Alex Thorley Hungers For a Bagel


rating: +80+x

I'm hungry.

What a bizarre thought. Ever had one of those? Something utterly random. Inexplicable even — like one moment you're fine, and then suddenly you catch yourself thinking nonsense thoughts until you realize how stupid you sound.

Is any of this making sense? I hope so. But I'm still hungry. Extremely hungry, even. I wonder if I should order something now? Or… no, maybe I'll wait until later? Actually, I shouldn't do that. Not unless I was doing something really important.

But, of course, I'm not really doing anything at all. This room's been empty since I got here. Still not for sure why though, I wasn't ever given an explanation for it. Even if someone could explain, I’m not really worried. It's not like I got lost in some janitor's closet or something. Site-19 has plenty of people in it, I'm sure someone would've said something by now if I was anywhere but where I’m supposed to be.

But no, this is right. I can feel it. Oh, speaking of feeling things: I'm still hungry. Maybe it's time that I ordered something. But what should I order?

A bagel.

I— wait… who said that? That didn't sound like me. But I guess that also implies that I know what I sound like. And who really knows that, right?

I'm getting side-tracked again. I need to make a call.

I pull my phone out and begin to dial. But I'm not really sure who I'm dialing for. Hopefully it doesn't matter. Just tapping digits… one by one. And then it rings.

Ring…! Ring…! Ring…! Ring…!

Oh, come on — don't tell me I picked the wrong number again.

Ring—! "Hello? How can I help you?"

"Hi. Do you sell bagels?"

Click!

Oh. That's unfortunate. Maybe they don't sell them after all? I should probably try again.

Ring…! Ring—! "Hello? How can I help you today?"

"Do you sell bagels?"

He's been silent for a while now. I wonder if he's looking to see if they have them.

"No, but we sell donuts. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, that's fine. I'll be there soon."

It's not really fine, but he asks for my name and tells me to come by anyway. Guess that means it's time to leave. I'm not sure how to do that though. There are no doors anywhere. They're just gone. Maybe I can find a window somewhere instead. Or a skylight. Do you think ground lights exist? I think those would be neat. I'm sure they'd serve a purpose somewhere. But don't ask me about it. I just think they'd be cool to have around.

I manage to walk out of the room. The exit wasn't very far, even if I had to walk a few minutes to reach it.

I'm doing that thing again — maybe it's really time to leave.


Do you think your feet know that you're walking? I'm sure they're at least somewhat aware of it. One foot in front of the other, stepping on-and-on. Like little toy soldiers, even. The thought makes me happy.

I don't know where I'm walking to. I never did get the name. I'm hoping it's nearby somewhere — I can't imagine what I'd do if it wasn't. Maybe walk some more, actually. I think it's good for you.

There are some people nearby. A mother and her child. They're walking up to me now.

"Hi."

The little girl smiles at me and waves. She looks like her Mom.

"Hello, stranger."

I smile back and wave too. We do that for a little while actually. Just waving. Though I don't think her Mom likes me much. She just keeps staring at me like she's seen a ghost. She looks like a ghost too. Tiny, frail, and pale all over. The girl smiles at me some more before her Mom ushers her to walk away. I think they look like a happy family.

I wonder what that feels like… maybe I should make another call.

Oh, I'm walking inside now. It smells cozy. I think I'm in the right place. There's another lady standing behind a countertop. She's a blonde like me. Does that make us friends?

"Hi, can I help you?"

She's smiling. It's all big and wide, the type of smile you give to special customers. I feel like a special customer. There's something about the walls that makes me itch with joy.

"I ordered a donut."

"Oh, what's your name?"

It takes me a second to remember. Is that a bad thing? I think it's okay if we forget things sometimes. Even if it's probably important not to. It just kind of happens. Strange how things work — but I manage to remind myself regardless.

"Alex Thorley."

"I'm sorry, who?"

She tells me that there are no orders with that name. I try telling her it's okay. She smiles at me again before offering a bagel. I think it's maybe her bagel. One that she was reserving for herself. I take it and thank her, but she seems to have already forgotten who I was.

At least the bagel still tastes good.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License