SCP-2327
rating: +53+x

Item #: SCP-2327

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2327 are to be kept in a woodland habitat in Bio-Site-34 and provided with food as specified by the chief zoologist assigned to SCP-2327, currently Ms E. Potter.

Personnel entering the SCP-2327 habitat are to wear full HAZMAT suits to ensure no exposed skin, a precaution to prevent accidental activation of an SCP-2327 instance's anomalous effect.

The population of SCP-2327 is to be kept between 15 and 20 instances. D-class personnel are to be introduced to SCP-2327 for this purpose. The resulting SCP-2327-1 are to be monitored via esophagogastroduodenoscopy1 at least twice - first after initial affliction to ensure successful implantation, and secondly after 35 days to ensure expected levels of growth. It has been concluded that the use of antacids will cause no adverse effects so are permitted for use by SCP-2327-1 and are to be made available in the on-site D-Class infirmary.

Description: SCP-2327 is a species of squirrel almost identical in appearance to the Eurasian Red Squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris). Individual members of SCP-2327 behave in a similar manner to Eurasian Red Squirrels and have identical dietary requirements. While usually not aggressive, members of SCP-2327 appear to actively attempt to bite, scratch or otherwise break the skin of their handlers. This is assumed to be related to their anomalous effect.

Foundation zoologists have concluded, based on observations of the behaviour of and sexual dimorphism displayed by instances of SCP-2327 compared to non-anomalous Eurasian Red Squirrels, that members of SCP-2327 are gendered. However, SCP-2327 possess no genitalia. SCP-2327, therefore, do not reproduce sexually, instead reproducing through anomalous means.

Within two hours of an instance of SCP-2327 piercing the skin of a human being (henceforth SCP-2327-1) an SCP-2327 embryo is implanted into their stomach lining. The mechanism by which the embryonic SCP-2327 is generated and enters the body of the stomach is currently not fully understood. Its presence has caused symptoms of acute gastritis in 10% of SCP-2327-1. However, all SCP-2327-1 instances have experienced symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, including nausea, dysphagia and heartburn. These symptoms get worse as the SCP-2327 instance develops into the foetal stage, at which point it begins floating around the stomach of the SCP-2327-1 instance.2 Interviews with SCP-2327-1 instances have revealed that the foetal SCP-2327 colliding with the lining of their stomachs is 'uncomfortable, bordering on painful'3, but a combination of antacids and painkillers is able to reduce the feeling.

Gestation for SCP-2327 lasts an average of 45 days, not unlike non-anomalous Red Squirrels. However, SCP-2327 instances are born with hair and open eyes and are capable of fending for themselves (non-anomalous Red Squirrels do not reach this stage until around 12 weeks).

At 45 days old, SCP-2327 push their way through the lower oesophageal sphincter4 of the SCP-2327-1 instances within which they were gestating. They then proceed to climb the oesophageal tract by stimulating the pharyngeal reflex of the SCP-2327-1 instance. In cases where the reflex has been insufficient, SCP-2327 have attempted to climb the oesophagus using their claws. SCP-2327 then burst through the upper oesophageal sphincter and leave the SCP-2327-1 instance via the mouth. SCP-2327-1 instances are often left with severe acid reflux and chronic irritation in their upper digestive system, but almost always survive the process.

The birthing process has a success rate of 92%. There are various scenarios that end in failures that fall within three categories:

• In 4% of cases, the SCP-2327 instance became stuck in the oesophagus due to its claws becoming firmly attached to the oesophageal wall, to the extent that it becomes impossible to attempt to flush out the instance by drinking and eating. Instances able to be removed surgically, but the SCP-2327-1 instance will perish.

• In 3% of cases, the SCP-2327 instance is unable to locate the lower oesophageal sphincter and begins attacking the stomach itself. This causes heavy internal bleeding that inevitably leads to the death of both SCP-2327 and SCP-2327-1 if the instance is unable to be removed surgically.

• In 1% of cases, the SCP-2327 instance passes down through the duodenum and into the small intestines. This inevitably leads to a blockage, as SCP-2327 instances are unable to survive in the intestines. The SCP-2327-1 instance can survive if the SCP-2327 is removed and a colostomy carried out by a surgeon.

Addendum 001 - AWPI: The first instance of SCP-2327 was discovered in the Lake District, England with a tracking beacon attached to its hind left paw. It was decided by Team Leader Graham that SCP-2327 would not be returned to the nearest site and that Mr Brooker, the team's amnestic-trained officer, would apply Class-B amnestics to the owner of SCP-2327 when he or she arrived to collect it. Instead, it transpired that the owner of SCP-2327, Ms E. Potter, was part of "The Atypical Woodland Preservation Institute", which had been breeding SCP-2327 instances as a conservation effort along with several other SCP Objects. Due to their knowledge of and help in containing SCP-2327, along with SCP-████, SCP-████ and Anomalous Item #█████, AWPI, along with its fourteen members and containment equipment, were merged into the Foundation.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License