SCP-3289
rating: +26+x
SCP_Smile

SCP-3289, photo taken by Researcher Darwin

Item #: SCP-3289

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-3289 is to be kept in a standard secure locker with constant monitoring to detect anomalies in behavior. Only Level 2 or higher personnel are authorized to remove it from its containment. Copies of SCP-3289 are to be stored away in a secure cabinet. Personnel should request permission before testing on SCP-3289.

Description: SCP-3289 is a standard 4A sheet of letter paper. The sheet of paper is unable to be altered until it replicates. Every 4-5 minutes, a hand drawn cartoon face will appear, with eyes, mouth and sometimes nose appearing. The appearance of the faces vary, with numerous different emotions being portrayed, the detail varying from simple to complex. Investigation has revealed that the faces are drawn with a thick graphite tool, though the tool has yet to be seen. SCP-3289 will continue to produce the faces until the page is full on both sides of the paper, upon which a separate piece of blank paper will appear underneath the current sheet1. The original sheet does not display any further anomalous properties and can be torn, erased, burned, etc.. The new sheet will continue to produce the faces until the process repeats. SCP-3289 has yet to stop replicating itself, with ███ copies in possession of the Foundation2.

SCP-3289 has some sense of its surrounding, as it has been able to react to nearby beings, creating different faces in response to the nearby creature. The emotions portrayed do not come from the creature, instead appearing as the emotion that SCP-3289 holds toward the creature.

Addendum 3289-A: Recovery of SCP-3289 (██/██/19██)

SCP-3289 was found in the ███████ Asylum, which treated numerous insane patients. Patient #████ was a 67 year old mute and deaf man being treated by Doctor ████ who, according to staff at the Asylum, portrayed his emotions through writing faces on pieces of paper. This was the main way Doctor ████ communicated with the patient, learning a new language that was made out of purely drawn cartoon faces. During an incident in which a violent patient broke out, Patient #████ was killed, as well as 4 others. Staff of the Asylum recovered Patient #████'s paper, which Doctor ████, the patient's personal doctor as well as close friend, hung up on his office wall. The doctor began to report faces appearing on the paper, which he recognized as the ones that Patient #████ used to draw. This incident was reported in the local newspaper as a "haunted paper," gaining the attention of Foundation personnel. Amnestics were administered throughout the Asylum and the paper, now designated as SCP-3289, was extracted.

Addendum 3289-B: Research Log

Addendum 3289-C: Asylum Logs

Patient Record:

Interview Log:

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License