SCP-696
rating: +351+x

Item #: SCP-696

Object Class: Neutralized (formerly Safe)

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-696 is currently contained within a secure locker within Site-73.

Description: SCP-696 is a portable mechanical typewriter. No manufacturer information, serial number, or other identifying features are present on SCP-696.

SCP-696 is sapient, and is able to move its keys independently. However, it has expressed a reluctance to communicate unless loaded with paper and a ribbon of red ink. SCP-696 is also capable of understanding messages typed into it, allowing two-way communication. It is unknown how, as SCP-696 only appears to experience tactile sensations, but SCP-696 is able to distinguish between individuals it has communicated with. A majority of SCP-696 messages are typed in all capital letters in a verbose styling, and often include themes and imagery commonly featured in dark fantasy media.

Addendum: SCP-696 regularly requests to communicate with D-69601 and have him load it with paper and red ink for non-communicative purposes, citing a desire to write a novel for others to read. Permission was temporarily granted to test whether non-communicative products of SCP-696 possessed anomalous properties. D-69601 has been briefed on appropriate Snow Protocols, which are to remain active throughout the duration of testing.

SCP-696 produced fifty pages within the twenty-four hours, and continued at an increasing rate over the course of the test. Over the course of eight days, SCP-696 produced 666 pages of content, titling the novel "The Dark Gods of The Abyss." Testing with D-Class personnel confirmed that excerpts of the novel (tentatively designated SCP-696-1) held no anomalous properties.

SCP-696-1 is given to D-69601 to read, to test if reading the entirety of the text produces any anomalous effects. After completing SCP-696-1, D-69601 requested to speak with SCP-696. Request was granted under the condition that the wrists and ankles of D-69601 remain bound during the interview due to possible anomalous effects.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you. Stop.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License