SCP-1587
rating: +149+x

Item #: SCP-1587

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1587 is to be stored within a padded crate of suitable size. Requests for access to SCP-1587 must be made in writing to site command.

Only one subject at a time is to participate in experimentation with SCP-1587. No personnel are to come within 3 meters of SCP-1587, or of its last position at time of activation, while experiments are in progress. A suitable mattress, pillow, and blanket are to be installed upon SCP-1587 prior to testing; these are to be incinerated upon completion of testing.

All personnel who have undergone testing with SCP-1587 must undergo complete decontamination before leaving the experiment area.

Description: SCP-1587 is a steel bed frame (1.93 meters in length, 3.4 meters in width and 1 meter in height), to whose bottom has been welded a metal box covered with several dozen unidentified glyphs in solder and gouache/acrylic paint, and containing an assemblage of circuit boards, gears, coins, doll parts, and a transparent computer mouse filled with human hair; this box, and/or its contents, is presumed to be the source of SCP-1587's anomalous properties.

When a live human subject enters REM sleep upon a mattress supported by SCP-1587, SCP-1587 will transport the subject and itself into an anomalous location (hereby referred to as SCP-1587-1), which appears to be based on the subject's dream. GPS devices taken into SCP-1587-1 have been unable to receive signal; however, audio, video, and other recording devices retain their functionality.

Upon arrival in SCP-1587-1, SCP-1587 will produce a 20-second audio tone (520 Hz, 90 dB), awakening the subject. The subject will then be able to leave SCP-1587, and travel within SCP-1587-1 for up to 6 hours. Subjects report being fully aware of their circumstances, having full control of their actions, and being able to physically interact with their surroundings. At the end of the 6-hour period, the subject will instantaneously (t < 0.1 s) be transported to SCP-1587, which will then demanifest from SCP-1587-1 and remanifest within normal reality; this will also occur if the subject experiences an injury which would otherwise be fatal. All such injuries are healed upon the transition to normal reality; non-fatal injuries, however, are not. Objects from within SCP-1587-1 will accompany SCP-1587 as it returns to normal reality if they are carried by the subject, or are otherwise close enough to SCP-1587; the exact proximity required has yet to be determined, as has the question of whether other parameters are involved.

Acquisition log: SCP-1587 was discovered subsequent to the murder of Professor [REDACTED] (of [REDACTED] University), who is presumed to have created it. He had been shot in the back of the head, while seemingly alone in his bedroom. The gun responsible (a Walther P38) was found at the scene, held in a hand attached to a severed human arm; the arm was wearing a brown shirtsleeve and a swastika armband. No traumatic arm amputations were on record in local hospitals within the previous 14 months; as well, the hand's fingerprints were identical to those of Professor [REDACTED], as was its DNA. The case then came to the attention of the Foundation as the result of a routine keyword search.

Investigation of Professor [REDACTED]'s home revealed that he kept a diary (henceforth Document 1587-M3); Document 1587-M4 (below) contains entries deemed relevant.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License