Licensing Guide

Please note: if you are not a staff member, do not take licensing issues for offsite work into your own hands.
If you direct the creator or operator of an incorrectly licensed fan work to this page or suggest that they talk to staff, that is fine. Similarly, if you alert the Licensing Team to the issue so that they can deal with it, that is also fine. It is not fine to make threats about potential takedowns or represent yourself as an authority on the wiki's licensing.
The wiki has a Licensing Team for a reason. Let us help you.

For information regarding image licensing for use in articles, please see the Image Use Policy. If you've read the guide below but still have questions, please contact the Licensing Team directly at moc.liamg|gnisneciLPCS#moc.liamg|gnisneciLPCS.

In order for your derivative work to be kosher, you need to do two things:

1. Attribute the works that you're using to the wiki and to the specific author, if possible. For example:

682's Lovely Tea Party is based on "SCP-682" by "Dr Gears": https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-682

2. Add the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license (or CC-BY-SA for short) to the derived work. Doing this will release it under the CC-BY-SA license. Specific release statements may be found under the "For Specific Creator Types" tab.

Releasing it under the CC-BY-SA license means that people will be able to copy your work wholesale, and even sell it, provided that they properly attribute you and release their work under the same license.


Do not sell anything related to SCP-173's former image, Izumi Kato's Untitled 2004. The image is not released under Creative Commons. Commercial use of this property may result in serious legal action against the seller.

See the final tab "A Word on SCP-173" for more information.

Hopefully that wasn't overly intimidating or confusing. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact our Licensing Team!

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License