Join the Site

Introduction

So, you want to be a member of the SCP Wiki. Before you do that, there's a few things we expect all users of the site to know, and the process to join is a little less intuitive than you'd initially expect. This guide will hopefully make both aspects as clear as can be.

What Should You Know

Everything on the Site Rules

There's a good number of rules that site members are expected to follow when interacting with the wiki, and we'll outline some of the more important rules here:

  • Don't be a Dick. Rule Zero of the Wiki. Don't be an asshole to your fellow members, including but not limited to - harassment, personal targeting, racism, homophobia, transphobia, telling people "your article sucks balls" without explaining why it sucks balls, telling people "your article sucks balls" in general because I'm sure there's better ways you can phrase that, vandalism, spam, the list goes on. There are thousands of different, colorful ways of being an absolute annoyance to your fellow users. Don't do those.
  • Don't Vandalize. Mentioned it above, but to elaborate, "vandalism" is defined as non-dismissable changes to another person's article without their explicit permission. In a less robotic way, don't make changes to other people's articles beyond fixing a misspelling or broken CSS item without them allowing you to do so beforehand. Adding a forgotten rating module or changing "chooclate" to "chocolate" is fine. Adding unnecessary elements or changing existing sentences outright is not.
  • Don't Roleplay. Not onsite, at least. Users on the site are expected to not talk like they actually live in the SCP universe. The Foundation is fictional, and participating in the wiki is meant to be out-of-character.

Rights Agent Notice

Use of this website constitutes legal authorization for SCP Wiki licensing staff to act as your rights agents in cases where the copyright(s) of a work published on this site is infringed by a third party.

This authorization is limited to the removal of infringing content via section 512 of the DMCA, regional equivalents, or legal action. This authorization is via Informal Contract agreement, and is an extension of the formal agency authorization provided to licensing staff by the creators and copyright holders of SCP-173, the SCP Foundation concept, and the SCP Foundation logo.

Staff Procedures

The rules of this site and the procedures that govern it are made to help the wiki run smoothly and make the user's experience as comfortable as can be, so it would only make sense for the users to be able to see what happens and have a say in the proceedings.

All non-sensitive staff actions, along with any policy discussions, rule changes, etc, are logged on the 05Command wiki, which is separate from the SCP Wiki. On here you can see most things related to staff's work, including the individual teams' composition, recent changes to the site, internal discussions, and so on and so forth. While normal site members cannot directly comment on 05Command proceedings, we have the Staff Policy Discussion forum category, where all users can comment on said policy discussions as they occur.

Additionally, once you've been active for a while and feel like you can help contribute to the site's functioning, consider signing up to one of the semi-frequent staff recruitment threads on the site forums.

Wiki Membership

Wikidot Is A Platform

The SCP Wiki is hosted on a platform called Wikidot, which houses a number of other wikis: A TI-Basic programming resource, Half-Life mod lists, a comprehensive detailing of every concert Bruce Springsteen has ever done for some reason… Within those, stands the SCP Wiki as well, so to join you'll first need to make a Wikidot account, and then apply it for an SCP Wiki membership.

Membership to the SCP Wiki doesn't automatically include membership to any of the wiki's sub-platforms, such as the SCP Sandbox (a place to post Works-in-Progress) and the official chats (self-explanatory), since they're technically separate locations. Joining the sandbox is explained on the sandbox proper, and joining the IRC is explained in the chat guide. Any additional platforms, like Discord, will also have their own sign-up process.

Creating An Account

On the top-right corner of your screen you should see a sign-up/log-in button. If not, go here. Sign up to the platform1 (if you have any issues with that go to the official chatrooms and ask around), then apply for membership to this wiki by following the instructions in the next tab, titled "Submit Application". You'll see a small section where you can input text, where you're expected to include the sentence, "I will not submit any AI-generated text or images to the SCP wiki; I will follow site rules and respect community members." Input that sentence, nothing else.

Please note:

  • Do not use any email address with numbers in it or any hotmail email address, as there currently exists a bug which causes such emails to delay or not receive their confirmation emails.
  • The 'Facebook Integration' offered by Wikidot for account registration is currently broken, and could lead to issues using or recovering your account. We strongly advise against its use.

Account Requirements

Keep in mind the following rules when creating your Wikidot account and applying to the SCP Wiki:

  • Your username must follow our username policy. In short:
    • No names with profanity, slurs, offensive content or connotations.
    • No names implying wiki staff positions (e.g. Staff, Operational Staff, Moderator, Admin, Administrator, etc.)
    • No names containing "SCP", or implying specific, unique positions/affiliations in the Foundation or other fictional groups on our website (no SCP-173, SCPFan99, O5-Money, D-1234, MTF Leader, etc.)
    • No names with pre-established Foundation characters on site. (like Dr. Bright, Dr. Sophia Light, Able, or Alto Clef.)
    • No names that impersonate notable public figures (e.g. "Dr Joe Biden" is not allowed while "Dr Joe" is)
    • If you've already created your account, to change your name go here, and click on Edit next to your username. You can only change your account's username twice, so be careful.
  • You must be at least 18. This website contains mature themes and discussions, and we expect members to behave in a mature and adult-like manner. All members are expected to be at least 18 years old, and to have reached the age of majority within the nations of which they live. There are no exceptions to this rule, ever.
  • You may only have one account per person, and one person per account. No alts, no account sharing.
  • Please note that membership in various sites which have had adversarial relationships with our own is cause for an application to be declined.

Our platform comes with many of its own quirks and glitches, but we work with what we have. It is important to remember that if something doesn't work right, you're likely not the first person to discover this issue, and the chatrooms will almost certainly help you deal with the problem.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License