SCP-1290
rating: +304+x

Item #: SCP-1290

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: Research Sites 48-Alpha and 48-Beta have been established around the branch facilities housing SCP-1290-1 and SCP-1290-2, respectively. Activation experiments involving SCP-1290 have been indefinitely suspended pending a better understanding of its operational principles.

Description: SCP-1290 is a pair of prototype electronic devices that were built by Prometheus Labs as part of research into long-range teleportation. Each device consists of a platform 2 m in diameter attached to a 5 m x 20 m x 3 m main unit, both of which draw power from a dedicated generator. The two copies of SCP-1290 are located at diametrically opposed (antipodal) locations of the Earth, with SCP-1290-1 located in [REDACTED], Colombia and SCP-1290-2 located in [REDACTED], Singapore.

When an object is placed on the platform of SCP-1290-1 and the main unit is activated, the object is instantaneously (≤10 ms delay) teleported to the platform of SCP-1290-2. However, due to what is suspected to be a design or engineering flaw, the object retains its orientation and velocity relative to the axis of the earth. That is, when a stationary object enters SCP-1290-1, it exits SCP-1290-2 upside-down and traveling east at approximately 930 m/s. See Addendum 1290-01 for more information.

SCP-1290 came to the Foundation's attention following the closure of the Prometheus Labs main facility and was secured and contained on █/█/██ by elements of Mobile Task Force Mu-4 ("Debuggers"). The chief engineer in charge of SCP-1290, Dr. [REDACTED], is wanted for questioning by the Foundation and has yet to be located. SCP-1290 is currently being reverse-engineered by Foundation research teams in an effort to understand and replicate its technology.

Addendum 1290-01: Incident Report, Initial Activation Experiment on █/██/██

In order to establish the functionality of SCP-1290, Foundation researchers attempted to teleport a regulation 14-pound (6.35 kg) bowling ball from SCP-1290-1 to SCP-1290-2, resulting in three casualties and severe damage to the research facility and a neighboring warehouse. Until SCP-1290 is fully functional and the source of this flaw is identified, activation experiments have been suspended until further notice.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License