SCP-3823
rating: +56+x

Item #: SCP-3823

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: The walking trail leading to SCP-3823's designated containment area is to be covertly closed off every Tuesday night, starting at 8 PM and ending once the SCP-3823 event has concluded. The cover for this closing must vary for each individual event and are not to be repeated for at least 3 months to ensure a lack of suspicion.

6 Foundation agents are to be posted in the area surrounding SCP-3823 at all times under the guise of local workers. Any attempts to remove SCP-3823 from its wire by non-authorized or civilian personnel are to be immediately stopped and the perpetrator(s) detained.

Every SCP-3823 event is to be overseen by the posted Foundation agents and should be kept as quiet as possible. The agents are encouraged to bring a varied selection of music to each event, however this is not necessary. A questionnaire session must be scheduled with SCP-3823 itself at least one week in advance and should not begin without warning during an otherwise normal SCP-3823 event.

Description: SCP-3823 are two pairs of shoes currently located in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada, tied by their laces to a power line running near a forest trail. In most circumstances, SCP-3823 is completely inert and are mundane. They can be removed from the wire and worn without any issue and bear no distinguishing marks. Standard brand logos are present on SCP-3823, one pair (SCP-3823-1) bearing the logo associated with "Nike" and the other (SCP-3823-2) bearing that of its subsidiary company "Converse". SCP-3823 cannot be removed from the area in order to stop SCP-3823 events, as new pairs of shoes bearing identical properties will emerge from within the nearby forest and initiate a SCP-3823 event instead.

The only time that SCP-3823 displays any anomalous property is at exactly 8:30 PM every Tuesday. Both pairs of SCP-3823 will spontaneously untie themselves from the cable and slowly descend to the ground, where they will then begin to shift and twist in place. After what is usually 10-15 seconds, both SCP-3823 instances will begin to move across the ground. The movements made by SCP-3823 have been noted to be similar to various styles of dance. This varies by each occurrence, but every event so far has primarily focused on dances that typically involve two participants. SCP-3823 will continue to "dance" for upwards of 4 hours, changing style periodically, before stopping in place. Both instances of SCP-3823 will then slowly rise back into the air, tie themselves around the wire again, and return to their inert state. This process in its entirety is considered the standard "SCP-3823 event". At this time, it is considered impossible to truly "halt" a SCP-3823 event, though it is possible to alter the course and prolong one (see addendum SCP-3823.1). Attempts to stop the motion of SCP-3823 have all been unsuccessful and should not be carried out as of 28/06/2017.

Addendum - SCP-3823.1: On 13/6/2017, a notable deviation in an otherwise standard SCP-3823 event occurred due to the accidental actions of one of the designated overseeing agents. The agent's cell phone had been called by one of their friends, causing their ringtone (an excerpt from the opening of Bound 2 by American hip-hop artist Kanye West) to play loudly. SCP-3823 immediately stopped mid-"dance" and turned to the agent, staying still for a minute before hesitantly returning to their regular function without further deviation. This was the first noted instance of any audio disturbances being noticed by SCP-3823, as agents in the area had previously spoken on several occasions without any such issue.

It was theorized, and subsequently confirmed, that SCP-3823 is only capable of hearing audio recordings. This was proven when, during the next SCP-3823 event, one of the posted agents played several songs over a small battery-powered Bluetooth speaker. After several minutes of inactivity, SCP-3823 returned to dancing, now aligned with the rhythm of the music playing.

From thereon, it was theorized that SCP-3823 is controlled by a, or several, entities that are currently imperceptible and intangible. This theory was also confirmed when, during the subsequent SCP-3823 event, several varied audio recordings of one of the agents were played in order to question SCP-3823, as described below.

SCP-3823.2, Interview.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License