SCP-4108
rating: +34+x

Item #: SCP-4108

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-4108-01, -02, -03, -05, -06 and -09 are kept in a reinforced greenhouse within Biological Research Site-104. The containment unit is coated in heat-resistant alloy, environmentally regulated to resemble subarctic climate and fitted with automated UV-light, air control, fertilization and ground watering. SCP-4108 specimens must be kept at least 5 m from each other and at least 1 m from the containment cell's inner walls. All specimens are required to have their designation and orientation painted on their trunk. SCP-4108 are not to be exposed to any kind of precipitation and/or wind speeds above 1.85 km/h.

Removal of SCP-4108 from their greenhouse requires permission from two (2) researchers with Clearance Level-3-4108. The extracted specimen will then be uprooted and replanted in one of the specialized transport carts with the assistance of the rail-mounted remote manipulators present within the containment cell.

The remains of SCP-4108-04, -07 and -08 are stored in a separate frozen storage unit. All documentation and archeological findings pertaining to SCP-4108 are held in the archeological records section of Research, Reliquary, and Containment Site-76, and may be accessed with permission from current research director, Dr. Isaksson. Pollination of SCP-4108 requires Clearance Level-4-4108 and above permission.

Description: SCP-4108 is a collection of bio-engineered specimens belonging to a subspecies of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris). The items display anomalous characteristics following any kind of force, even of minuscule strength, being applied onto the upper branches of a specimen. When triggered, SCP-4108 will bend themselves to near ground level, achieving this without any biological structures required for movement or elasticity. There is no visual indicator for the direction in which an SCP-4108 instance will bend, thus the decision to mark specimens in Foundation custody with paint.

When in this position, the upper branches will shift to create the shape of a roughly hemispherical receptacle. Upon a secondary force being applied to the receptacle, the specimen will violently straighten itself and return to its normal height. SCP-4108 is immune to any structural damage this action would cause, but can still be harmed through normal means.

SCP-4108 can be used to propel objects weighing up to a maximum of 60 kg at a distance between 300 and 500 m from the specimen in use. SCP-4108 ignore any damage that would be expected from such a task, excluding any attempts to throw an object heavier than 60 kg, in this case shattering its trunk while attempting to raise itself. It is unknown how this method of propelling can generate the force required. Upon death, specimens undergo fossilisation within three days.

When a solid surface is in contact with SCP-4108's lower end, the roots of the specimen will attempt to wrap around the perceived surface and stiffen. When planted, the roots ''grip'' to the ground with a strength of ████ N: this ensues that, without exceptional strength, SCP-4108 cannot be uprooted through normal means. However, SCP-4108 possess a ring of fine roots up to a maximum of 70 cm in length, held above the ground. When pulling the roots in any direction, SCP-4108's roots will release their tension, allowing for easy uprooting or rotation of the specimen.

While SCP-4108 is capable of reproduction, no male cones are present on its branches. Rather, they are produced within a cavity found on the bottom of the tree. It is improbable that SCP-4108 was to naturally fecundate itself or other specimens.

Addendum #4108-01: Discovery

SCP-4108 instances numbered -01 through -08 were recovered at a presentation regarding a private collection of Norse archeological artifacts belonging to Arvid Isaksson, Norwegian archeologist and historian specialized in Norse history. The event, hosted on the ██/██/20██ in █████, France, included a seminar of Norse populations' usage of siege engines.1 Field agents already present at the event requested action after a live test of SCP-4108-02. All visitors were administered Class-A amnestics and the organizers, along with Isaksson, were brought in for questioning.

Isaksson claims that he recovered SCP-4108-04 at a previously unknown archeological site near Larvik, Norway, in 197█. The specimen, despite fossilization, supposedly still produced fertile pine cones, from which Isaksson privately generated SCP-4108-01, -02, -03, -05, -06 and -07. Since containment, SCP-4108-04 never produced any pine cones. SCP-4108-08 was retrieved from a separate site near Paris, France, in 198█. Isaksson's collection was reviewed and objects related to and/or referencing SCP-4108 were confiscated and brought to Site-76. The presentation's organizers were administered Class-B amnestics and Isaksson was involved in the following investigations, at the conclusion of which he was officially employed by the Foundation and assigned to the project.

Addendum #4108-02: Locations of Interest

Upon request, Dr. Isaksson provided the locations of a total of 8 archeological sites related to SCP-4108 and its possible creators, designated Locations of Interest-A1 through -A8. Research teams were dispatched to all LoIs.

#LoI-A1: Original archeological site near Larvik, Norway, where SCP-4108-04 was initially retrieved by Isaksson. The site held an underground complex composed of a round hall 9 m in diameter with one entrance and 8 adjacent rooms 3 x 4 m wide. Dr. Isaksson claims that the site also held several artefacts and organic remains that were used in Norse sorcery known as seiðr, all of which were found in his collection. All LoI share this basic layout, excluding LoI-A2.

Unless specified otherwise, standard procedure after the investigations was to release non-anomalous artefacts and information, including the location itself, to public knowledge.


