Glossary Of Terms
rating: +113+x

This page is a collaborative resource defining terms commonly used on the site or in the community. While erring on the side of inclusion and open to contributions from any site member, new terms should not be added to this page unless they've been used in published articles on the site more than once. While you don't have to cite sources, remember that links to articles that go into more detail can be very useful to people unfamiliar with specific terms. An important caveat is that these terms may not always be used consistently, that's just inevitable when we have so many different canons and alternate interpretations on the site.

Terms defined elsewhere (object classes, characters, specific locations, groups of interest) are omitted from this list to avoid redundancy. If you're not sure whether a term warrants inclusion, want to clarify a proposed definition, or think a definition already on this page should be amended, post in the discussion thread for this page to get feedback first. Feel free to comment on other people's suggestions and additions, if you think you have something useful to add!

In-Universe Terms

Terms that may be used in SCP articles, tales and GoI formats.

Article Format

Listed by typical order of appearance in an SCP article.

  • Item # — The numeric identifier for the SCP. Note that the formal name of an SCP is always "SCP-####", and not its number alone ("SCP-173", not "173"), although the number on its own is often used informally.
  • Object Class — A system of categorization based on the difficulty of containing the entity or object. See the Object Classes guide for more information, and definitions of the most commonly used object classes (Safe, Euclid, Keter), as well as some less commonly used object classes (including Thaumiel, Neutralized and Apollyon). More esoteric object classes may replace these, and supplementary classification systems may be used (such as adding a Threat Level, or using the Anomaly Classification System, which replaces "Object Class" with "Containment Class").
  • Special Containment Procedures (SCP) — Instructions to be followed to keep the entity or object contained. May be referred to informally as "conprocs".
  • Description — The section of an SCP article that explains in a clear and concise way what the entity or object does, and why it is contained. The description can be supplemented by one or more addenda, but you should be able to understand the basic function through the Description alone.
  • Addendum — (Plural: addenda) A section of an SCP article that either expands on specific aspects of the primary Description, shows the progression of information over time, or otherwise provides additional insight that does not fit into the Description block. Addenda can be posted on the main page or in separate supplement pages, and can include Experiment Logs, Exploration Logs, Incident Reports or Interviews.

Foundation Terminology

Other terms used in Foundation documents to describe their own personnel, facilities and containment procedures.

