SCP-1927
  • rating: +20+x

crosswalk2.jpg

The instance of SCP-1927 first taken into Foundation custody just prior to capture, where it had disguised itself within a local pedestrian crosswalk.

Item Number: SCP-1927

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Any current and future instances of SCP-1927 are to be contained in a Specialized Terrestrial Biological Entity Containment Units at Site-45, with said units specially outfitted to allow the application of electric shocks of up to 5kV and adjustable coloration capable of sufficient variation and complexity so as to inhibit its adaptive camouflaging capabilities.

Captive SCP-1927 instances should be regularly fed singular live animals (preferably mammalian) of at least 70 kg each roughly twice a week, unless concurrent testing protocols dictate otherwise. Accelerated changes in growth or reduction in size, should be treated with appropriate precautionary measures for a potential reproductive event (See Addendum 1927 for more details). Singular live examples of any juvenile SCP-1927 instances generated from reproductive events of SCP-1927-1, and/or tissue samples garnered from such instances, are to be collected for study when feasible.

The existence of additional instances of SCP-1927 in the wild is presumed has been confirmed based on a continually-increasing body of local folklore, historical reports, and modern civilian law enforcement reports of unusual creatures largely matching SCP-1927’s description throughout central and western Australia;1 as such, any further such potential reports or records should be followed up by immediate Foundation investigation.

Description: SCP-1927 is a large, predatory, anomalous species of invertebrate that phenotypically exhibits traits (other than size) most common primarily with the Turbellaria subphylum of flatworms. Despite this, genetic analysis of the only successfully externally apprehended and contained instance to date (hence designated SCP-1927-1) has revealed a unique and highly chimeric genome consisting of genetic material from flatworm, tapeworm, tardigrade, and human genomes, as well as DNA that does not align with any known organisms, anomalous or otherwise. While multiple potential field sightings as well as local oral accounts and tradition all point to at least a small ongoing population of numerous such entities going back at least roughly two centuries, only one instance has so far been successfully apprehended by the Foundation.2

SCP-1927 instances are segmented and highly flattened, with a default thickness of no more than 0.3 meters at most beyond the head and a length of up to 18 meters. The skin can produce a unique acidic secretion that can slowly dissolve almost any organic substances as well as most oxidizable metals, along with a sticky adhesive coating to retain moisture and allow it to stick to a wide variety of surfaces and materials. Other than extended periods of extremely low oxygen levels or strong electric shock, SCP-1927’s body is highly resilient to a variety of generally hostile environmental conditions such as rapid temperature fluctuations, sharp objects, blunt force, highly caustic acidic solutions, and/or high localized or full-body pressures.

Though SCP-1927 instances do not appear to host visual or auditory sensory organs, they demonstrate high sensitivity to vibration, which appears to serve as the main method used to detect and pursue nearby prey. Basic olfactory abilities are suspected as well, though not directly confirmed. SCP-1927 has also demonstrated extremely versatile reactive camouflage, recoloring its outer surface in extremely high detail to blend in with its surroundings via the use of chromatophores, though how the organism is able to accurately reproduce colors and patterns without any detectable visual organs is not well understood. SCP-1927's 'head' is distinguished only by the presence of its mouth with circular rows of sharp teeth surrounded by an outer ring of 6 pedipalp-like fangs, and most of its internal biology appears to be related primarily or exclusively to digestion.

SCP-1927 is fully carnivorous. Its usual hunting process involves spreading itself across a suitable flat surface, using acidic secretions to dissolve a shallow cavity to nestle itself within if necessary, and ambushing unsuspecting prey that wanders too close. Larger prey may first be subjected to external constrictions3 while being subjected to SCP-1927’s acidic secretions to soften the living prey’s tissue for easier consumption. For non-human organisms, the actual consumption process usually occurs upon a resultant cessation of physical struggle by the prey animal.

