Glass Partition

rating: +30+x

Act I - Scene VI

Interior of a jail. A temporary holding cell is backstage left, and consists of a white bed, and bars surrounding its small area. Downstage center, a glass partition sits atop a table, with a chair on either side. Jazz sits on the bed, alone. She's wearing an outfit that looks ironically similar to that of a D-Class. She shifts between sitting positions and lying flat on the bed, not able to get comfortable. She looks miserable.

After a short period of time, a police officer walks on from front-stage right and crosses behind the partition, up towards Jazz's cell.

POLICE OFFICER
Visitor for Jazz Korbachev.

JAZZ
(surprised)
Oh… really? Who is it?

POLICE OFFICER
One Dana Parry.

JAZZ
(disappointed, and then surprised)
Oh… Oh?

POLICE OFFICER
Just follow me.


The police officer unlocks Jazz's cell door and opens it. She places Jazz in handcuffs and escorts her downstage, and into the partition chair. After a moment, Dana walks in and sits in the chair across from Jazz.

DANA
Hey, I came as soon as I got permission to. What's going on? How are you?

JAZZ
I've been better. Honestly it's just nice to get out of the house.

DANA
(slight chuckle)
You seem to be taking this a bit better than I would have expected.

JAZZ
Yeah… I don't know. I've been deeply depressed these past few days but last night was actually… peaceful? In a way, at least. I guess I just needed some time to think everything through.

DANA
And?

JAZZ
And I've come to terms with it. I'm… I'm glad I'm here. It gives the people out there someone to blame, someone to hate. Don't they at least deserve that much?

DANA
Jazz… there's something I really need to tell you. And… it may further complicate this matter… just a bit.

JAZZ
I'm listening.

DANA
Well… I did some digging and it seems like… jeez, how do I put this… it seems like maybe… the project was… sabotaged.

JAZZ

DANA
I… know that sounds like a lot but-

JAZZ
I know what you're doing, Dana.

DANA
No you don't, just listen-

JAZZ
This isn't going to make me feel better. Okay?

DANA
This isn't… I'm not trying to make you feel better! I'm serious, I have proof!

JAZZ
And what proof would that be?

DANA
I talked to Crystal-INE and they gave me documents showing that the project lead only organized a team of five people, even though there were actually six.

JAZZ
So somebody got added after the project started, what does that prove?

DANA
But I did some more digging, and I found discrepancies in readings and reports dating back a year and a half. There's no way this was accidental, it's clearly fudged numbers. Somebody was messing with the machinery from day one. Someone in the team itself was being dishonest.

JAZZ
You sound crazy.

DANA
This is crazy! It's crazy and it's not your fault!

JAZZ
(beginning to cry)
Just… ugh, why does this have to be so complicated? It would have been so much easier if you'd have never told me any of this!

DANA
I know, but we need to find the truth. If not for you, than in order to stop them from doing it again. Okay?

JAZZ

DANA
I'm going to get you out of here, Jazz, and then we're going to find out who's behind all this. Okay?

JAZZ

DANA
Hey. Hey. I have nothing to gain from lying to you. Please believe me.

JAZZ
…okay.

DANA
Okay. Good. Perfect. In the meantime, I'm going to talk to Michael about arranging a… legal team for you. If you, you know, catch my-

JAZZ
Yes, I got it. Just… whatever.

DANA
I'm sorry, I'd stay longer, but my husband is waiting and-

JAZZ
I'll be alright, Dana. Thank you.

DANA
See you soon.


Dana gets up and leaves. Jazz sighs, smiling slightly. The officer walks over to her and escorts her back into her cell. As she locks the door, Jazz looks through the bars at her.

JAZZ
Hey… there haven't been any calls for me yet… have there?

POLICE OFFICER
I'd tell you if there was.

JAZZ
(shaking her head)
That's what I thought.

POLICE OFFICER
You expecting a call?

JAZZ
I… no… I guess not.

POLICE OFFICER
Alright.


The police officer walks offstage the same way she entered. Jazz sighs heavily and lowers herself into her bed, looking up at the ceiling for a number of seconds before blackout.

End Of Act I

« Act I - Scene V | Demasqed | Act II - Scene I »

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License