  • The Administrator — Mysterious figure in-universe, may (or may not) have been the Founder of the SCP Foundation. Possibly a member of the O5 Council, possibly the overall leader of the Foundation.
  • agent — An undercover Foundation field agent, typically capitalized when used as a title (e.g. Agent Smith). Note that not all field personnel employed by the Foundation are necessarily "agents" in this sense, nor do all such personnel have the title "Agent". See also: containment team, response team, Mobile Task Force, and researcher.
  • Anomalous Item/Anomalous Object (AO) — An object with anomalous properties too minor to warrant Special Containment Procedures or further research.
  • anomaly/anomalous — Foundation term for the objects they contain and research. Generally defined as anything that cannot be explained by current scientific knowledge. See also paranormal and anahuman.
  • Area — A type of Foundation Facility completely unknown to the public.
  • containment breach — Term used when an SCP object escapes containment. Could involve physically breaking out of a containment chamber, could also mean spread of knowledge about it outside of the Foundation.
  • containment chamber — A room dedicated to the containment of an SCP object.
  • containment team — Field personnel specializing in recovering or retrieving anomalous objects or entities. Members may or may not be field agents as well, but usually have a different title, such as "Containment Specialist". See also agent, response team.
  • [DATA EXPUNGED] — One of the two types of censorship used on the site, something that is "expunged" has been permanently deleted from all records, typically because the information poses a hazard in and of itself, e.g. if it's a memetic hazard. See also [REDACTED].
  • D Class — Foundation employees deemed expendable if necessary for testing or containment. See the Security Clearance Levels guide for more information, as well as the relevant Ethics Committee Regulations.
  • department — Organisations within the Foundation that specialize in a specific task, discipline or field.
  • director — The head of a Foundation Facility or Department. Typically capitalised when used as a title (e.g. Director Jones).
  • Disruption Class — Part of the Anomaly Classification System, the Disruption Class refers to an anomaly's ability to disturb the status quo or break the Veil if uncontained. In ascending order, these are Dark, Vlam, Keneq, Ekhi and Amida.
  • Explained (EX) — A sub-class of SCP object that has either been debunked as a hoax, sufficiently understood so as to be normal scientific knowledge, or so widely disseminated that containment is no longer possible.
  • Extranormal Events — Anomalous events that occurred too briefly to be contained.
  • Facility — A generic term used to refer to both Sites and Areas.
  • The Foundation — A secret organization that contains anomalous objects, entities, and phenomena through the creation of Special Containment Procedures. Usually just "The Foundation", only rarely referred to as the "SCP Foundation" in-universe.
  • Free Port — A larger and more formally recognised type of Nexus, an area that is inherently anomalous and entirely behind the Veil. This means that there is no need to try to conceal the existence of the anomalous from the people who live there, since they all already know.
  • Groups of Interest (GoI) — A Group of Interest is an organsiation other than the Foundation that is aware of the anomalous.
  • K-Class Scenario/K-Class Event — Hypothetical situations with drastic effects on normality or reality. The most well-known K-Class Event, the XK-Class Event, typically denotes a catastrophic event resulting in the destruction of human society, if not the entire human species, but various other scenarios have their own designations, used with varying consistency across different articles.
  • Locations of Interest (LoI) — A Location of Interest is an area with anomalous properties, often inhabited by a permanent community and requiring a more diplomatic approach to their containment. See also Unexplained Location, Nexus and Free Port.
  • Mobile Task Force — A Mobile Task Force (or MTF for short) is a highly-trained and specialized team that is deployed to various locations as needed to deal with specialized threats or conditions. Mobile Task Forces are designated by a Greek letter and a number (e.g. "MTF Alpha-7", "MTF Omega-15") and may have a nickname attached, similar to many real-life military units. MTFs are the elite personnel of the Foundation, and run the gamut from highly experienced field researchers to combat-hardened troops.
  • Nexus — An actively anomalous location supporting a permanent community. Originally defined and listed here.
  • O5 Council (O5) — short for the "Council of Observers, Level 5" or the "Overseer Level 5 Council". The highest authority in the Foundation, a council of 12 or 13 individuals who have the power to authorize or veto any action taken by the Foundation as a whole. O5 Council members are only known by their numbers (O5-1 through O5-13), are rarely involved in day-to-day Foundation activities, and are typically not allowed to contact any SCP objects directly for fear of contamination. Note that it's a capital letter "o", not the number zero.
  • Person of Interest (PoI) — An individual that the Foundation is investigating or observing due to their involvement with the anomalous. May have anomalous abilities, have had contact with an SCP object or be a member of a Group of Interest.
  • [REDACTED] — One of the two types of censorship used on the site. Something that is "redacted" is withheld from the article because the reader is not cleared to see the information, but would be made available to someone else with a higher Security Clearance Level or on a need-to-know basis. See also [DATA EXPUNGED].
  • researcher — A broad term for anyone involved in research and development at the Foundation - they may be referred to as a Researcher, Technician, Doctor or Professor, depending on their qualifications and specialty. Researchers can be involved in anything from figuring out how an anomalous object or entity functions to developing better materials and containment procedures. Field researchers may also accompany containment teams to assess the nature of uncontained anomalies.
  • response team — A heavily armed team trained to deal with security or containment breaches, typically at a secure Foundation site. Response team members are also sent into the field to escort containment teams when dealing with highly hostile or dangerous objects or entities, or when enemy Groups of Interest are involved.
  • Risk Class — Part of the Anomaly Classification System, the Risk Class refers to the severity of an anomaly's effects on an individual person, and how easily one can recover from it. In ascending order, these are Notice, Caution, Warning, Danger and Critical.
  • SCiPNET — The Foundation's intranet and inter-site database, used to sending emails between employees and for accessing SCP files and other documents.
  • SCP — An initialism for "Special Containment Procedures", and used informally as a short-form of "SCP article", as in, "I wrote three SCPs yesterday". SCP objects or entities are not formally referred to as "an SCP" or "the SCP" in-universe, although characters might do so informally, even using casual pronunciations like "scip" or "skip". Note that "SCP" is not an initialism for "Secure, Contain, Protect"; the motto of the Foundation is a backronym derived from "SCP".
  • SCP object/SCP entity — An anomaly assigned its own Special Containment Procedures. May also be referred to as Special Containment Projects (SCPs).
  • Security Clearance Level — Specifies the information that a Foundation employee is authorized to know, ranging from 1 (very limited) to 5 (beyond top secret).
  • Site — A type of Foundation Facility disguised behind a mundane front (e.g. as a corporation or government office).
  • Species of Interest (SoI) — Non-human species with anomalous properties.
  • Threat Level — A complimentary system to the object classes, assigning each anomaly a color code based on the danger it would pose if containment was breached. The threat levels, in ascending order, are White, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red and Black.
  • Undesignated Anomaly (UA) — An anomalous entity that has not yet been placed into containment. Temporary designation, prior to full documentation as an SCP object.
  • Unexplained Location — A specific place where anomalous phenomena too minor to be assigned Special Containment Procedures occur. See also Locations of Interest, as well as Nexus and Free Port for inhabited anomalous locations.

