SCP-1710
rating: +396+x
Tree-new.jpg

SCP-1710-1 (to the left) and SCP-1710-2

Item #: SCP-1710

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: The natural park surrounding SCP-1710 has been enclosed as a preservation area for the Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio). Agents disguised as park rangers are to prevent access to SCP-1710. The hill SCP-1710 is located on has been surrounded by a sensor-equipped fence. A single sentry equipped with recording equipment is to be stationed near SCP-1710-1 in order to document its conversations with SCP-1710-2.

Description: SCP-1710 is the joint designation for a pair of English oak (Quercus robur) trees, located near ██████████, UK. Both instances of SCP-1710 are capable of emitting sounds from a location approximately 1.5 meters distance up the length of the trunk. Instances of SCP-1710 will imitate the vocalizations of the nearest mammal, avian or reptile, using them to communicate between themselves. Neither instances of SCP-1710 reacted to external attempts at communication with them. When imitating human speech, SCP-1710-1 will vocalize as an indeterminable number of voices, both masculine and feminine and of various ages and accents, speaking at once. SCP-1710-2 vocalizes using a single feminine voice.

Additionally, SCP-1710-1 manifests several other anomalies: SCP-1710-1's exterior surface has an average temperature of −67.25°C, though this does not cause frost to appear on it. If touched by unprotected skin it is also capable of causing mild lacerations upon contact due to its unusually sharp edges.

SCP-1710 was first brought to the Foundation's attention after it was accidentally caught on camera during the filming of independent horror film Horror at the Honey Glazed Abyss. The film, along with commentary by the director, was uploaded to a small video sharing website, where certain key phrases contained in it alerted the Foundation Automated Interception Service. The film was removed from the website before accumulating any views, and all those involved in its production were administered Class-C amnestics.

Addendum 1710-A: The following conversations between SCP-1710-1 and SCP-1710-2 were recorded at different points of time following their initial containment.

Addendum 1710-B: following SCP-1710-2’s comments, the Foundation began a focused monitoring effort centered on local publications in the ██████████ area. On the ██/██/████, an ad similar to that described by SCP-1710-2 was encountered. Foundation agents arriving at the address for the company listed in the ad (Skybound Antelope Reincarnation Services) found an empty office. The following printed pamphlet was found nailed to the office’s front door:

Are you tired of living that same old life? Do you fear the cold, merciless embrace of death? Are you looking for a change? Look no longer! We at Skybound Antelope guarantee a new life for every customer or your money/arcane secrets/tasteful nudes back! With our seven-point program, you too can experience perfect reincarnation, no fuss, no needless enlightenment:

- Security: we use only the finest soul extractors, no dents, stains or irreparable sins!
- Utility: a body specially chosen for your needs!
- Confidentiality: old enemies or pesky grandkids will never know!
- Kernel-centric: keep your old personality, minimal memory loss!
- Emancipation: gender, race, species, quantum state not a problem! Be what you want to be!
- Resource-efficient: no firstborn clause!
- Simplicity: a new life is just a handshake away!

Additionally, a handwritten annotation was found at the bottom of the pamphlet:

Just so you know, that acrostic was a pain in the ass to write. Fucking K is always a bitch. Oh, the sacrifices we make for our craft.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License