SCP-1340
rating: +355+x

Item #: SCP-1340

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1340 is to be held within Containment Aquarium Tank-3 at Research Site-45. Personnel assigned to SCP-1340 are to observe standard aquatic zoological containment protocols. 150kg of food pellets made up of ground krill will be deposited into SCP-1340's containment tank 4 times a week. Voltmeter and galvanometer instrumentation are to be installed within the tank to monitor and decipher fluctuations of electrical activity.

Field agents in coordination with the Mexican government are advised to report any sightings of the remaining population of SCP-1340 within the Ox Bel Ha cave system.

Description: SCP-1340 is a species of cave-dwelling electroceptive rays belonging to the family shared with other mantas (Mobulidae). SCP-1340 was discovered living within a large underwater chamber as part of an unexplored region of the Ox Bel Ha cave system near Quintana Roo, Mexico. All specimens of SCP-1340 are distinguishable by their large triangular pectoral fins, horn-shaped cephalic fins, large terminal mouths, fading or complete loss of pigmentation, and usually range from 0.8 - 1.1 meters in width. SCP-1340 also have a pair of vestigial eyes.

SCP-1340 possess two large electrocyte organs on each side of its head, where current passes from the lower to the upper surface of the body allowing bioelectrogenesis to occur. SCP-1340 mainly uses this feature to communicate by utilizing electrical signals of varying voltage, amperage, and frequency.

Foundation researchers and cryptanalysists have developed and calibrated an electroacoustic transducer for converting these electrical signals into audio, which is observed to be Spanish language. It is theorized that SCP-1340 may have learned to use Spanish language through exposure to man-made electromagnetic radio waves, specifically AM broadcasting.

Since deciphering this electrical activity, it is now known that SCP-1340 are actually sapient and highly social. The colony in captivity has been revealed to be a selective council of 118 inducted male specimens of SCP-1340. The colony has been observed to regularly discuss business and other current events in an open forum governed by principles of parliamentary-like procedure.





Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License