SCP-1212
rating: +180+x

Item #: SCP-1212

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1212 is kept in a 5m x 5m x 3m containment cell at Site-██. Experimentation may only be performed with prior permission from at least two (2) Level 3 personnel, and the room is to be cleared of any residual body fluids or other detritus immediately after testing.

Any instances of SCP-1212 discovered within SCP-3311 are to be immediately be moved to Site-██ for long term storage.

Description: SCP-1212, while not in use, is a simple wooden bar stool with a height of 74 cm and seat dimensions of 38 x 38 cm. It does not possess any abnormal physical qualities other than a faint odor of alcohol, and there are no maker's marks or other identifying features present. When any living, mentally sound human being older than fifteen (15) years of age sits on SCP-1212, two occurrences of abnormal activity can be immediately observed:

  • SCP-1212, while leaving the occupant unaffected, changes shape almost instantaneously; ███ separate iterations have been observed (with none repeating), including:
    • a shiny metallic bar stool with bright red plastic seat
    • a crude wooden stool which appeared to have been painted very poorly with black paint
    • a smooth sandstone chair elegantly carved with unfamiliar square symbols which have as yet been unable to be conclusively identified
    • a low, square stool engraved with cloud motifs believed to resemble those manufactured in the late Chinese Qing Dynasty
  • The occupant appears to experience a full sensory hallucination and is no longer able to sense what is occurring around them in reality, while being completely unable to be removed from SCP-1212 (even using extreme methods; see Addendum 1212-A).

The occupant of SCP-1212 is then heard speaking to someone, but all attempts to record the other half of the conversation have so far failed. Usually, it becomes apparent that the occupant (hereafter referred to as 'the contestant') has been invited to participate in a drinking contest, and the contest begins regardless of acceptance or refusal of the invitation. All surviving subjects agree that the invitation includes two phrases similar in content to, "You must drink with me, in memory of those who sat where you sit and lacked the strength to understand their limits," and "We must curse those who were weak, and honor those who were strong." Sometimes, the contestant is spoken to in a language they do not understand, attempts made to bridge the communication barrier fail, and events proceed as normal. The contestant then, willingly or forcibly, appears to mime the following actions in sequence: taking a container of liquid from a surface in front of them; placing it to their lips; drinking its contents in one smooth motion; then slamming the container back down onto the surface. There is always a period of between thirty (30) and fifty (50) seconds between each sequence, presumably as the contestant waits his or her 'turn'. The contestant is always capable of speech, but is always interrupted by the drinking action - no interference of any kind appears to be possible.

Despite no actual liquid passing between the contestant's lips, they slowly begin to exhibit effects normally associated with alcohol intoxication, and as each sequence continues, the effects of intoxication become more and more severe. Nausea, slurring of speech and drooping of the eyelids and other facial features are usually the first in evidence, followed by bodily swaying, choking and vomiting. None of the mentioned effects appear to prevent the contestant from participating further - some contestants have even appeared to cease vomiting for the exact amount of the time it takes to take another drink, before resuming said oral expulsion of liquids. Subsequent testing of these liquids and the bloodstream of the contestants has revealed no alcoholic substances were ever present. The 'drinking' continues even after the contestant is seen to visibly suffer the effects of severe alcohol poisoning, usually typified by unconsciousness, limpness of body and occasional shuddering. Posture is still maintained, with no interruption to the miming actions.

The contest will only end when one of two conditions are met:

  • A period of time elapses that is no less than one (1) hour in length, with an average of one (1) drink per minute; of the ███ tests undertaken by the Foundation, only ██ contestants survived long enough to reach this point, and 95% of that group were unconscious (see Document 1212-B12). SCP-1212 then reverts to its normal shape, and will no longer react to the presence of the contestant.
  • Alcohol poisoning causes all bodily functions to shut down, resulting in death. Upon cessation of heartbeat, the contestant is released from SCP-1212 and falls to the floor. SCP-1212 then returns to its dormant shape and size.
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License