Anomalous Science

Terms used by the Foundation and by other groups to describe and categorise the anomalous.

  • acroamatic abatement — The processing of waste products and esoteric substance from anomalies into non-anomalous industrial effluent. See Everything You Need to Know About Acroamatic Abatement But Were Too Confused by the Name to Ask for an elaboration.
  • Akiva Radiation — Radiation linked to prayer and divine intervention, possible to measure and quantify in centiAkiva. A place with high levels of Akiva radiation has been visited or touched by a god, while a place with low Akiva radiation may be considered forgotten or forsaken by the gods. Named after a Jewish scholar and religious leader, the Rabbi Akiva.
  • anahuman/parahuman/superhuman — A human being with anomalous properties or abilities.
  • antimemetic — Antimemes (also known as counterconcepts) are ideas which, by their intrinsic nature, discourage or prevent people from spreading them. The Foundation has an Antimemetics Division investigating and containing anomalous antimemes.
  • Apex Tier Pluripotent Entity — An incredibly powerful being, possibly omnipotent. Generally used as a clinical term for a god (although not all divine beings will be "Apex Tier"), alongside alternative terms like pistiphage.
  • Aspect Radiation (ARad)EVE emissions intense enough to alter reality - the basis of thaumatology.
  • backlash — Random alterations to reality caused as a side-effect of thaumaturgy.
  • bozomorphic — Clinical term for anomalous entities resembling clowns. See the Dread & Circuses Hub for a summary of certain types of bozomorphic entities.
  • bureaucratohazards — A sub-class of semiohazards that affect bureaucratic systems, making certain entities not guilty despite committing crimes or violating rules.
  • carnomancy/fleshcrafting — anomalous techniques for altering and reshaping the body, most frequently practiced by followers of Sarkicism.
  • Cognitive Resistance Value — A measurement of the mental fortitude and resistance of an individual to mind-affecting anomalies, particularly those that are memetic.
  • cognitohazard — A term used to refer to objects that are dangerous to perceive. This could occur through any or all of the human senses, including sight, sound, smell, taste, or touch. Differs from an infohazard in that simply being informed about the cognitohazard has no anomalous effect. See also memetics.
  • ectoentropic — Entities or objects that produce energy or matter in an unexplained way, in apparent violation of the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics - energy (which includes matter) cannot be created, and entropy (the disorder of a system) must always increase over time.
  • Elan-Vital Energy (EVE) — Mysterious energy emitted from living beings and sapient anomalies that can power thaumatology. See this lecture for more information. May be referred to by alternative terms, such as Aura, Mana, Orgone or Qi (Chi/Ki).
  • essophysics — The scientific study of the physical embodiments or manifestations of abstract concepts.
  • extradimensional/extra-reality — Existing in or originating from an alternate reality.
  • hemovore — Clinical term for a vampire.
  • Hume — A unit used to measure the strength or amount of reality in an area. See the FAQ for more information. Named for the philosopher David Hume.
  • infoallergenic — An uncommon class of infohazard, capable of exhibiting both memetic and antimemetic properties. See also pretermemetic.
  • infohazard — A term used to refer to objects that have an anomalous effect whenever they are referred to or described. Differs from a cognitohazard in that cognitohazards require the anomalous phenomenon to be directly perceived, whereas infohazards may be spread indirectly, simply through people telling each other about them. Because of this, the effects of infohazards are often memetic. See this orientation for more information.
  • kinetohazard/kinetoglyphs — anomalous mental and physical effects that occur when an entity performs specific gestures and movements.
  • Large-Scale Aggressor (LSA) — Clinical term for a giant monster.
  • memeticMemes are the basic units of culture, ideas or behaviours that can be transmitted to others through communication or imitation. In the context of the Foundation, memetic effects are a sub-class of cognitohazards and infohazards that deal with the transfer of information. Ideas and concepts with anomalous memetic properties can spread much more effectively than non-anomalous memes, and may have anomalous effects on anyone exposed to them. Creators and users of anomalous memetic effects are referred to as memeticists. See Understanding Memetics and this orientation for more information.
  • metamorphic/polymorphic — Clinical term for shapeshifters, entities that alter their own form or appearance.
