SCP-1896
rating: +160+x

Item #: SCP-1896

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1896 should be stored with the rope-portion coiled and fastened with a sturdy cable tie; a sealed plastic cover is sufficient protection for the tire-portion. The item is currently stored with the other Bonifay family artifacts at Research Sector-09 (see Addenda).

Description: SCP-1896 is a crudely-made swing, consisting of a hemp rope (approx. 3m in length) and an old automobile tire.

If left unattended, SCP-1896 will fasten itself to an invisible anchorage. The object will hang with the tire portion suspended 1m above the ground, rope stretching vertically and looped as if encircling a horizontal support.

For unknown reasons, this phenomenon will not take place while a human subject is physically observing the object. Video surveillance, however, has revealed that the rope-portion of SCP-1896 does not levitate but moves jerkily, as if it is being tossed. This “toss” will sometimes fail several times in succession before the rope "lands" successfully and anchors itself with several loops.

Once suspended, the anomaly will remain hanging indefinitely. Attempts to sever the rope while the object is suspended have been unsuccessful; however (with some difficulty) the anchoring knot can be unfastened by hand, and SCP-1896 will fall to the ground. These efforts have revealed that the object's apparent "anchor" is not only invisible but intangible: subjects have extended an arm through the taut loop without struggle or side-effect.

While levitated, the anomaly has been observed to rock and sway as if in response to a breeze, even while contained in a draftless room. Less frequently, the tire-portion will sag as if supporting weight and swing at measured intervals. If SCP-1896 is touched at this time, its motions will still and the "weight" simply vanish.

Tests with human subjects suggest that SCP-1896 is capable of temporarily distorting the sensory perceptions of those who sit or stand on its suspended surface. The intensity of these distortions increases in proportion to time spent in contact with the object.

Addendum 1:
A similar tire swing has been identified in ten of the twenty-six photographs contained in SCP-1890. Close examination of these images (particularly the distinctive rubber tread, which corresponds to models from the 1920s) as well as the results of Test 3 strongly suggest that the object in containment and the object in the photographs are one and the same.

Addendum 2:
See SCP-1928.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License