"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Sir Arthur C. Clarke
"Technology is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral."
— Melvin Kranzberg
"To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction."
— Sir Isaac Newton
The early days of the paratech industry, as companies like Prometheus Labs form to capitalize on the potential of anomalous technology. Many important discoveries are made during this period, laying the groundwork for all future paratech research.
- Preliminary Report of J. C. Randall Upon His Party's Efforts... — In 1927, Doctor John Carver Randall led a team of experts on an expedition to explore the multiverse. They never returned. Written by GreenWolf
The Second World War, the concurrent Seventh Occult War, and the subsequent Cold War create a surge in demand for paratech, leading to a paratech bubble that will last until the end of the Cold War. This period is filled with numerous mergers of paratech suppliers as the market consolidates in order to better meet growing demands.
- SCP-2664 - Redline — In 1950, Joseph Stalin demanded a weapon for world domination. GRU Division "P" built a weapon for world peace. The year is now 1963, and that weapon wants the world. Written by A Random Day
- SCP-2630 - Stock of a Sort — The market seems awfully bullish today. Written by Aiden Eldritch
- Make Portland Weirder — During a massive music festival in 1970, a Foundation agent inadvertently ends up in Three Portlands and finds the UIU already waiting for her. Written by Jacob Conwell
- Operation LLEWYN DARK — When a contractual mind control satellite run by demons is struck down by a meteoroid, it's up to the Foundation to do some emergency maintenance. Written by AidenEldritch
- Grant Request for Utilization of Electro-thaumic Computers... — How do you deal with a growing demand for exorcisms? Prometheus Labs has the answer: build a better exorcist. Written by GreenWolf
- Grant Request for Genetically Engineering Low-cost Organic Automatons... — "Slave" is such an outdated term. We prefer the name All-Natural AutomatonsTM. Written by A Random Day
The fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War causes the paratech bubble to burst. An anomaly black market begins to emerge as old Soviet paratech stocks are lost and looted. The decline and eventual dissolution of Prometheus Labs in 1998 sends further ripples through the already reeling paratech market.
- Grant Request for the Construction of an Interstellar Science Vessel — Prometheus Labs has always dreamed big, and there's nothing around bigger than space. So the logical conclusion is to build a starship powered by a black hole. Written by GreenWolf
- The Bard of Ambrose — After years of work, Prometheus Labs has finally succeeded in creating an artificial intelligence capable of thinking like a person. The only problem is that it thinks it doesn't think at all. Written by GreenWolf
- T Minus — Witness the PL-76 Shiva: the power of a god, bent to the will of an artificial mind that questions the meaning of its own existence. The Foundation is going to steal it. Written by A Random Day
Repercussions (1998– )
The emergence of several smaller companies from the remnants of Prometheus Labs leads to increased competition within the paratech industry, driving a period of technological advancement and economic recovery. The paratech black market continues to expand as Prometheus Labs paratech lost during the breakup falls into criminal hands.
- SCP-2897 - The Bard of Analytics — What do you do with an AI capable of thinking that it doesn't think at all? The Department of Analytics thinks it has the answer. Written by GreenWolf
- SCP-2820 - Vaishnavastra — The Lord makes his presence known in many forms - including an AI-controlled death ray. Written by A Random Day
- Moonlighting — Building an android for an art show is clearly the best way to get back at your dad. Written by A Random Day
- SCP-2176 - Ghostlight™ — It's a lightbulb. Filled with ghosts. It's a ghostlight. Written by GreenWolf
- SCP-2308 - Futures Trading — As it turns out, time travel isn't a safe investment strategy after all. Written by GreenWolf
- The Analog Kid — What's the difference between a hivemind and two-way telepathy? Is there a difference? The answer may lie inside an abandoned machine shop in Three Portlands. Written by GreenWolf
- Avatara — After life is death. After death is rebirth. After rebirth is causing death. Written by A Random Day
- Grant Request for Investigating the Application of... — In 1988, Prometheus Labs unearthed the corpse of a god. This is what they planned to do with it. Written by GreenWolf
- SCP-2970 - Holy Misplacement — An immortal missionary, last survivor of a religion long lost to the ages, begs to be made whole. But how much does he truly know? Written by TyGently
- Operation AZURE PEREGRINE — Mobile Task Force Tau-5 "Samsara" in action. Written by sirpudding.
- The Lord of Endowments — The god of transhumanism. Written by sirpudding
- Samsara — The Warrior seeks revenge. Tau-5 seeks humanity. Neither of them realize that they are pawns of a higher force seeking to become whole. Written by A Random Day and TyGently
- The Fountain of Lamneth — You wouldn't download a car, so why would you download Cthulhu? Written by Aiden Eldritch
- To Be Noir Not To Be — There are only two things I hate about this job. The plasma cannon cleanups and the fanfiction reading. Written by Aiden Eldritch
- The Dedekind-Infinite Demographic — When a Discordian and anomalous WMD saleswoman starts cracking down on bad business, the UIU starts stepping in on personal request. Written by Aiden Eldritch
- SCP-2495 - Noir Dire — Leaving the mob is a lot harder than the books make it look, especially if the mob are those books. Written by Aiden Eldritch
- Permanent Waves — A couple of UIU agents, a bomb, and a chain-smoker. Just an average week in Three Portlands. Written by GreenWolf
- Hypervelocity — An adrenaline junkie snorts demons like cocaine and robs a cursed bank. Written by A Random Day
- Under Control — A young medium finds himself at the intersection of geas, magic drugs, necromancy, and unethical business practices. Written by TyGently