SCP-019-IT
rating: +25+x
Sea_urchin_tests.jpg

SCP-019-IT during the reproductive phase

Item #: SCP-019-IT

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: A single colony of SCP-019-IT is contained for research purposes in a structure for aquatic organisms at the Neptune Site. The pipes connected to this structure must contain gratings with spaces of width less than 2 cm (0,06 ft); in addition, the outlet water must be heated to 78°C (172,4°F) to denature the toxins produced by SCP-019-IT. Once every two months, 35 kg (77 lb) of vegetable material must be introduced into the tank to allow the specimens of SCP-019-IT to feed themselves.

Description: SCP-019-IT is a genetically modified species of marine organisms belonging to the Echinoidea class, commonly known as sea urchins. They are characterized by a round body that can reach a diameter of 14 cm (0.4 ft). There are no thorns on the body of SCP-019-IT, rather it posesses bumps that are connected to a venomous gland; when it feels threatened, SCP-019-IT releases from them a powerful neurotoxin in the surrounding area, which stimulates other specimens to release them in turn. The oral opening of SCP-019-IT has five sufficiently resistant bone-like plates to grind wood and small stones. SCP-019-IT is very adaptive and is capable of living in both fresh and salt water, at temperatures between -25°C (-13°F) and 60°C (140°F) and withstand pressures up to 48 atm (705 psi). SCP-019-IT can also enter a state of hibernation if there is not enough food for its subsistence.

SCP-019-IT reproduces by budding: when a specimen of SCP-019-IT reaches a body mass of about 40 g (0,08 lb), some specialized cells present on the dorsal area begin to reproduce rapidly, forming a new individual that comes off once reached the mass of about 12 g (0,02 lb). The newborn can reproduce itself after only 36 hours if it has enough food.

SCP-019-IT is capable of destroying entire ecosystems and cause the extinction of countless aquatic species in an extremely short time due to of its speed of reproduction, its adaptability and the lack of natural predators able to feed on it. For this reason, the SSM-II ("Legio Atlantidis") must investigate any news concerning SCP-019-IT and delete any specimen.

Recovery Log: A serious loss of fish occurred in 2016 in Marina di Sestri, Genova, attracted the attention of the Foundation, which sent the SSM-II to investigate. Analysis of seawater samples and fish carcasses revealed the presence of an unknown neurotoxin, particularly concentrated in an area about 400 m (1312 ft) from the coast. The area was explored through a modified 'Oceanus' drone that identified as a toxin source a large container resting on the seabed about 120 m (393 ft) deep. The SSM-II used a special ship to extract it and transport it to the Neptune Site, where it was opened; within it more than ████ specimens of SCP-019-IT were found. Twenty of them were contained to study them while the others were eliminated and incinerated.

Note of Captain Basilio Aramini, commander of the SSM-II:
SCP-019-IT represents an immense threat: just imagine what would have happened if that container had been opened. For this reason, I request the installation along the Italian coasts of sensors able to identify the neurotoxin produced by SCP-019-IT so as to be able to trace the free specimens.

Note from the Sixth Superintendent: The Council of S5 approves the request. The SSM-II can proceed with the creation and installation of the detectors both along the coasts and in the lake areas.

Addendum SCP-019-IT-A: During an SSM-IV ("Pugnus Ferri") raid, an aquarium containing four specimens of SCP-019-IT in a state of hibernation was found on a base of the "Occult Fascist Council". Further investigations led to the discovery of several encrypted documents concerning the creation and refinement of the entity, including a diary written by one of the researchers. The diary has been completely decoded, having been written with a relatively simple code; some pages are shown below.

Addendum SCP-019-IT-B: One of the documents found by the SSM-IV has been successfully deciphered. Its content is strictly reserved for Level 3 or higher personnel.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License