60x80 cm and be equipped with several climbing and playing supplies appropriate for its species. For hygienic purposes, a bowl with small animal bathing sand must be available. The furnishing is to be switched once per week to provide sufficient movement. Feeding is to be carried out with a special oil and flour seed mix specially designed for its species, with additional proteins and chopped fruits, dried berries, herbs, blossoms or nuts being granted as reward for proper behavior. A social interaction with staff is required daily to sustain the mental health of SCP-239-DE, and built and maintain a base of trust. Socializations with conspecifics is not possible, as the latter would either evade such situations or attack.

Every two days, SCP-239-DE is permitted access to a computer featuring a USB type A connector. Said computer may not be connected the local network, in order to mitigate eventual security breaches, and it is not to be provided with important or confidential documents. Care must always be taken that the programs and data inside the utilized computer are to be regularly switched to provide SCP-239-DE with adequate alternation.

Appendix: While SCP-239-DE inhabits a affiliated state, the name of PoI-0101-DE "ParaNora" shall not be named in any manner while close to the object to prevent potential theft, damage, or destruction of data. As a further security procedure, computers to which SCP-239-DE connects itself should feature no or at least a few visible icons on its desktop screen.

Description: SCP-239-DE describes a female Mongolian gerbil1 with yellowish-cream fur. 12 cm long from head to torso, it has a typical height for its species, but its weight of 200 g is unusually heavy, although this can not be seen from its appearance or behavior.

The tip of its tail is its most notable feature, on which a USB type A adapter in the same color as its fur is located. Despite this alteration, this does not appear to influence the movement or balance of SCP-239-DE.

Thorough body scans concluded that the majority of SCP-239-DE's inner body structure has been replaced with artificial, mostly electrical components.

Other organs such as liver, stomach or gastrointestinal track have not been replaced, so SCP-239-DE consumes a diet typical for its species. However, due to the heightened heartrate and bodily mass, its nutritional requirements are substantially higher than other members of the species. Additionally, these augmentations appear not to influence most of SCP-239-DE's senses in a positive nor negative way.

The sole exception hereby is the additional perception of electromagnetic waves emitted by computers it actively searches for. If SCP-239-DE finds a computer featuring a fitting USB adapter, it will connect to it by means of its tail to establish a link. In doing so, it draws electricity it regularly needs for its bodily functions. However, it will only do this on computers; attempts at connecting it with other sources of electricity, such as powersticks or connections with sockets, typically failed due to SCP-239-DE's reluctance. Longer periods without electrical nutrition are shown through dropping activity, more inert movements and slowing heart rate, possibly leading to the complete failure of the electronics and subsequent death of SCP-239-DE.

If connected, SCP-239-DE shows the ability to manipulate data inside the computer. It is able to click through folders, opening and closing programs, and load, edit, move, save, and delete files. This does not occur focused, however, but rather random, as if it clicks and moves everything curiously or simply for the sheer fun of it. It was also shown that it can save files from one computer that it finds interesting, and, if the need arises, load these onto another computer, comparable with gathering food for a storage chamber2.

Researchers could determine that it is possible to communicate with SCP-239-DE per text and simple chat programs while it is in an connected state. However, it only understands and writes in simple sentences, and will not respond to commands aimed against it. Language tests concluded that it is thus able to understand easy sentences in German, English, Mandarin, Japanese, and Russian, and to communicate in these languages.

SCP-239-DE generally shows the usual demeanor of its conspefics. It is exceedingly active and curios, but, due to previous experiences, tends to show a shy behavior, partially preferring to retreat. Other conspefics evade SCP-239-DE and attempt to flee from it, whether through flight or aggressive behavior, deeming a socialization impossible. It is therefore dependent on social human contact.

Discovery: SCP-239-DE was discovered on the 01/11/2019 in Site-DE23 when researcher Michelsen wanted to edit the latest research results inside his bureau. He noticed that the mouse cursor moved on its own, the text file dispensing random numbers and letter sequences, and his file folder opened and closed without reason. He wanted to alarm the local system administration, as he suspected a hacking attack by hostile groups who assults the network, before discovering SCP-239-DE on his computer.

After SCP-239-DE noticed the discovery, it detached from the computer, and attempted to run away, but was caught by researcher Michelsen via a wastebasket that he pouted above the subject. Then, he alarmed the local security forces who contained SCP-239-DE, and transported it into its current secure area for further testing. To date, the origins of SCP-239-DE could not be determined. Later examinations of the security cameras concluded that it apparently breached the site through one of the ventilation systems leading outside. Following this incident, the security measures surrounding the latter have been improved and more tight ventilation grilles constructed.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License