Experiment Log 778
rating: +57+x

A record of explorations of SCP-778.

Test 1
Three agents with two-way radios and standard day-hike supplies instructed to follow SCP-778 until the trail ended.
Result: Sound of waterfall not heard. Trail ended after 7.6 km in an area of the park not reachable within that distance. Nothing unusual reported along the trail.

Test 2
Three agents with two-way radios and standard day-hike supplies instructed to follow SCP-778 until the trail ended.
Result: Sound of waterfall heard. Trail did not end. After 12 km, agents were allowed to return. Although it arrived in the same place, the trail back was reported as different from the trail they had came in on, and required uphill travel in both directions.

Test 3
Three agents equipped with GPS tracking devices instructed to follow SCP-778 until the trail ended.
Result: Devices recorded inconsistent movement within the park, at times moving much faster or slower than normal. Agents reported no anomalies and moved at a normal pace, arriving on a road approximately 20 km away from the entrance site. Sound of waterfall noted.

Test 4
Three agents dispatched to the road where SCP-778 ended after Test 3, instructed to follow it back.
Result: Area completely grown over. No sign of trail.

Test 5
Three agents with two-way radios and standard day-hike supplies instructed to follow SCP-778 until the sound of waterfall was heard, then to travel off-trail until the source of the noise was reached.
Result: Waterfall noises heard at 4.2 km. Traveling was immediately made very difficult by the presence of large shrubs and trees. Agents persisted using knives to cut down vegetation until encountering several large footprints resembling [DATA EXPUNGED]. Upon noticing several large shapes moving in vegetation in the distance, possibly [DATA EXPUNGED], agents immediately returned to the trail and back to the starting point without any problems.

Test 6
Three agents with overnight backpacking supplies and equipped with semi-automatic weapons instructed to follow SCP-778 until the sound of waterfall was heard, then to travel off-trail until the source of the noise was reached.
Result: Waterfall noises heard at 15.9 km. Heavy cloud cover at night made exploration and aural detection difficult, and team soon lost both the source of the noises and the trail.
Last radio transmission stated that they were going to set up camp for the night in an unknown clearing, "at the edge of some sort of field", before radios were switched off for the night. Radio was apparently never turned back on.
Communications operator at the base noted the sound of wolf-like howling in the distance, although wolves are not native to the area and this was never mentioned, and possibly never noticed, in the transmission. All attempts to recover the team have failed.

Note: Recommended that unless the situation changes, all off-trail exploration of SCP-778 be done by Class-Ds or by solo agents, to avoid excessive loss of personnel, should this happen again.

Test 7
One agent with two-way radio, standard day-hike equipment, and radio-transmitting helmet-mounted camera was instructed to follow SCP-778 until the sound of waterfalls was heard, then to travel off-trail until the source of the noise was reached. Noted that there was a dense fog that day that made vision beyond approximately 30 meters impossible.
Result: Waterfall noises never heard. Agent noted that the trail seemed to continue up a very steep, rocky alpine meadow, and was hard to see. Instructed to continue. Agent began climbing and became distracted and unresponsive, noting that the trail just goes "up and up and up". Contact lost.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License