  • mimetic — entities capable of anomalous mimicry of another creature or object.
  • narreme — The basic unit of a narrative, much like memes are the basic units of a culture.
  • narrativohazard — A construct of independent, individual units of narratives (known as narremes) that collectively destroys stories they are part of.
  • noogenesis — Clinical term for the formation of a new consciousness.
  • Noosphere — The realm of human thought, encompassing dreams, concepts and ideas.
  • ontokinesis/ontokinetic — Clinical term for reality bending.
  • paranormal/paranatural/preternatural — alternative terms used to describe phenomena that the Foundation categorises as anomalous. Anomalous phenomena may also be referred to as occult, supernatural or transmundane.
  • pataphysics/'pataphysics — The scientific study of fictional narratives and their effect on reality. Includes the study of the fictional SCP universe itself by characters that are part of it.
  • psionics — The creation of supernatural phenomena solely through the power of the mind, including telepathy, telekinesis, precognition and clairvoyance. The scientific study of psionics may be known as parapsychology or as psychotronics, the later term mostly being used in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Individuals with psionic abilities may be known as psions, psychics, psykers, mentalists or espers. See this lecture for more information.
  • Pattern Screamer — Consciousnesses embedded within the fabric of reality. These entities do not exist, although they may have existed at some point in the past, and may be brought into existence if perceived. Also known as Pattern Dwellers.
  • pistiphage — An entity that feeds on faith, deriving sustenance and power from belief and worship. Often used as a clinical term for a god, a pistiphage may also be a Tulpa or Egregore, only existing because people believe in it. An Apex Tier Pluripotent Entity may or may not also be a pistiphage.
  • pretermemetic — Information that is selectively memetic or anti-memetic depending on the nature of the recipients or circumstances. Used by groups such as Herman Fuller's Circus of the Disquieting to advertise without attracting the attention of organisations like the Foundation. See also infoallergenic.
  • reality bending/reality warping — The anomalous ability to alter reality. May be referred to as ontokinesis or magic, although thaumatology is generally regarded as something separate. Humanoid reality benders may be referred to as "Type Greens" using Global Occult Coalition terminology, or as "bixbies", "ontokineticists", "Outside Observers" or "Objective-Reality Independent persons". See this FAQ, this orientation and this document for more information.
  • semiontological anomaly/semiohazard — Anomalies that disrupt the semiosphere to create universal axioms that should not be possible.
  • semiosphere — The medium through which information about reality travels before it is perceived or measured.
  • spectral entity — Clinical term for a ghost, spectre or spirit. May also be referred to as a posthumous entity, eidomorph or an ectomorph (an entity made from ectoplasm). See this document for more information.
  • spectremetry — The scientific study of spectral entities.
  • surrealistics — The scientific study of anomalies too incomprehensible or bizarre to understand, except through illogical thought and the use of agnostics.
  • Tartarean Resonance Energy (TRE) — Radiation naturally produced by demonic entities. Named for Tartarus, the part of the Greek Underworld where monsters and sinners were imprisoned.
  • Tartarean-Class Demonic Entity/Tartarean Entity — Clinical term for a demon. See the Undervegas Hub for a summary of certain classes of Tartarean Entities.
  • thaumatology — The scientific study of thaumaturgy, a term meaning "wonder-working" and referring to magic, miracles and the occult. Users of magic can be referred to as Thaumatologists, Thaumaturges or "Type Blues" in Global Occult Coalition terminology, although more archaic terms like "wizard", "sorcerer" and "mage" may still be used. When considered as distinct from reality bending, the phenomena studied by thaumatology generally follow more predictable rules and limitations. See this lecture, this orientation and this document for more information.
  • tychekinesis — Clinical term for probability manipulation, named for the Greek goddess of fate and fortune, Tyche.
  • Way — A anomalous connection between two locations, enabling rapid travel between them regardless of distance. Ways can facilitate travel into other universes, including to the Wanderer's Library. May also be referred to as a Rosen-Fortune Bridge or a Class-W transportation gateway. See this orientation for more information.

