SCP-1366
rating: +162+x

Item #: SCP-1366

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1366 is contained behind a 3m tall chain link fence, to be checked for breaks at least once weekly. 4 guards are to patrol the perimeter at all times. Motion-detecting cameras have been set up around the perimeter to detect breaches; Foundation agents should be prepared to respond to 1366-Outburst events taking place within 120 seconds. Individuals breaching or attempting to breach the perimeter are to be questioned and administered Class-A Amnestics before being returned to civilian populace.

The only road leading into Site-403 is guarded by a checkpoint in order to assure no individuals affected by SCP-1366 Outburst events attempt to escape. A 3-km perimeter has been set up in the woods surrounding Site-403 with olfactory, auditory, and visual deterrents throughout, with a quarantine perimeter at 1km; citizens have been informed that this is due to the town's status as a State Park. Inhabitants of Site-403 are unaware of their circumstances, but co-operative to Foundation agents, believing them to be members of the ██████ State Park Rangers.

Site-403: Site-403 is the town of Town of Siskin, ██████, USA, located in the northwestern region of █████ County. The 2010 census conducted by the Foundation shows that Site-403 has a civilian population of roughly 6000, with 400 extended families. The majority of the populace are farm or lumber workers, or work at local businesses. The total area of the town encompasses approximately 9.5km2, and is secluded in a heavily wooded area. Standard protocols for an Asphodel Class Nexus are in place.

The mayor of the town, the city council, and local law enforcement are to be briefed about the circumstances surrounding the containment of SCP-1366 and recruited as operatives with the clearance level E1/1366; however, they are not to have any knowledge of the Foundation beyond SCP-1366. Site-403 is to be maintained with a cover story regarding the town's status as a historic State Park.

Description: SCP-1366 is an abandoned sawmill located on the [REDACTED] river near Site-403. Originally built by the Siskin Logging Company in the 1820s, it was abandoned after a series of accidents, eventually resulting in the death of the owner, Wilhelm Siskin. Though abandoned for well over one-hundred and fifty years, SCP-1366 is remarkably stable, despite the exterior appearing to be on the verge of collapse.

When unobserved, the head saw of SCP-1366 will activate sporadically. Following activation, a single canted log of unknown origin is dispensed onto the log chute and deposited outside of the mill. The log, designated SCP-1366-A, is invariably carved on its interior with a piece of writing, typically 2-8 words in length. The writing will present itself in the form of a sensationalist headline of dubious credibility, which will may later be published as a news story in the local paper, the Siskin Gazette. Publication of stories occur regardless of whether or not SCP-1366-A has been observed by a member of the civilian populace, or even if SCP-1366-A is intact.

A 1366-Outburst event occurs approximately 68% of the time following the publication of the story. 1366-Outburst events cause major psychological changes in the populace, including xenophobic behavior, psychotic episodes, paranoia, increased promiscuity, bouts of amnesia, and failure to notice or acknowledge the disappearance of inhabitants of Site-403.

All Outburst events follow a distinct timeline:

  • Phase 1: The writing presented on SCP-1366-A is published as a headline in the Gazette, with an accompanying news story. Sources of the article are never cited, and fictional cities in several states and countries are often named. Stories typically are about incidents such as mass media influencing violent or deviant events, use of fictional drugs among teenagers, satanic cults, and serial killers. All stories will be treated as completely factual by the populace.
  • Phase 2: Residents of Site-403 discuss the story in public and among their families. At this point, the majority of the populace believes that the the story is of little concern; about 5% of the population show mild interest or concern.
  • Phase 3: Once approximately 85% of the population is aware of the story typically around 1-12 individuals knowledgeable of the story start deviating from their normal behavior; individuals will become more reclusive and psychotic in behavior, small groups will develop interest in activities or items such as listening to certain genres of music or playing table top games, and larger groups will start to experiment with recreational drug use.
  • Build-up: It is at this point that random acts of violence begin to occur. Slightly more mundane behavior includes greater frequency in parties and drug use among teenagers and young adults. Individuals will attempt to breach the perimeter surrounding SCP-1366 and use it as a secret meeting place or hideout. Subduing the instigators of this behavior at this point will result in the termination of the current event, leading straight to the dissipation phase. In the event that the Outburst event terminates prior to Phase 4, the corresponding instance of SCP-1366-A spontaneously combusts and is reduced to ashes within five minutes of ignition.
  • Phase 4: To date, there have only been ██ recorded Outburst events that have reached the climax stage. Events reaching this stage usually result in a mass murder, rioting, and outbreaks of disease, usually connected to or taking place within SCP-1366. Instances of SCP-1366-A corresponding to events that have reached the climax phase have been noted to have several centimeters removed from them, the amount cut off roughly corresponding to the number of fatalities that occurred during this phase.
  • Phase 5: Approximately 36 hours after the onset of Phase 4, all anomalous activity abruptly ceases. Surviving residents involved in the event return to their homes and soon forget about their experiences, saying that "the past few days were all a blur". Individuals who were terminated in the event will routinely be given a funeral within a week of their death. The town is effectively reset until the next Outburst event.

Addendum: Partial 1366-Outburst Event Log:

Addendum: Evacuation 1366-01:

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License