rating: +183+x

Item #: SCP-1221

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1221 is non-hazardous and contained in an Anomalous Vehicle Containment Bay at Site-██. Cleaning and maintenance is to be performed monthly; personnel are only permitted to enter SCP-1221 for these purposes and entrance is restricted to D-class.

By O5-level directive, all use and testing of SCP-1221 has been suspended indefinitely.

Description: SCP-1221 is a Mercedes-Benz O405 single-decker bus manufactured at the company's Mannheim plant in 1989. It was purchased by the ██████ Transit Authority and had an uneventful 10-year career. Upon its retirement SCP-1221 was acquired by the Foundation for staff transport (transport of SCPs or exposure to SCP incidents does not appear to have occurred). The operation of SCP-1221 is identical in all respects to a standard bus of its model. It attained SCP classification approximately 1 year after its acquisition, when medical staff noted a statistically significant increase in seizures at Site-██ which were traced back to users of the vehicle.

90% of subjects who enter SCP-1221 experience no visible effects. The remaining 10% are observed to develop a mild absence seizure disorder anywhere from hours to years after exposure. This is similar to typical absence seizure disorders, involving some seconds of loss of consciousness and blank staring without movement and showing characteristic patterns on EEG. Atypically, subjects commonly experience auras of déjà vu1 or jamais vu2 which are normally associated with other seizure types. Subjects retain no memories of the absences other than the occasional vague description of an 'out-of-body experience'. The disorder caused by SCP-1221 is in many respects more benign than otherwise: seizures are fairly rare, usually occurring yearly (although weekly seizures have been observed) and are invariably controlled with appropriate anticonvulsant medication. Many subjects may be weaned off anticonvulsants after prolonged treatment.

A small number (<10%) of affected subjects are observed to vocalise during seizures (as no memory of the events are retained, consciousness appears to remain impaired), inconsistent with the presentation of typical absence seizures. Generalised EEG discharges are still observed. The vocalisations have a common theme of [DATA EXPUNGED].


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License