Anomalous Technologies

Advanced technologies existing within the Foundation setting.

  • agnostics — Substances that makes consumers more open to otherwise incomprehensible anomalous phenomena by altering their thought-patterns to become more illogical. See also surrealistics.
  • amnestic — Drugs, procedures, or devices that induce memory loss when administered to an individual. While sedatives with amnestic properties are not unknown to medical science, the Foundation's amnestics have much greater potency and specificity, enabling them to make civilian witnesses forget about anomalous activity. Although the exact details vary, see the Amnestic Use Guide and the Updated Amnestics Guide for more information.
  • apportation — Teleportation through thaumaturgy.
  • Artificially Intelligent Conscript (AIC) — An artificial intelligence created and employed by the Foundation's Artificial Intelligence Applications Division.
  • beryllium bronze — A metallic alloy frequently used in anomalous devices.
  • Bright/Zartion Hominid Replicator — A device capable of creating non-anomalous humans from raw materials. Individuals can be created at any age, and can be implanted with memories and skills. Essential to the function of SCP-2000, may also be used to create D Class personnel, and potentially other Foundation employees.
  • countermeme/memetic inoculation — An memetic concept, a counter-meme protects against or reverses the effects of an anomalous meme.
  • Dark Web — A cloud computing service operated by Marshal, Carter and Dark as a subscription service, enabling access to anomalous applications via ordinary computers. Used by the anomalous community to access services such as Void.
  • Deepwell server — Specialized data storage servers capable of preserving information across shifts in reality. See SCP-4800 for more information.
  • demonarcotics — Performance enhancing drugs made from demons.
  • demonics — A type of paratechnology that incorporates sentient entities referred to as demons, particularly into electronic devices. See this history for more information.
  • eigenweapon — An anomalous weapon of mass destruction, capable of causing widespread devastation and/or massive loss of life. See this tale for one history of eigenweapon development. Terms like eigenmachine may be used for similar devices intended for purposes other than destruction.
  • Everhart Resonator — A device for converting electrical energy into EVE, in order to power thaumatology.
  • Geas — The use of memetic agents to force a person to obey a set of rules or guidelines. The name comes from Irish mythology, where a Geas is a magically enforced prohibition against certain actions.
  • gnostics — The opposite of an agnostic, gnostics make one more certain and sure of things, although this does not necessarily make them correct.
  • Kant Counter - Instrument used to measure the Hume level of a location, that is, the amount of reality that is present. See this FAQ for more information. Named for the philosopher Immanuel Kant.
  • Memetic Kill Agent — A memetic hazard with a lethal effect on anyone exposed to it without the appropriate inoculation with a countermeme. Used to protect SCP-001 and other important data from unauthorised access.
  • mnestic — The opposite of an amnestic, mnestics are chemical compounds that enhance the user's memory. This can be used to bring back erased or forgotten memories, counter the effects of amnestics, and resist antimemetic effects. See the Antimemetics Division Series and the Updated Amnestics Guide for more information.
  • oriykalkos/orichalcum — A crystalline substance originating from Atlantis, capable of storing extreme amounts of digital data and eletrical/thaumaturgical energy. While very rare, the Foundation has successfully created synthethic oriykalkos as an inferior but mass-producible alternative. See SCP-6500 for more information.
  • PANOPTICON — A global surveillance network developed to detect and monitor anomalous phenomena across the globe. Composed of multiple covert recording devices, linked-in government surveillance systems, paratechnological constructs, Artificially Intelligent Conscripts and an array of satellites. Managed by RAISA's Surveillance Division from its headquarters at Site-7. See SCP-5900 for more information.
  • paratechnology (paratech) — Technology that relies on anomalous principles or components to function. More specific terms like paraweapon and parapharmaceutical may be used for specific types of paratechnology. These kinds of anomalies may also be referred to as wonders, magic items or technothaumaturgy.
  • Pickman-Sinclair Narrative Fluctuation Detector — A handheld device for detecting changes in the narrative. Related to the Law of Narrative Causality, and to pataphysics.
  • Scranton Reality Anchor — A technology that stabilises reality around it, preventing or restricting reality bending and anomalous interference. Occasionally called a Scranton Box, although that may refer to a somewhat different technology. May function through the use of the captured reality benders, although there are alternative explanations for how they work. See this FAQ and this Grant Request for more information, and this page for blueprints. Named after the in-universe inventor, one Robert Scranton.
  • Telekill (SCP-148) — A metal with the property of blocking or preventing anomalous extrasensory mental effects like telepathy and mind control.
  • Xyank-Anastasakos Constant Temporal Sink/Xyank-Anastasakos Constant Time Sink — Named after Dr. Thaddeus Xyank and Dr. Athena Anastasakos of the Foundation's Department of Temporal Anomalies. Capable of protecting a place or an object from temporal changes, or altering the passage of time to speed it up or slow it down within a specific area. See this page for blueprints.

