SCP-1223
rating: +179+x

Item #: SCP-1223

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1223 is to be stored in a standard containment crate in the on-site warehouse of Site ██. SCP-1223 is to remain in an unpowered state when not undergoing approved testing. When undergoing testing requiring a powered state, SCP-1223 must be secured in a sealed testing area and monitored via video surveillance. While in a powered state, only D-Class personnel may directly view SCP-1223.

Description: SCP-1223 is a digital photo frame manufactured by the █████ Corporation. Physical examination while in an unpowered state revealed no components unusual for other models of its product line. SCP-1223 possesses a solid-state hard drive with a capacity of 512mb and a 15x21cm LCD display. Electronic analysis of the hard drive determined that the drive is not storing any photo data.

In a powered state, SCP-1223 will display a blue menu screen when unobserved, standard for photo frames of its type. Upon being directly observed by a living human being (hereby referred to as subject), however, SCP-1223’s LCD will alter to a flat black screen with the words “HELLO” in large white text. Experimentation has shown that SCP-1223 must be within direct line of sight of an individual to activate; remote monitoring does not trigger the effect. Within six seconds of observation, SCP-1223’s screen will again change, this time displaying a person or object from the observer’s life. The photo will be displayed until it is directly observed by the subject. Once observed, the photo will again change after six seconds, displaying another event from the subject’s life. SCP-1223 has displayed a tendency to display photos of close individuals, objects or places that the subject displays a strong affection for.

Once observed for several iterations of photos, SCP-1223 will begin displaying plain text captions over the displayed images. Captions are typically descriptive in nature and written from the perspective of an outside observer addressing the subject. Recorded captions include:

  • Your mom sure loved her gift! (Displayed image: An elderly woman opening a birthday present.)
  • What a proud papa. (Displayed image: A young man holding a newborn baby girl.)
  • He’ll always have your back. (Displayed image: Two soldiers posing for a photo atop a burned Iraqi tank.)
  • This was the best night of your life. (Displayed image: A bride and groom exchanging vows.)

Upon observing a photo from their life, the subject will begin to develop symptoms of retrograde amnesia. Subjects will have difficulty remembering the events pictured in the photo, and will react with confusion if provided evidence of them. Repeated viewing of photographs displayed by SCP-1223 will result in the subject losing all memory of the person, place or object that was featured in the photos. The exact number of displayed images required before total loss of memory of the person, place or object varies between subjects. In one case, D-58134 was able to vaguely recall his childhood best friend until the thirty fifth sequential photo. In another, D-67312 was unable to recall any information about his mother after seven photos featuring her.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License