SCP-4277
rating: +63+x
bullet_farm_compressed

A fruiting SCP-4277-1 instance found growing amongst a large shrub.

Item #: SCP-4277

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-4277-1 instances are to be housed in a secure greenhouse at Site-103. To promote healthy growth, SCP-4277-1 are to be supplied with appropriate metal salts (see document 4277-4, available on request). Any instances of SCP-4277-2 harvested are to be catalogued and stored for future study. Discharge of SCP-4277-2 should take place in a sealed indoor firing range, with decontamination of the firing range after testing to prevent unintentional release of SCP-4277-2 spores to the environment. SCP-4277 cultivation centres outside of Foundation custody should be neutralised with the utmost urgency. All SCP-4277-1 instances that cannot be taken into containment during neutralisation are to be destroyed on-site. Any sites where SCP-4277-1 has been cultivated or sites where SCP-4277-2 has been discharged outside of containment should be monitored annually for signs of SCP-4277-1 growth.

Description: SCP-4277 is a species of plant closely related to Vica faba (broad/fava/faba bean). Non-fruiting SCP-4277-1 instances appear visually identical to V. faba, but PCR gene sequencing has shown the extensive modifications to the parent genome (see document 4277-3). These modifications allow SCP-4277-1 instances to produce cellular machinery (organelles, enzymes etc.) not found in wild-type V. faba, which, under appropriate environmental conditions, results in SCP-4277-1 instances fruiting fully functional ammunition (designated SCP-4277-2).

Different SCP-4277-1 instances produce different types of ammunition, with cross-pollination having been shown to generate new types of ammunition (see document 4277-1: Test Log). A partial list of ammunition grown includes: .270 Winchester (hollow point); .50 BMG (armour-piercing); .22 LR (hollow point); 12-gauge (shot); .625 carbine bullet; .308 Winchester (blank); Mk II (fragmentation grenade). Document 4277-3 contains the full list of SCP-4277-2 instances catalogued, available on request.

Examination of SCP-4277-2 instances has shown the presence of spores contained within the bullet or mixed with the propellent. These spores are dispersed on discharge of a SCP-4277-2 instance and under favourable conditions will germinate to yield a new instance of SCP-4277-1. In order to fruit, SCP-4277-1 instances must grow in soil containing high concentrations of lead, iron and copper salts. Through a poorly understood pathway, these salts are accumulated and refined within the cells of SCP-4277-1. SCP-4277-1 instances can produce a range of explosive propellants, including nitro-glycerine (glycerol derived), trinitrotoluene (phenylalanine derived) and cordite. When not supplied metal salts, SCP-4277-1 instances will fruit much less often, and the ammunition produced is of very low quality. The quality of the ammunition and the propellant it contains depends on the SCP-4277-1 instance and the nutrients available to the plant during growth. Without proper care, munitions produced are of very low quality, causing jamming and other firearm malfunctions during testing. Testing has shown selective breeding and careful care during growth mitigates this effect, yielding high quality munitions that excel in controlled tests.

Investigations into the origin of SCP-4277 are ongoing. Foundation-held samples were recovered from a variety of locations (see document 4277-2: Incident Log), along with documents indicating marketing of SCP-4277-1 as an alternative to arms manufacturing for developing nations. The high energy cost for SCP-4277-1 to achieve bullet growth coupled with the rarity of metal-rich soils in which wild specimens can flourish means SCP-4277 struggles to fruit in the absence of active cultivation. However, SCP-4277-2 instances remain viable for decades if stored correctly and SCP-4277-1 instances retain the hardiness of V. faba which allows them to survive for years in the wild.

4277-1: Test Log:

4277-2: Incident Log:

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License