SCP-2039
rating: +261+x
valley.jpg

Immediate aftermath of active state on ██-██-2003

Item #: SCP-2039

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Presently, Foundation efforts at Research Facility-2039 are focused on two fronts: prevention/minimization of collateral damage to the area outside the valley, and analysis of the phenomenon's history and behavior.

Containment assets stationed at Research Facility-2039 have been given the primary directive of containing - or neutralizing the possibility of - any collateral damage caused by SCP-2039 during an active state. This team has been given the secondary objective of monitoring the perimeter of the valley, to ensure that no civilians enter the area. During an active state, if personnel determine that the potential for collateral damage extends beyond the valley, the containment team will be mobilized. Direct elimination of subjects has proven impossible thus far; currently, subjects are only capable of physical harm through direct confrontation with other subjects. Operatives will therefore focus their efforts on disarming subjects, to neutralize the threat of further collateral damage.

The long-term goal of the staff at Research Facility-2039 is to discover a method with which to neutralize the phenomenon. To this end, Foundation sociologist/physician Dr. Wilkes has been selected to act as an undercover liaison between SCP-2039 and the Foundation. Dr. Wilkes has been able to gather information on both groups' histories, as well as the nature of the phenomenon itself, by performing periodic house calls for both groups under the guise of a local physician. Due to the subjects' sedentary history and apparent inability to exit the valley alive, researchers currently believe that subjects will not attempt to leave the area. However; should SCP-2039 become capable of leaving the valley, the potential for collateral damage has been deemed too high to dismiss as a possibility. Therefore, Mobile Task Forces across the region have been briefed on the nature of SCP-2039, to assist local assets with capture and restraint of subjects should it become necessary.

Description: SCP-2039 collectively refers to two distinct families of humans residing in a mountainous area near ████, North Carolina. The groups currently reside on opposite sides of a tributary that runs between two small, forested mountains. The predominant cultures and behaviors exhibited among SCP-2039 are typical of families who resided in the southeastern United States during the early 20th century; each family produces its own sustenance through hunting and basic agriculture, using weapons and tools indicative of the era. Subjects from opposing families are generally unfriendly towards each other, but rarely ever initiate direct conflict unless provoked. During interviews, subjects from both groups generally claim that their families have been in this state of incivility for as long as they can remember; however, most summaries of the feud's origins are either wildly inconsistent or extremely vague (excepting the account given by SCP-2039-P01; see Interview Log 2039-P01-19 for details).

Since the Foundation's discovery of SCP-2039 in 1904, none of the subjects have shown any signs of physical aging, nor have they ever attempted to leave the valley in which they reside. Attempts to remove subjects from the area by force have been met with extreme distress and violence, followed by cardiac arrest and death. Subjects remain deceased until returned to the area, where they will awaken at the end of the next active state (detailed below).

mabel.png

SCP-2039-P01 "Mabel" with -P33; circa 1907

SCP-2039-P refers to the "Pike" family, located on the southern mountain. This group consists of thirty-six individuals of varying age who reside in a number of small shacks and cabins scattered along the hillside. The group has no apparent chain of command, but all SCP-2039-P subjects generally defer to the instructions and advice of a certain elder member of the group (designated SCP-2039-P01). SCP-2039-P01 is a white female who appears to be between the ages of 60-75 years old. Subject claims its name is Dixie Mabel Pike, and prefers to be addressed by its given middle name, "Mabel".

blaine.png

SCP-2039-W01 "Blaine"; circa 1918

SCP-2039-W refers to the "Wagner" family located on the northern mountain. Unlike SCP-2039-P, the twenty-nine subjects that comprise SCP-2039-W reside together in one large plantation-style home built into the hillside. SCP-2039-W also seem to have a designated leader (SCP-2039-W01), a white male who appears to be between the ages of 55-70 years old. Subject claims its name is Blaine Randolph Wagner, and prefers the name "Blaine".

Occasionally, subjects from either group will enter an active state, characterized by violent tendencies and a compulsion to harm/murder all opposing subjects. A subject will only enter an active state if it believes that one of its family members has been harmed or threatened by a subject from the opposing group. Once this occurs, the subject becomes extremely agitated and hostile, and will immediately seek out other subjects from its group, causing them to enter active states as well. Once the majority of the group has become active, they will begin gathering weapons and tools from their homes, with the intent to engage in direct conflict with the opposing group. From this point on, these weapons and tools are collectively designated SCP-2039-A.

SCP-2039-A instances vary from one active state to the next; however, the level of technology demonstrated by these objects is usually anachronistic to the time period to which SCP-2039 adheres, and they frequently exhibit anomalous properties. Regardless of the nature of the weapons, subjects will always have full working knowledge of their operation. It is unknown from where in their homes subjects obtain instances of SCP-2039-A, or how they gain the knowledge required to operate the objects. Attempts at direct observation inside of these residences during an active state are invariably met with extreme hostility and violence. (See SCP-2039-A Partial Log for selected examples)

Once the active subjects have retrieved SCP-2039-A, they will advance towards the opposing group's residence, using the objects to attack all opposing subjects. This initial assault will inevitably trigger active states amongst opposing subjects, who will procure their own instances of SCP-2039-A and begin retaliating. If a subject becomes disarmed, it will continue the assault undeterred, engaging other subjects through hand-to-hand combat. The conflict will continue until either SCP-2039-P or SCP-2039-W is completely eliminated (including SCP-2039-P01 and SCP-2039-W01). Once this is accomplished, remaining subjects will retreat into their respective homes and fall asleep, regardless of the time of day.

After a dormancy period of 12-36 hours, all instances of SCP-2039-A will vanish, all collateral damage caused by SCP-2039 within the valley will instantly be repaired, and all subjects (both living and deceased) will awaken, completely devoid of injury. The subjects will then resume their daily routines and activities, behaving as if no conflict has taken place. Interviews conducted immediately after an active state reveal that subjects retain no memory of the conflict, with the exception of SCP-2039-P01 and SCP-2039-W01, who apparently retain the memory of every active state since the phenomenon's inception.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License