#LoI-A2: Original archeological site near Paris, France, where SCP-4108-08 was initially retrieved by Isaksson. The remains of a ship burial were discovered in the area. The contents of the burial mound, including 3 severely fragmented human remains, weaponry and jewellery dated to the 9th century, a runestone and SCP-4108-08, were all found in Dr. Isaksson's collection.
The runestone depicts a Viking raid against a walled town, possibly Paris. What is presumed to be an SCP-4108 instance is shown standing upright on a Viking ship, the roots seemingly wrapped around a horizontal axis.2 Three Vikings are shown in mid-air. The runes framing the scene read:

''In memory of brothers Tori, Ingmar and Vali stands this stone,
with the false giant they took flight,
over the town's walls and towards Odin's halls.''


#LoI-A3: Discovered near ██████, Norway, and previously visited by Isaksson. A stone ca. 29 m in diameter was found on site, with evidence of impact in the area. Both Dr. Isaksson's records and Foundation geologists confirm that the stone originated ███ km from the site.


#LoI-A4: Archeological site near Skara, Sweden, previously visited by Isaksson. Both Isaksson's expedition in 198█ and the current investigation recovered no objects, save for a number of parchments composed of birch bark, hidden inside a cubical altar at the center of the central hall. The mechanism within the altar was anomalous in nature and required an operative from the Department of [REDACTED] to open it, also explaining why Isaksson's group was oblivious to the altar's contents. Several remains of humans and cattle from the 9th century were also discovered in a 500 m radius around the site. Together, the parchments create the following text in Younger Futhark:

''We are sorry. We were too scared to explain ourselves, so we fled in these hills.''
''We know it is not for men to become völvur3, but our interest was too strong. We learnt so much, but we'll never teach it. That saddens me more than to think of all the ones we have slain to hide ourselves.''
''They think there are rock-throwing giants in these hills. Our Protectors are very helpful in the disguise. We have still stained our hands with blood, and for that we will be punished. I count on it.''
''I do not ask you to absolve us, we do not deserve it. Just know that I am glad that the art has spread in your time.''

The contents of the altar are now held in Site-76.


#LoI-A5: Archeological site near Roskilde, Denmark, previously visited by Isaksson. Isaksson's expedition in 198█ discovered several human remains in a 340 m radius around the site, all of which were found in his collection. An inscription in Younger Futhark was discovered on the inner walls of the 7th room of the structure, here transcribed:

''Jarl has learnt of our rouse. Wants Protectors. Berserker from Norway is leading raid south, Jarl wants to join.''
''Will cut down as all Protectors. If he wants catapultas4, take them from southerners. Protectors have claimed enough blood already.''

The inscription was recorded, a physical copy of which stored at Site-76, and the LOI was demolished.


#LoI-A6: Archeological site near █████████, ██████. No objects were retrieved within the site's premises; however, several remains of humans and cattle from the 9th century were discovered in a █.█ km radius around the site.

Eight SCP-4108 specimens, distinct from those in the Foundation's possession, were discovered in a circular pattern around the site. Permission was granted for a test on field, and a pine cone found on-site was employed as the trigger and projectile.
The specimens were visually identical to Norway spruces (Picea abies) and were triggered by pulling a branch, holding an item of small weight on said branch, then releasing both. During an authorised field test, the branches acted as a slingshot and hurled the pine cone at speeds exceeding ██ km/h, hitting Researcher ██████, who was stationed ███ m away, causing fatal head trauma. Investigation confirmed the researcher was not aiming towards ██████.

The alternate SCP-4108 specimens were retrieved and the LoI demolished. All SCP-4108 specimens underwent fossilisation within 20 minutes upon removal from the premises. Researcher ██████'s family was given compensation and personnel allowing the field test were reprimanded.


#LoI-A7: Discovered near ████, Sweden. A stone ca. 35 m in diameter was found on site, with evidence of impact in the area. Geological analysis confirmed that the stone originated ███ km from the site.


#LoI-A8: Archeological site near ███████, Norway. A human skeleton, belonging to a man between 30 and 40 years of age, presenting signs of fatal blunt trauma to the head, was recovered within the structure. Additionally, a wooden chest containing several parchments of birch bark was discovered, buried in the site's premises.
The following text, transcribed from the parchments, was written in Modern English:

''I cut down all the Protectors. Enough blood was on our hands. The others are spying the giants, but they will be back soon, and it will be the end of me.''
''The giants are here, yet we just keep killing our own people. Yes, other schools tried to slay them, and they were easily crushed, but it's better to fight and die than to hide in this cave like a coward!''
''People don't understand. Our fathers would see us dead, rather than welcome us and what we have learnt. But they will understand later, we have seen it! Why tarnish our reputation now, if we know that our art will be studied and accepted in the future? Why not help them now, against our enemy?''
''I don't know why I'm writing this down, and to you specifically. Maybe I just wanted to vent off. I am "effeminate", so? I won't let all the hate I received and the resentment I hold transform me into a monster.''
''There's a Protector and some of our things at an abandoned school near Larvik. It can still produce offspring, I made sure of it. For now, I'll just wait for them to arrive."
"Perhaps you'll come up with something better. I mean, Arvid, you already know what a Protector can do. It's not really a catapult, is it?''

The LoI was demolished and the chest, parchments and human remains moved to Site-76.


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License