Anomalous Culture

Terms used to describe events and practices involving anomalous individuals and communities.

  • anart — Short for Anomalous Art. This can be artwork with anomalous properties, or the use of the anomalous for the purpose of artistic expression. See this document and this lecture for further analysis.
  • anartists — Short for Anomalous Artists, and refers to anyone capable of creating Anart, such as members of Are We Cool Yet? or the Medicean Academy of Occult Art.
  • House Accords — A nonaggression pact between the Foundation, the Global Occult Coalition and the United States Deparment of Defense (specifically their occult branch, PENTAGRAM), signed in the 1960's. It governs the groups' simultaneous access to American territory and allows certain cooperative initiatives between organizations, including the exchange of files on anomalous objects.
  • normalcy/normality/baseline reality/consensus reality/mundane world — The apparently ordinary state of the world, which the Foundation preserves by containing anomalies. See also The Veil.
  • Normalcy Organization — an institution that conceals the existence of the anomalous from the general public. This includes the Foundation, as well as Groups of Interest like the Global Occult Coalition and national Paranormal Agencies such as the FBI's Unusual Incidents Unit.
  • Occult War — A conflict concealed from the public due to the anomalous nature of the participants and weapons used. This may occur concurrent with a non-anomalous conflict known to the public, for example the 7th Occult War generally refers to an anomalous conflict taking place during the Second World War. The dates and events of the preceding six Occult Wars are not as widely agreed upon.
  • paracrime — Illegal paranormal activity, investigated by organisations such as the FBI's Unusual Incidents Unit, and punished by imprisonment in institutions such as Paramax. Includes both the use of anomalies to commit conventional crimes such as fraud, theft and murder, as well as the breaking of laws specifically relating to anomalies, for example the illegal sale of paratechnology.
  • paracriminal — A paranormal criminal, such as the members of the Chicago Spirit crime syndicate. A paracriminal could be an anomalous individual who commits an ordinary crime, or could be a non-anomalous human who commits a paracrime.
  • The Veil — A term referring to the separation of the anomalous and the people aware of it from the rest of the world. Actively maintained by Normalcy Organisations like the Foundation that conceal anomalies.
  • Void — A Twitter analogue used by members of paranormal communities, operating on the Dark Web. This component illustrates the typical format of a post.

Out-Of-Character Terms

Terms that are likely to be used on hubs, essays, guides and discussion pages.

Site Terminology

Official Terms used on the site.