Broadly speaking, as long as it remains fed and unthreatened, SCP-1927 generally displays relatively docile behavior. It will also enter an even lower-activity state in preparation for reproductive division, regardless of the exact method involved. At least three distinct reproductive processes have been observed from SCP-1927-1 while in Foundation captivity, though further as-yet-unconfirmed unique processes have been alluded to from local accounts and folklore.4 See the attached addendum for more details.


ADDENDUM: Reproductive Events


In the months following SCP-1927-1’s initial recovery and containment, the organism was subjected to variations in diet and environmental conditions with frequently novel and unexpected results, especially in relation to its reproductive abilities. A sample of particularly notable such results and the relevant preceding circumstances is compiled below:

Event 1927-RE1


Prior context: SCP-1927-1 was fed almost double its preliminarily established quantity of food consistently over a period of five weeks, in order to test for any resulting biological or behavioral changes.

Results: SCP-1927-1 was observed to suddenly enter a highly agitated state one day, attempting to climb the walls of its chamber several times in succession before ceasing and entering a restive state. However, just three hours later, its body was observed split horizontally along its midsection, resulting in two separate entities. The newer organism comprised of the lower half was observed to sport its own nascent mouth structure, and almost immediately began to display independent behavioral patterns and characteristics.

Additional Notes: After applying a precautionary electrical current to both organisms to temporarily inhibit movement, the newer instance of SCP-19275 was extracted from the containment chamber.


Update 1927-RE1: The newly-created instance was reintroduced to its containment chamber after an initial examination. Almost immediately, however, both SCP-1927 instances began engaging in directly hostile behavior towards one another; electrical currents were applied to stun instances before one or both suffered significant injury. However, given a lack of any additional available containment chamber with sufficient properties and precautions already in place, the decision was made to perform vivisection in the second instance, from which much of the Foundation’s current knowledge of the organism’s internal biology has been gleaned.

Event 1927-RE2


Prior context: Varying animal species were provided to SCP-1927 over a period of just over two weeks, often simultaneously, in order to gauge preferences in prey if any.

Results: Larger prey seems to be preferred regardless of species, with the exception of an even stronger demonstrated preference for human victims when given a choice between large animals (like cattle, kangaroos, or horses) and D-Class Personnel.6

Additional Notes: Notably, the subject’s screaming continued for almost three minutes after initial consumption by SCP-1927-1. Subsequent X-rays were arranged and showed that the muffled shouts only ceased once her head was separated from the rest of her body mid-ingestion. Despite this, the subject's mouth and head could be seen to continue moving for around another 137 minutes seemingly of its own accord, before digestion rendered any firm interpretation or conclusions as to the behavior of the head untenable. It remains unclear as to how and for how long the subject's brain and nervous system function were somehow maintained.


Update 1927-RE2.A: Persistent cognitive function and awareness confirmed in subsequent tests involving three other D-Class personnel through use of more specialized technology. However, access to the final analysis data by staff outside the SCP-1927 team and all planned future testing involving human subjects have both been halted following an Ethics Committee injunction.

Update 1927-RE2.B: Singular posterior segments consistently observed to begin to separate following 5 to 6 days after each human subject was consumed, physically somewhat similar in form to the new instance generated during reproductive event 1927-RE1 other than a comparatively smaller size and lack of multiple segments. However, due to a combination of insufficient notice and response time by staff as well as the increased size discrepancy, in each case, these new instances were attacked and cannibalized by their original parent organism before they could be separated for further study.7

Event 1927-RE3


Prior Context: SCP-1927-1's diet reduced to 60% of its then-current standard quantity of food consistently over a period of just under four weeks.

Results: SCP-1927-1 became increasingly restless and agitated over the first three weeks, before appearing to drastically weaken throughout the fourth. Eventually, it began to rapidly deteriorate in size, and soon began shedding flakes of skin ranging in size from approximately 0.5 to 3mm in diameter.

Additional Notes: Samples of shed material were collected from the chamber for further study, and food rations ramped back up to standard amounts.


Update 1927-RE3: Localized Biohazard Contamination Event; see Document IL.1927-RE3 for further details.




LEVEL 4/1927 SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED FOR ACCESS TO FURTHER UPDATES.



Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License