SCP-2242
rating: +97+x

Item #: SCP-2242

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Refinement of the next iteration of FOS1 is currently in the final stages of testing before full-scale rollout to all Foundation servers, workstations, and mobile devices. Confirmation that SCP-2242 has not migrated is still pending final determination by Technical Researcher David Rosen.1

Following the changeover, a small LAN2 of approximately twelve stations will be maintained with FOS 14.1 at Site 15 for future surveillance and potential information exchange opportunities. Additional devices may be temporarily reverted to FOS 14.1 for research purposes at other facilities with approval from staff of Security Clearance 3/2242.

In the event of future SCP-2242 manifestations outside of FOS 14.1, non-essential access to all Foundation servers will be suspended until reversion to a stable and uninfected software iteration is completed.

Until total neutralization of SCP-2242 has been confirmed, digital storage of the following on any iteration of FOS is prohibited:

  • All documents requiring Level 5 Security Clearance.
  • All documents pertaining to extradimensional communication, dislocation, and integration.
  • Personnel files which have been updated within the last 90 days.

Description: SCP-2242 is a phenomenon affecting FOS 14.13 and all records accessed using this software. No prior iterations have displayed any similar anomalous properties. SCP-2242 is currently understood to be an extradimensional connection to the intranet servers of the Foundation from an alternate timeline. To date these two instances of the Foundation3 have only been able to interact by minor footnote and bibliographic reference alterations to documents with shared intranet locations.4 Notations from baseline reality have the conventional "Footnotes" titling of the in-text and post-text citations; notations from SCP-2242-1 are labeled as "Reference" in-text and do not appear in a post-text citation block. Access to the SCP-2242-1 version of documents occurs at random intervals when attempting to access any intranet location extant within both realities, and it is understood that this effect is comparable within SCP-2242-1.

Circumstantial evidence has led to the standing hypothesis that knowledge of SCP-2242 has not become ubiquitous among all Foundation personnel in SCP-2242-1 who would have had contact with affected documentation. It is instead believed that the information has been confined to personnel within the Information Technology Department, a small group of personnel from various other departments, and at least one member of the O5 Council.

SCP-2242-1 has thus far been understood to conform to the same theories of physics as believed to govern baseline reality. Current estimates based on collected data hypothesize SCP-2242-1 to be approximately 97% identical to baseline reality; while the differences between the two timelines have resulted in some variations, all major historical events appear to be generally intact.4

Discovery: The first appearance of SCP-2242 activity was recorded on 01/13/2016, approximately forty-eight hours after the release of FOS 14.1; this has since been identified as coinciding with the release of FOS 14.11 in SCP-2242-1.5 Integration of reference notations from both realities was complete within the following twenty-four hours.

Initial theories presumed that the notations likely stemmed from a non-anomalous source, with the prevailing theory quickly becoming that of a cyber attack by an unspecified GOI. The lack of any coding on affected pages to correspond with the notations from SCP-2242-1 was discovered shortly thereafter, prompting reevaluation for potential anomalous properties. Further communication with the authors of the notations led to the current understanding of the situation. Verification of this phenomenon as authentic and anomalous was not determined until O5-7 reported receiving a communication5 from their analogue within SCP-2242-1 confirming the existence of an extradimensional information breach.

Notable Statistical Disparities Within SCP-2242-1:


Addendum 01/29/2016: Recent reports from SCP-2242-1 confirm that the phenomenon has expanded to include additional realities.6 Preliminary communication between SCP-2242-1 and these new instances, which have been designated SCP-2242-1-(1~7), indicates that the phenomenon continues to be isolated within Foundation intranet servers across all realities. Of note is increased variation in the affected FOS iterations, which now range from version 12.5 (in SCP-2242-1-2) to version 16.1.1 (in SCP-2242-1-5). Non-essential access to FOS 14.1 has been suspended while the extent of this effect and the potential fallout scenarios are determined; reversion to FOS 13.6 is currently underway.
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License