A Risk, Taken
rating: +7+x

« An Opportunity, Gained | A Risk, Taken |

It’s been a while, hasn’t it?

Well then let me start out by saying you are one stupid son of a bitch.

Don’t respond. We’re going back to the old days, just me talking and you listening.

You know, with the other speeches I’d give you, I never wanted you to talk because I had everything I’d say prepared. Written down and practiced over and over. I didn’t have the answers to your questions ready, so I just had you not talk.

But now? I’m just pissed of at you. So don’t respond. There’s no script this time. I’m just going to tell you everything I know and you’re going to listen because you owe me that much.

I went out on a limb for you. I really, honestly thought you would be the one. The upstanding doctor. Mr. Right. Your record showed as much. How could I have been so wrong?

Sure you’ve acted the part. On the surface, you’ve been affable, efficient and studious. But I know what you’ve been doing, and so does the council. That’s right. They’ve investigated and shared with me the whole story.

So let me see if I can get the story straight.

You were good at your job and didn’t make any big errors. At least, nothing to get you fired or amnesticized. Everything was going good as it could considering the Foundation.

And then you found the file.

We don’t know who left it out. Maybe a forgetful junior researcher. Doesn’t matter. It was just a file about a noose made of human flesh or something, right? But you took it, didn’t you? You kept it.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know why you did it. Maybe you were curious and just didn’t think of all the hell that could rain down on you for taking it. Maybe it was some type of bid for power, but I’d be surprised if you could find any use for a screaming flesh noose. I just don’t get it.

And that wasn’t enough for you, was it? You liked having a file you shouldn’t have had, right? Your little secret? Because we know you kept going. You kept taking more and more. Dozens of files, copied and left in your hands.

As far as we know, you haven’t actually done anything with these files, and that’s the only reason you’re still alive. But you’ve still crossed the line. This kind of stuff doesn’t just resolve peacefully.

You got some big names too, didn’t you? The staircase, the red disc, the teddy bears, even the statue, huh? You’ve been busy. I know most people here have heard of these things, but actually getting their file is another story.

And here’s the kicker: you even found one of the 001 files. As mad as I may be, I have to give you credit for that. That’s a big deal. Mustn’t have been easy. I’m sure you’ve gotten quite a few scars from trying that one, however the hell you accomplished it.

But that was the tipping point. That was when the council couldn’t help but intervene. That’s why I’m here.

So why’d you have to do it? Curiosity? Power? You got power now, whether you know it or not. There’s quite a few files that the Foundation would like to remain…in the dark.

Regardless of your intent, you have stolen Foundation property and amassed a very dangerous amount of knowledge about Foundation operations. You are now an enemy of the council. If they knew the extent of what you’ve uncovered, they’d kill you immediately. But they don’t, because we don’t know what you could do.

Fortunately, the council is familiar with this threat. Reality-benders, anomalous individuals, people with close connections to important GoIs, we’ve got them all. And we’re still standing. And you know why?

Because we keep our friends close, but we keep our enemies closer.

Welcome to senior staff.

Watch your back.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License