  • 001 Proposal — Proposals for SCP-001, usually named for the site member making the proposal.
  • Archived (ARC) — Pages that are outdated or considered low-quality, but were archived rather than being deleted outright due to references to them in other works. No longer done, except for guides and official pages. The term is occasionally used in-universe to refer to anomalies that were formerly assigned an SCP designation.
  • author page — Also known as "personnel files", these pages are written by site authors once they have written three or more successful articles, as a place to list their body of work. Their contents are entirely up to the author.
  • author avatar (AA) — Also called a self-insert or an original character (OC), this is a character considered to represent the author in the fictional setting. Can be grounded in reality, ridiculous and over the top, or anything in between. There's no rule requiring or prohibiting author avatars, but they will be held to the same critical standards as any other fictional character.
  • Blocks — the ten sets of 100 articles in each series, such as the "000s Block", "100s Block" or "1300s Block".
  • canon — A collection of articles by multiple authors intended to take place in a shared continuity and setting.
  • component — Pages designed to be imported onto various other pages via the [[include]] syntax in order to add new design, style or functionality.
  • creepy-pasta — a term for short stories or snippets that take the form of urban myths and scary stories that are often copied from place to place without attribution or provenance. In site terms, creepypasta are a sub-class of tales that are original work by site members and generally do not rely on the Foundation's narrative framework.
  • critique — Offering feedback on a draft or published SCP. Can be positive, negative or mixed, but must follow the Criticism Policy.
  • CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) — A coding language that can be used to alter the appearance of elements on the site. See this essay for more information on simple ways this may be used on the site.
  • Decommissioned (D) — As a site procedure, this refers to SCP articles deemed so egregiously bad that a story was wrote in which staff members' author avatars destroyed it, keeping the original article around as a sort of "hall of shame". This practice has been discontinued, and the decommissioned articles have been deleted (although tales based on them remain), but the term is still used in-universe.
  • draft — Any work in progress. Drafts are not allowed on the main site or in the forums; go to the SCP Sandbox Wiki for instructions on how to create a sandbox page for posting drafts.
  • essay — Informative pages written by members of the SCP wiki community about aspects of the site or writing process. See also guide and resource.
  • fragment — A page designed to be imported onto a single page.
  • GoI Format — An article written from the perspective of a specific Group of Interest, conforming to the format(s) laid out in that GoI's hub page.
  • guide — Informative pages officially endorsed by SCP wiki staff.
  • hub — Pages with a large number of links to related pages to enable navigation between them.
  • International (INT) — can refer to the foreign language branches of the SCP Foundation, to the International Translation Archive containing articles translated from those branches, or to the community of these sites. Individual articles translated from other languages are also tagged as "international". Note that foreign branches are named for and organised around language, not nationality.
  • Joke (J) — Joke articles are SCPs written in a silly or over-the-top manner, primarily intended for humor. Note that this doesn't mean that non-Joke articles can't have humor in them; they just have to be more subtle or rely on situational humor rather than the over-the-top humor typical of Joke articles.
  • O5 Command — The SCP wiki staff site.
  • offset — A way of creating multiple versions of the same page sharing a rating and discussion thread, by creating each version as a separate fragment page, then adding code to cycle through them. See this essay for more information on how this works.
  • resource — Resources provide in-universe information about the SCP Foundation, often as a collaboration open to new contributions. See also essay.
  • roleplaying — Acting as if the fiction of the SCP Foundation was real. Roleplaying is prohibited on the forums and official community spaces of the SCP wiki.
  • sandbox — A space that mimics the format of the SCP wiki, for posting in progress drafts. Many exist, including an official SCP wiki sandbox.
  • SCP Article — Entries describing anomalous objects or entities that are contained by the Foundation. The category includes Joke SCPs, Explained SCPs and 001 Proposals.
  • Series — A block of 1000 SCP articles. SCPs posted outside of the current range of acceptable SCP numbers will be summarily deleted. May instead refer to a Tale Series.
  • supplement — satellite pages to a main SCP article that contain interviews, reports, or logs that are important to the narrative as a whole but do not fit into the main page, either due to length or other considerations.
  • tale — stories, narratives, and in-universe reports written within the context of the Foundation, but without conforming to the template of an SCP article.
  • theme — A specific type of component that changes the aesthetic of the page.

Staff Terminology

Terms referring to the volunteer staff responsible for maintaining and improving the SCP wiki.

  • Staff — Staff are members of the SCP Wiki that have volunteered to be responsible for its maintenance, upkeep and policy. See this page for more information.
    • Junior Staff — Junior Staff assist with staff duties, and are reviewed periodically for promotion to Operational Staff if deemed a useful enough member of their team or teams.
    • Operational Staff — Promoted after a trial period as Junior Staff. Permitted to vote on most site policy proposed in O5 Voting Threads.
    • Mod Tools Users — Staff trusted with the ability to edit all pages (including locked pages) and to delete forum posts or articles in accordance with the deletions policy.
    • Administrators — Responsible for accepting new members to the site and banning abusive members.

Staff can be members of one or more of the following teams:

  • Ambassador Team — Facilitates communication between the English language SCP Wiki and the International SCP Wikis. Additionally, the team is responsible for settling any issues which may arise that involve other branches.
  • Anti-Harassment Team (AHT) — Handles harassment cases arising between users of the SCP wiki.
  • Community Outreach (CO) — Handles communication between staff and the on-site community, addressing and responding to site issues as a whole.
  • Critique Team — Responsible for providing critique on ideas, drafts and published works.
  • Disciplinary Team (Disc) — Ensures site behavior standards are met and enforced, responsible for punishing offending users and preventing disruptive individuals from engaging with the site further.
  • Internet Outreach (IO) — Staff that handle and communicate with off-site communities and the wider SCP fandom, responsible for conveying important events to casual fans and assisting new members in learning more about the Wiki.
  • Licensing Team (Licensing) — Ensures that copyright standards are upheld across the Wiki and its community. Responsible for determining if content is stolen or plagiarized, and guaranteeing that all used media are attributed correctly and legally.
  • Maintenance And Ancillary Staff Team (MAST) — Maintains and updates the site to ensure proper functionality. Tasked with carrying out deletions and quality control, and implementing elements to improve navigation, such as Wikiwalk footers and tags.
  • Recap Team — Reads, summarizes, and publicizes summaries of the discourse within the official Staff Discord, in order to maintain internal record-keeping and inform the community of staff events and activity.
  • Rewrite Team — Oversees and facilitates rewrites of articles within the deletion range. Additionally tasked with the preservation and maintenance of older articles.
  • Technical Team (Tech) — Maintains the technical assets of the site and implements new features.

Community Terminology

  • clinical term/clinical terminology — Using scientific (or pseudoscientific) words and phrasing instead of more commonly used equivalents and colloquial language - many examples are listed in the Anomalous Science section! This is used to make SCP files read more like a real scientific document - in-universe, Foundation employees would use these terms because they're more precise and professional than more widely used synonyms. See the Clinical vs Complex and Clinical Tone: Declassified essays for more information on getting this right.
  • cold-post — A page submitted directly to the site without any kind of review. Can be well received, but the term is usually used in a derogatory manner, referring to work posted by newer members that would have really benefited from receiving feedback and critique on the draft.
  • format screw — A term for SCP articles that intentionally violate some aspect of the standard SCP format or framework, generally because the SCP itself affects the documentation.
  • headcanon — Refers to individual interpretations of inconsistent, ambiguous or non-existent elements of canon - people use this term to describe how they imagine aspects of the Foundation universe, while recognizing that it's only one interpretation. A good example of this would be the exact strengths of the various classes of amnestics, or the precise nature of various K-class Events.
  • hook — The aspect of your article or tale that catches your reader's attention and makes them want to keep reading until the end. A hook has to inspire some sort of curiosity or emotion in your reader; it doesn't necessarily have to be at the very beginning of your article, but it does have to be early enough to make a difference. A hook can also be the aspect of the article or tale that keeps a reader interested after they're done reading; this can take the form of an interesting revelation or twist ending, and tends to be closer to the end of the writing.
  • Keter duty — In-universe threats to demote personnel to Class D or otherwise assigning them to dangerous Keter-class objects as a form of punishment. Considered a type of lolFoundation.
  • locked box test — An informal thought exercise often used to determine what Object Class on an object or entity ought to have. It is explained as such:
    • If it's locked in a box indefinitely and nothing bad will happen, it's probably Safe-class.
    • If it's locked in a box and we have no idea what might happen, it's probably Euclid-class.
    • If it's locked into a box and eventually all hell will break loose, it's probably Keter-class.
    • If it is the box, then it is probably Thaumiel class.
  • lolFoundation — Additions to an SCP article that imply seriously unprofessional conduct among Foundation personnel, such as reckless misuse of dangerous anomalous objects, as well as threats of punishment for such behavior. While generally considered to be too unprofessional for a serious research organization, there is still a place for it on the site.
    • NeololFoundation — Refers to the shift of more humorous and light-hearted, as well as narrative- and character-based, articles in the modern days of the SCP Wiki. A reimagining of lolFoundation.
  • SPC — The Shark Punching Center. A backronym created to make fun of people who misspell "SCP" as "SPC" (e.g. "I like the idea, but what does the Shark Punching Center have to do with it?"), subsequently turned into a Group of Interest.
  • Total Winner — Refers to articles that have reached a rating of +100 under 24 hours.

Additional Resources

Canon Specific definitions of terms can be found on the following pages:

Terms from the French Branch of the SCP Foundation are listed in the Prestigious Almanac of Terms and Academic Parlance Originating from the Universe of Francophonia (PATAPOUF).


Acknowledgements

In addition to the linked pages, this Glossary of Terms made use of the already existing Dr. Mackenzie's Glossary of Terms, as well as similar pages from the Portuguese and French SCP wikis.


Updating the Page

Further contributions are always welcome! See the top of the page for instructions.

This page is the responsibility of the Curation Team. If you have any questions or requests, contact staff via the #help-desk channel on the SCP Wiki Official Discord server, or via IRC chat #site17, or by messaging a member of the Collaboration Pages subteam.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License