SCP-3731
rating: +303+x
orangezonemap.png

Orange Zone as of 4/26/2020

Item #: SCP-3731

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Protocol ALABASTER has been declared active:

  • All Foundation military personnel have been reassigned to the expansion of the Orange Zone via the securing of SCP-3731 instances.
  • All research personnel have been reassigned to development of technological, paratechnological, and thaumic countermeasures to SCP-3731 activity in addition to more effective neutralization procedures.
  • Portable contained objects have been moved into the Orange Zone as resources have allowed.
  • Immovable objects have been decommissioned or rendered physically inaccessible in accordance with their respective emergency protocols.
  • Sites containing immovable K-class threats have been thaumically warded and locked down; Overt Automated Defense systems have been deployed to maintain the perimeters of these Sites.
  • All assets formerly restricted by the veil doctrine - including paratechnical weapons and vehicles, infantry augmentation equipment, and Overt Automated Defense systems such as Giant-class unpiloted combat drones - are approved for open use.
giantclass

Giant-class unpiloted combat drone

  • Ethics Committee rulings pertaining to SCP-3731 are considered irrelevant.

All Mobile Task Force units/Foundation military assets are reassigned to the securing of SCP-3731 by any means necessary. Instances of SCP-3731 are to be relocated to the Orange Zone for processing. Provisional containment areas have been constructed within the Orange Zone to house excess SCP-3731 instances. Trucking, rail, and other transport infrastructure is to be commandeered as necessary for the movement of contained instances.

tentcolony

Provisional Containment Area 2

As of O5 Council mandate 3731-Ov236, contained instances of SCP-3731 are to be restored to baseline normalcy via neutralization procedure 08-Lilac. Restored instances are to be employed as Class-E personnel within the Orange Zone until global normalcy can be reinstated.

Description: SCP-3731 is the sapient population of Earth, formerly known as "humanity." Following the total containment failure of thaumic symbiote SCP-3396, available data indicate that 100% of the civilian population outside the Orange Zone have been converted to SCP-3731. The conversion of human beings to SCP-3731 is caused by exposure to semi-tangible blue matter secreted by SCP-3396, which spreads contagiously between instances. The incubation period between exposure to blue matter and conversion to SCP-3731 ranges from seconds to months.

Organisms exposed to blue matter display extreme thaumic innervation1 and polymorphism2, resulting in an unpredictable variety of anomalous capabilities. The effect of blue matter symbiosis on the personality and intelligence of SCP-3731 instances is inconclusive; available data indicate that instances retain the knowledge and traits they possessed when they were human, and almost invariably continue responding to their human identity.

While blue matter exposure does not appear to cause psychological symptoms, SCP-3731 collectively display high rates of physical aggression, anti-establishmentarian tendencies, and other antisocial behavior compared to human beings. Non-anomalous symptoms of mutation (such as adjustment to new modes of sensory perception or telepathic input from other instances, trauma reactions to physical transformation, and situational stress related to the collapse of civilization) are hypothesized to contribute to this instability. Though communities of SCP-3731 have been observed to organize and self-govern with varying degrees of success, infighting and attacks by other SCP-3731 instances have consistently limited their growth.

Following the enactment of protocol ALABASTER and Foundation's withdrawal to the Orange Zone, SCP-3731 casualties to other breached/uncontained anomalies (some of which are themselves affected by thaumic mutation) have also risen to significant levels. Reconnaissance data suggest that the number of living SCP-3731 instances is no more than 5% of the baseline human population.

Field reports suggest that the thaumic innervation and polymorphic variance of individual SCP-3731 instances continuously increases over time, causing the instances to take on increasingly paranormal forms and capabilities. The resulting accumulation of anomalous activity has had catastrophic effects on global ecosystems and geology; earthquakes, firespouts, the appearance of mountains and sinkholes, "dead zones" incompatible with life for various reasons, and falls of animals from the sky have all been reported. SCP-3731 are projected to render the planet uninhabitable by 2024 if allowed to continue at the current rate.


At this time, breakthroughs in antithaumic technology enabled the Foundation to develop weapons and other countermeasures effective against SCP-3731.

Technology Description Recommended Use
Controlled Innervation Gauntlets Attachment for Infantry Combat Exoskeletons. Used in close quarters to deliver weaponized thaumic invocations to targets struck by the gauntlet. Default charge causes target's skeleton to combust; can be loaded with more specialized invocations as necessary.
Spectral Emulsion Ordinance Infantry equipment for ground engagements. Manifests spectral activity in a directed stream in a manner analogous to a flamethrower. May cause residual haunting.
Thaumic Resonance Oscillator Vehicle-mounted equipment for large scale engagements and crowd control. Incapacitates with lower fatality rate at low frequencies. Uses tuned aetheric waves to stimulate blue-matter growths inside instances, causing uncontrolled bursts of anomalous activity. Effects of aetheric stimulation on blue matter are unpredictable; use only from safe distance.
Thanopenetrating Aperture Mortar Long-range artillery for bombardment of fortified areas. Causes large holes to open on surfaces within the area of detonation; groups of elongated, multi-jointed human limbs emerge from holes to detect sapient organisms and pull them inside, after which the holes demanifest. Effective for depopulating SCP-3731 instances while minimizing damage to infrastructure.
Autonomous Neutralization Drones AI-equipped robotic aircraft dedicated to the tracking of uncontained SCP-3731 instances. Drones resemble wasps, and travel in swarms. Released around borders of Orange Zone to supplement perimeter forces. Drones are programmed to tunnel into the bodies of SCP-3731 instances and disrupt internal blue matter formations; approximately 2% of instances survive this procedure and can be recruited as E-Class personnel following recovery.
Geometric Destabilization Artillery Aircraft-mounted missile weaponry; causes spatial distortions incompatible with life (e.g. surfaces folding into themselves, objects occupying the same space at the same time) to become physical norms within the detonation radius. Recommended only for emergency use against SCP-3731 instances that have converted to large scale non-humanoid forms. Renders area of effect permanently uninhabitable, as organisms entering the radius experience redistribution of the circulatory system and compression injuries from folding of body surfaces.


Procedure 99-Lilac Overview:

Thaumobaric Stratosphere Clustercharge Munitions will be detonated over each of the planet's remaining landmasses. The T.S.C.M. use coordinated hypercompression of orgone energy to create a destructive endothaumic reaction on a planetary scale. This process will cause the violent rejection of all blue matter formations, and the attached physical tissues, from the bodies of all SCP-3731 instances outside the Orange Zone. The projected survival rate for mutated beings worldwide is zero.

This action will prevent the imminent destruction of Earth, though at the cost of creating an אK-Class "Foundation Apotheosis" scenario: a state of affairs in which all humanity that remains exists within Foundation containment.

Following the decommission of SCP-3731, military and research assets will be moved out of the Orange Zone to resume previous operations. The Orange Zone will be used for the establishment of a functioning baseline society and repopulated with E-Class survivors of previous Lilac procedures. As Foundation policy and human normality will be one and the same post-apotheosis, the parameters of baseline reality will be adjusted to reflect the boundaries of the zone and the needs of its management.

Causing an אK scenario is the ultimate failure of the Foundation's mission, but it provides an unprecedented opportunity - the chance to start clean, to make a better world, shaped and regulated by the guiding hands of the overseers. It will not be their ascension. It will be ours.

The Zone will be secured. Humanity will be contained. Normality will be protected.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License