SCP-4125
rating: +79+x

Item #: SCP-4125

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: All instances of SCP-4125 are to be kept within a single ventilated containment cell in Site-14, which is to be exempt from standard janitorial protocols. Whenever an instance of SCP-4125-1 manifests, the cell is to be provided with unlaundered articles of clothing, unwashed dishes and cutlery, as well as the equipment necessary to clean the aforementioned objects and the cell around them. These objects are to remain available for as long as an instance of SCP-4125-1 remains active.

All instances of SCP-4125 are to be fitted with microphones for recording of vocalizations, which are to be filtered through a SCRA23 auditory cognitohazard filter, before being analyzed for possible signs of sapience. If an instance of SCP-4125-1 demonstrates any indication of being sapient or aware of its surroundings in its vocalizations, the current SCP-4125 research head is to be contacted. All communication during interviews with sapient instances of SCP-4125-1 is to go through an intercommunication device attached to a SCRA23 automated auditory cognitohazard filter.

Following Incident 4125-5, the recovery site of SCP-4125 is to remain under constant surveillance for the manifestation of further anomalous entities.

Description: SCP-4125 is a set of 14 gray-green boiler suits devoid of tags or other manufacturer information, designated SCP-4125-A to SCP-4125-M. The objects show damage consistent with approximately 10-20 years of exposure to underwater conditions, although all attempts at dating them have so far proven inconclusive. The objects completely lack openings aside from those for the neck, hands, and feet, rendering them impossible to wear for humanoid subjects.

At random intervals,1 incorporeal humanoid entities manifest within the SCP-4125 instances. These entities are collectively designated SCP-4125-1. Instances of SCP-4125-1 are only visible due to the large amounts of smoke2 they constantly emit, which tends to form into a generally humanoid shape within the SCP-4125 instance. Although incorporeal and incapable of manipulating their surroundings by conventional means, instances of SCP-4125-1 are able to manipulate objects through the SCP-4125 instance in which they manifest, often utilizing the sleeves of the suits to hold or grab objects. In addition, SCP-4125-1 instances levitate approximately 5 cm above the ground at all times. Despite this, SCP-4125-1 instances usually make motions resembling a shuffling, bipedal gait while in motion.

When left unattended, instances of SCP-4125-1 will attempt to perform various menial labor tasks if provided with proper equipment, including but not limited to cleaning their surroundings as well as washing unlaundered clothing and unwashed dishes and kitchenware, and renovating buildings and infrastructure. If no such equipment is provided, the entities will simply attempt to scrub available surfaces using the sleeves of the SCP-4125 instance, presumably in an attempt to clean them. Most instances of SCP-4125-1 are known to sometimes follow simple commands in English, Armenian, Greek, and Turkish.

Instances of SCP-4125-1 regularly emit noises similar to sobbing and audio static, and have been known to vocalize various often heavily muffled phrases in English at random intervals. Approximately 31% of these vocalizations, alongside 14% of assorted noises, contain auditory memetic cognitohazards known to cause the following long-term symptoms in listeners:

  • Difficulties in falling asleep.
  • Occasional short-term and long-term memory loss, including difficulty forming new memories.
  • Extremely vivid and often lucid dreams, with many subjects reporting dreaming of "impossible colors" and fractal shapes.
  • Self-reported increase in exhaustion
  • Self-reported feelings of alienation from and apathy towards the world around them
  • Periods of unresponsiveness to external stimuli
  • Flattening of emotional responses and affects
  • Frequent and uncontrollable bouts of melancholy and longing, with subjects often reporting feelings of immense nostalgia towards something they have never experienced, often associated with the vivid dreams that accompany the infection
  • Periods of uncontrollable sobbing at random intervals

After initial infection, symptoms usually begin to manifest in three to five days, with the longest reported time between infection and initial manifestation of symptoms being 41 days. Infection usually ends on its own after approximately 5-7 months. Amnestic treatment has proven ineffective.

Recovery:

SCP-4125 was discovered on July 3, 1986, when a cargo ship reported observing large amounts of smoke rising out of the ocean at approximately 47°N 140°W. The cargo ship contacted the Canadian Coast Guard, which in turn contacted the Foundation after discovering several smoking humanoid figures, later classed SCP-4125-1, attempting to clean and repair the wreck of an approximately 100m long cruise ship.

Analysis of the shipwreck revealed that a large spherical section of the ship's interior, including parts of the hull, are missing completely. This is currently presumed to be the cause of the wreckage, as all other damage to the ship appears to be caused by factors relating to the wreckage itself. In addition, the ship lacks all identifying information as well as most furniture, and would likely not be habitable to human subjects before sinking. Several rooms aboard the ship seemed to serve as storage for various electronic equipment of unknown purpose, all heavily damaged by prolonged exposure to seawater. A vast majority of the internal walls were painted with fractal patterns, some of which carry the same memetic cognitohazards as the vocalization of SCP-4125-1 instances. Despite no corpses being found aboard or near the shipwreck, several complete naval uniforms corresponding to no known military or civilian organization were found aboard, all showing damage similar to that of the SCP-4125 instances. These uniforms lacked all identifying information with the exception of a five-pointed tin star affixed to the cap in the spot of the cap badge.

Initial Foundation recovery of an instance of SCP-4125 occurred on July 7, when an unmanned exploration vehicle recovered the object now classed SCP-4125-A, then believed to be a non-anomalous jumpsuit. Shortly after being taken aboard the SCPS █████, the entity later classed as SCP-4125-A-1 manifested and began to scrub the deck using its sleeves before being subdued by security personnel. As the Foundation remained unsure of the anomalous properties of SCP-4125-1 instances, the decision was made to wait until the instances demanifested and then recover the inert SCP-4125 instances.

Incident 4125-4:

On March 13, 1991, SCP-4125-E-57 vocalized the following statement during washing of Foundation jumpsuits:

[unintelligible] logo. Can it be [unintelligible] can't be the Foundation [unintelligible] same people who [unintelligible] Can you hear me? Can anyone hear me? If anyone can hear me, please [REDACTED BY SCRA23] speak [REDACTED BY SCRA23] name is [unintelligible] please speak to [REDACTED BY SCRA23]

This marks the first sign of self-awareness observed from an instance of SCP-4125-1. Following the possible discovery of sapience in SCP-4125-E-57, standard interview protocols were conducted.

On April 30, 1991, SCP-4125-E-57 demanifested as normal. Five days later, approximately 41% of Site-14 personnel were found to suffer from the cognitohazardous effects of SCP-4125-1 instances, despite never having been in contact with an instance of SCP-4125-1. The cause of this is currently unknown.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License