Deliver Me

rating: +5+x

I wander in the dark blizzard while holding onto my wet cloak. The disdainful winds continue their assault, destroying my soul piece by piece. I forget how I got here, or why. Perhaps I’m looking for someone? Something? I wish I could stop as the bones in my legs are as frail as icicles. I wish I could submit to death as they cradle me like a babe. I pray to whoever will listen. Give me something. Anything. Even if it's eternal rest. Just take me away from this place.

My head hits a stone wall. Covering my growing bump and following the protruding earth until it leads me to an opening. I tumble down the entrance and a pillar halts my roll. Sweet warm blood flows through my tongue and out my mouth to make it bitter.
​​​​​​
The wrenching howls call to me from above. So I crawl deeper into the abyss as it revokes the foul winds. Although, after continuously squirming in the endless eternity, I trade one darkness for another. Blind and left to the jagged earth that surrounds me. Whoever listened to my prayer made a fool out of me. A cruel jest to mock my existence. Why? What crime did I commit to deserve this? Never in my life have I transgressed anybody or sinned to a divine creator. So why must this happen to me? Why am I even alive, if I’m going to be tormented by a cold and cruel existence?

Damn you.

Then suddenly, there is warmth kissing on my scalp. I raise my head and there is something beautiful twinkling. I chase it to where it shines inside a cavern. The more I follow its glimmer, the dimmer it became. I flew so that I couldn’t lose my light. No matter if it took days, months, years, centuries, or even if I die. I will not lose it.

It vanishes from my sight and I was blind again. I waver, rage, and weep from my lost love. So much that I take a misstep and fell into nothing. I rest my eyes for it will be no different than the familiar pitch-black I've known. I am tired of these games. Deliver me from the dark. Deliver me from the cold. From pain. From solitude.

"Traveler."

I wake to see a gargantuan being. A graceful star that is a king among kings. Despite its dimness, he shines brighter than most.

“What is your name, traveler?”

“I…don’t have one.” I croak.

“Why?”

“Perhaps I do not deserve one.”

“Why are you here and all alone?”

I jitter in silence and the star twinkles.

“I see you shiver. Hold me.”

"Hold you? I can't… You are far-reaching for me."

"Hold me."

I extend my arms far and wide, and I embrace the king. So warm. So beautiful.

"And what is your name, my king?"

"I am the one that shines. I am all of the stars as well as The Sun. I am Losas of Light and Mind. Now tell me why you are here, traveler."

"I wanted to escape that storm. That horrendous storm."

"The Black Storm?"

"You know of it?"

"I waged war with it…" The great star said with a somber.

"What happened?"

The Great One shines and the caverns gleam in a watery blue. The ceiling from above expands and shifts, fading to a cool sky with partial clouds. Under us is a blissful metropolis that absorbs the light and converts the energy throughout the city. At the center of it all is a moat filled with clean water and a garden that greets the people. Mormons and members bow to us. To him. One creeps up to the star and doesn't peek her head up.

"Losas… May I see my children?"

A flash of light bursts to reveal her beloved son and daughter standing before her. She rushes and embraces them with glee and tears. Expelling her broken heart, her regrets, and her love for them. My heart breaks as well. As much as I adore this scene, my being grows bitter and I don't know why.

"Do you not have a mother, traveler?"

I look up at him with a tilt of my head.

"A father? A brother, sister, spouse, or friend?"

"I am not sure." I whisper, "Do you know where they might be?" I ask foolishly.

The king remains silent for a while.

"My king?"

A horrid sound echoes through the skies. It slithers down and slams to the ground, taking away the almighty's warmth. The Black Storm rises in its shapeless form.

"Begone, Black Storm!" A Morman shouts. "You dare disturb the work of the Star King! He has reunited a family!"

"False." It booms.

The clouds grow larger and decent as they turned into shadows. They envelop Losas, and many people at the center began to fade away from their friends and families. The mother realized that she was holding nothing in her arms and searched desperately to find her lost children. The glimmering water in the moat and the garden is now but a dull grey stone floor.

"Your Star King lies." Black Storm bellows. "Building off of your ignorance and pain to create empty pleasures and fictitious joy."

The dark clouds spasm and bursts from his light. Losas gazes at his people, and they to him with uncertainty and despair. Even then, he was silent.

"Bring them back!" The mother shouts. Everyone turned their heads and bodies toward her cry.

"Losas, My Star King! Return my children to me! I beg of you and will forever be loyal to you."

"Return my father to me!" Another shout.

"Return my brother in arms! My poor sister! My dear friend! Please! Bring them back!" They all cried out to Losas, some on their knees or arms raised. Pledging their lives to him so long as they get to hold their loved ones again. The Black Storm's form had scattered and was crashing into itself. A wave of light washes the city once again, and all of the ones that disappeared had returned to their families. Hugging, kissing and wailing on the soulless nothing they hold.

"Black Storm, I will end you!"

The Star King and The Black Storm ascend to the skies as both grew immensely into giants. They claw, strick, and gnaw at each other. The grace had abandoned The King and was replaced with pure savagery to match the cruel thunderous howls of the Black Storm. As their war prolonged, they grew ever larger and decimated the lands and seas. Beams of light cut through titanious mountains as the winds blew dunes of ruble across continents. So many limbs were lost and regrown. The rain of blood from the heavens replaced the body of the ocean.

The Black Storm manages to puncture its icy shards through the King and attempt to tear off his head. But the Star King utilize what little light he could to blind them and escape from the battle. With that, The body of The Black Storm becomes the new sky.

The Black Storm ravages the world with its mania. The scenery fades to black and the cave tunnels return. The Star returned to me but its warmth was fading its light darkening. My hold on the mighty star tightens.

“In the end, I only delayed my inevitable demise by hiding here, like you. I have failed my people for a second time. And I will die knowing that.”

“What?! No, no, no, no please don't go. I need you now!"

"Forgive me, traveler. I do not know what else to do. I am… So tired."

"No! I just found you!"

I collapse and scream like I never had before. My vision smears by my tears and I could feel the star dwindle. Shining its tiny sparks into the dark fortress as my arms were able to envelop it.

"I can't go back."

“What is it that you desire? More than anything?”

“The warmth that you emit. The light that you bring. It may be selfish, but I crave more of it.”

Some time passes and the eyes of the stars gaze upon mine. He cradles me closer to him as my heart spurs in my chest.

"Your spark is greater than mine. Take my blessing. Take my power. Take me in you. Then, you will have everything that you desire. This is no lie.”

We drew closer. My lips brush softly on his, savoring his heavenly nectar. The numbness from my body flows out, and I feel the delicate and soothing cloak that has been with me. I hear more of the king. He is drowsy and their eyes go heavy as if they want to sleep. I hear creatures and people burrow themselves in the earth like the both of us, hiding from the cruel howling winds. But they don't need to be afraid anymore. None of us do. For I will save them all from this torment. I will give them what they have always yearned for. Yes, I will rise ever greater to bring you all the dawn.

Losas of Light and Mind dissolves into me. My body is now a beacon for all who wish to seek it. One by one, they all creep out from their holes and toward me. Desperate as I to rid the world of darkness. They repeat a chant in their tongue, and only now I can understand them. "A gift by a kiss of the Sun."

3

"What is your name?"

"I am Sunnieva."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License