SCP-137-IT

Item #: SCP-137-IT

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Given the nature of SCP-137-IT, it is currently impossible to contain it in any way. However, Foundation personnel are called upon to monitor the presence of anomalous events related to it within the affected area, and to conceal its effects from the public; all monitoring and screening operations are coordinated by Site Virtus and handled by SIR-I ("Aureæ Notitiæ").

Description: SCP-137-IT refers to a particular phenomenon involving certain objects brought into the area matching the administrative boundaries of the municipality of Rome of the special local authority Roma Capitale. When brought into the aforementioned area, said objects risk undergoing an immediate dematerialization process, thus becoming irretrievable. Notably, however, this phenomenon acts on a probabilistic scale: every object at risk has a 0.0001% probability of being affected. These odds apply to all objects which may be used as back supports (e.g. beds, hammocks, sleeping bags, and so on). The percentage rises to 0.001% for all objects meant to be used as seats for multiple people, and to 0.01% when they are meant to be single seats.

Timeline: The Italian Branch has been aware of SCP-137-IT since its founding. The exact point in time where it was first discovered is unknown, but it is known that the Royal Institute of Italian Anomalies (RIDIA) was aware of it, as well as the Confraternity of Saint George's Knights (CCSG) and Janus' Order (OI), all groups historically present in Rome and related to the city.

The Foundation was able to better understand the reach of SCP-137-IT especially thanks to the latter's documentation. Among the most ancient records of the Order mentioning the anomaly, it was learnt how it seems to have originated in the founding myth of Rome, though in a slightly modified version. A letter reporting the above is attached below.

More documents provided by the Order state that SCP-137-IT seems to have expanded over the centuries, as new wall circles were built around the city; how that was possible remains unknown. The historical validity of what was stated has been proven by several letters and complaints retrieved over the years, both from ancient history and the Middle Ages onward. In these documents, several members of the Roman and non-Roman populace complained about their goods disappearing, especially furniture such as chairs and armchairs, as soon as they crossed the boundaries of the city.8

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License