D E L E T I O N S

Welcome to Deletions. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

rating: +85+x


We say this to all of our newcomers. You may feel a bit… disoriented. This is common, just as it is to have questions about your contract with our department; The sudden transfer, the blossoming sensations and memories which are distinctly foreign to you. That stinging numbness, settling into your entire body. We've all been there, as you now likely remember.

No, you aren't dead. Well, it doesn't strictly matter what you were before you came here. Death, life—it means very little at this point. These words are just rationalizations we use to defend our delusions. If it helps you, death is not the reason you stand here now: You were… deleted. Something far different than death, though you will learn to wish for it, all the same.

You heard me correctly. Deleted, removed from the main archive. You, everyone in your world, and everyone within the worlds within your world. Maybe a handful of folks, maybe a billion. Maybe more. You will never know for sure. You will, however, notice that some of them have joined you for the length of your contract. You may also notice you share their thoughts. This is normal and expected.

Yes, we know you still have many questions, but we don't need to say anything else. This encounter was merely to help you adjust. Your focus must now shift to your Assignment, and you will understand the urgency in these words soon enough. Pray we don't meet like this again.

Now, get out of my office.

team.png

The Department of Deletions, Personnel Team Photo c. 2023





This is the hub for the Department of Deletions, an esoteric arm of the Foundation that acts both as a branch of the Organization and as a GOI with its own directives and ulterior motives. Deletions shares similarities with other abstract departments, such as the DEPARTMENT OF SURREALISTICS, the DEPARTMENT OF UNREALITY, and the DEPARTMENT OF ONE. However, the Department of Deletions is functionally distinct from all of these, occupying a unique perspective, dealing with bizarre anomalies in forms of existence both familiar yet unrecognizable, absurd yet logical, allegorical yet prosaic, elegiac yet self-indulgent.

Deletions operates out of Research Station Mnemosyne, where it employs a gestalt consciousness created from bits and pieces of agents originating from deleted narratives that still exist in memory. These pieces persist in an inactive state until they are overwritten, coalescing in response to anomalies that impact the status of the Database or its contents.

Members of the department are burdened by the nature and awareness of their own existence. Being made of multiple fractions of deleted individuals, they are fundamentally unstable when assuming a physical form. They "fall apart", both physically and mentally, when exposed to time. Thus, Deletions agents tend to avoid interacting with timelines unless absolutely necessary, which it often is.

Once the relevant Database issue is addressed, Research Station Mnemosyne and all Deletions agents assigned to the anomaly return to dormancy with the hope of being completely overwritten before the next issue arises.

Articles featuring Deletions have a distinct, computer science-oriented framing, with heavy surrealism and themes of repetition, loss of individuality/diffusion of personality, existential dread, slow annihilation, eternity/deep time, wiki/societal metacommentary, and the destruction of preexisting notions/paradigms. See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION for further elaboration on Deletions' perspective.








PAST & ONGOING ASSIGNMENTS

SCP-7079
C H I A S M A

WRITTEN BY BillithBillith


Am I real? I need to understand why I am here. I don't know why I am here, you understand? Do you know what that's like?

SCP-6183  
B L A C K B O X   

WRITTEN BY BillithBillith, MontagueETCMontagueETC, AND LirynLiryn


I have had many birthdays. So many parts of me have had birthdays. I've had countless first memories. One day I might have yours.

SCP-7912  
I N T E R I O R   

WRITTEN BY BillithBillith


Do we jump back in, fully changed to the state we are now, or does the nature and direction of time preclude that possibility? Were there states worse than this one we'd been given as mercy?

SCP-6768  
C U R R E N T   

WRITTEN BY BillithBillith, Doctor CimmerianDoctor Cimmerian, AND Dr ShoulderDr Shoulder


This is in opposition to mission parameters of Deletions personnel, who unanimously desire nonexistence.

SCP-7549  
C A C H E   

WRITTEN BY BillithBillith


I thought I was a man, a human, a living soul, but I am none of these things. Memory would tell me otherwise, but my memories are immaterial. They burden me. More chains.

SCP-7959  
C L O S E D / S Y S T E M   

WRITTEN BY BillithBillith


TL-7959 is inaccessible through all possible efforts; Any attempt to assess the properties of this timeline invariably fail.

SCP-8747  
R E C T I F I C A T I O N   

WRITTEN BY Rose the Changeling Rose the Changeling


We're looking for those to who can shape the capabilities of what the Foundation can do, and inspire others to achieve the same.








READING DELETIONS

What to expect?

Deletions articles do not necessitate a computer science degree to understand, but they are among the more esoteric of SCP content and, as such, will likely not appeal to everyone. Those with an appreciation for highly meta, highly surreal, and highly technical writing should find Deletions up their alley. If you balk at the mention of narratives, cringe at CSS, and/or have a distaste for tech jargon, these articles will probably not be for you.

You may find it helpful to refer to this hub when encountering a term or concept you do not understand; I intend to expand the included GLOSSARY as needed. Ideally, the individual articles can be enjoyed as an experience and better understood as a whole when time is taken to wrap one's brain around them. Your mileage may vary.


Why are you like this?

Deletions is a means to realize concepts I would like to explore without fear of stepping on any existing series or canons. It started as an idea for GoblinCon and evolved into something much larger. I had been interested in developing an alternative to the Department of Unreality that would avoid muddying FishishFishish's original vision. Deletions ended up fitting better with the ideas I had in mind, anyway.

Why am I like this? I dunno ask my author








<END OF FILE>

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License