Abuse and Harassment Resources

What Is Abuse And How Can I Recognize It?

This page is to act as a resource for identifying abuse, how to report it, and how to get help. This page uses as a reference the resources provided by PEN America, Durham University, Pew Research Center, and Right To Be.

Abuse in an online environment is any action that hurts or causes stress to another. Abuse can be perpetrated by a single person or a group; it can also effect either a single person or a group. Abuse can happen between strangers, within friend groups, in online communities, and in romantic relationships. Abuse can be intentional, but it can also be unintentional or subconscious.

Recognizing and acknowledging abuse is often difficult for those experiencing it, but keeping the abuse secret often only empowers the abuser to abuse others. It's important that if you're experiencing abuse, or if you're not sure, that you reach out to someone for help.

Abuse can take many forms, but three categories cover the majority of instances of abuse:

  • Harassment
  • Sexual Abuse/Exploitation
  • Emotional Abuse/Exploitation

While these will be discussed as separate categories, it's important to remember that these often overlap and any given action can correspond to one or all of the categories depending on the intent of the abuser. This is not an exhaustive list; abuse is a social phenomena that can vary from situation to situation.

What Is Harassment?

Harassment is repeated and targeted actions that cause or have the intent of causing harm or distress.

While harassing behavior can often be distinguished because it is outside of the norm, sometimes harassment can be part of the culture of a community. That can make it difficult to identify. This is not because the actions aren't harassment, but because they seem normal. In these situations the only option is often to remove yourself from the community.

Some examples are:

  • Excluding someone or treating them differently because of their sexual orientation, gender, religion, race, disability, etc.
  • Causing deliberate embarrassment. Even if the embarrassment is caused via truthful statements.
  • Impersonation with malicious intent.
  • Being intentionally rude, inappropriate, and inflammatory with the intent to provoke responses.
  • Exposing anyone to unwanted or offensive content.
  • Punishments unconnected to rule breaking.
  • Requiring one person to act or behave in a certain way while not applying the same standards to others.
  • Revealing someone's personal information.

What Is Sexual Abuse or Exploitation?

Sexual abuse is any act that is forcing or tricking another into a sexual situation or activity. The meaning of "sexual" here can be the overt, typical meaning, but it isn't always. Sexual gratification takes many different forms for different people, and you may have contact with someone in a way that you feel is entirely non-sexual but for them is sexual. This is still sexual abuse.

The form and mode of this abuse can vary. It may take the form of blackmail, wherein the perpetrator threatens to release compromising images or messages that you have sent if you don't send more. It may be partnered with emotional abuse, wherein the perpetrator ties emotional support to your providing them with some sort of sexually gratifying content. It may take the form of constant harassment, wherein the perpetrator makes you feel as if the only way to find peace is by giving into their demands. Or it might be a more passive approach, wherein the perpetrator posts something or sends messages that appear to others to be non-sexual, but to the perpetrator the idea that others are reading it or interacting with it is sexually gratifying. Or it can be overt and plain to see wherein the perpetrator posts or sends content that is clearly sexual in order to cause discomfort. When coupled with someone who has power or has a trusted role in your community, sexual abuse can become especially insidious.

The important defining factor here is that participants aren't giving or aren't able to give informed, positive consent.

Some examples are:

  • Sending unsolicited sexual messages or media.
  • Requesting sexual messages or media without consent or discussion of a sexual relationship.
  • Forcing or manipulating someone to consume sexual content.
  • Manipulating someone to partake in sexual acts - even when not with the perpetrator.

What Is Emotional Abuse or Exploitation?

Emotional abuse can be the most difficult type of abuse to identify. Emotional abuse is any act that is manipulating the emotions of another in order to cause them harm or to remove their agency or any act that is forcing or tricking another to support and validate the emotions of the perpetrator.

Emotional abuse can often be unintentional, but this does not mean that those suffering from it are not victims. This can make emotional abuse difficult to report, but it's important to remember that intentionality is not a prerequisite for reporting.

Some examples are:

  • Humiliation
  • Constant criticism
  • Threats
  • Blaming someone for actions which they are not responsible for
  • Removing individuality or personal agency
  • Isolating someone from other social connections or social groups

How Do I Report Abuse?

If the abuse or harassment is happening within the SCP community or in a community adjacent space:

Contact any member of the Anti-Harassment Team. If you are hesitant to contact AHT because of an interpersonal relationship or if you feel that they have not responded adequately to your concerns, bring the concern to an Administrator.

If the abuse is happening over some social media or other communications app:

Report the abuse via that service as well. De-platforming abusers is crucial in protecting other potential victims.

If the abuse is making you feel physically unsafe or you feel that it has crossed a line into illegality:

As a community, we have members from all across the globe and so it is nearly impossible to include here a section that addresses potential legal actions, and unfortunately many laws are not built for the successful prosecution of exclusively online harassment. However, that doesn't mean that such harassment and abuse can't or shouldn't be reported. When in doubt, contact the applicable authorities.

If you are receiving abuse that is making you feel physically unsafe, if someone has followed you between platforms to keep up abuse, or if someone has released sexually explicit content of you without your consent you should contact your relevant legal authorities assuming that your jurisdiction has laws against such.

How Do I Get Help?

The AHT team will investigate and punish anyone in violation of our Anti-Harassment Policy, but they are not a team equipped to assist with the mental and emotional effects of abuse. If you are experiencing distress or emotional or mental damage, please seek help. Help is available in many areas in the form of hotlines that will give you someone to talk to. This is often intended to help in a crisis and not be a long term solution, but the hotline staff can help to direct you to long term help and resources.

In the US, Victim Connect maintains a list of all major hotlines. They can be reached via phone call or text at 1-855-484-2846.

In the UK, Mind maintains a list of all major hotlines. Mind does not have a hotline service of their own, but Samaritans does and can be reached via phone call at 116-123 while Shout is available via text at 85258.

In Ireland, Mental Health Ireland maintains a list of all major hotlines. Mental Health Ireland doesn't have a hotline service of their own, however Samaritans also operates in Ireland and can be reached via phone call at 116-123.

In Canada, The Government of Canada maintains a list of all government sponsored hotlines. A general mental health hotline can be reached by phone call at 1-888-585-0445 or by texting WELLNESS to 741741.

In Australia, Healthdirect maintains a list of all major hotlines. They can be reached via phone call at 13-11-14.

In New Zealand, Mental Health Foundation maintains a list of all major hotlines. They can be reached via phone call or text at 1737.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License