SCP-3206
rating: +84+x

Item #: SCP-3206

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Turkana County, Kenya must be under phone surveillance. Individuals confirmed to be affected by SCP-3206 must undergo the necessary surgical procedures under the auspices of both a physician and veterinary doctor, followed by amnesticization and release. A maximum of 50 affected individuals may be allowed to persist under SCP-3206 for no more than three months at a time for the purpose of behavioural study.

All telephone calls involving the number +254 █████████ must be documented and individuals involved in these calls detained for a minimum of five hours. Should SCP-3206 manifest, said persons must be subject to the aforementioned containment procedures.

Persons of Interest-3206-1 through -8 must be under video and phone surveillance. Should anomalous activity be observed, PoIs are to be contained at Site-52.

UPDATE (12.04.2013): PoI-3206-3 is currently uncontained (see Call Transcript BN0358). All other PoIs must be held in standard humanoid containment at Site-52 until further notice. Direct interaction with SCP-3206-A is tentatively forbidden.

Description: SCP-3206 is a phenomenon whereby humans develop a fully functioning vomeronasal organ1 (VNO) anatomically and genetically identical to that of Equus ferus caballus (horse). This is accompanied by associated behaviour typical of ungulates and felids possessing a VNO, particularly the flehmen response2.

Approximately 76% of affected individuals seek medical attention or express concern regarding the effects of SCP-3206, reflecting a shrinking majority since the commencement of containment procedures. In a minority of cases, individuals compulsively or opportunistically utilise SCP-3206 in a variety of ways, commonly pursuing persons of interest and congregating in poorly sanitised public restrooms.

The vast majority of confirmed cases of SCP-3206 to date have occurred in rural areas in Turkana County, Kenya. SCP-3206 was first recorded in November 2005.

Addendum 3206-01: The manifestation of SCP-3206 is associated with calling or accepting a call from the telephone number +254 █████████. In all cases, one of several entities (collectively designated SCP-3206-A) can be heard, although comprehension is hampered by the occasional interruption of equine vocalisations of uncertain origin. SCP-3206-A attempts to sell VNOs to the other party, making poor use of tactics commonly associated with fraudulent telemarketing. If the other party declines the offer, the call terminates without further incident.

Should the offer be accepted, the entity ceases vocalisation and communication is no longer possible. Instead, a consistent rhythm of heavy thuds, accompanied irregularly by muffled groans, are heard. The frequency and intensity of these sounds increases gradually over time, terminating in a wet slapping noise and vocalisations described as reminiscent of a foal in distress. At this point, the call ends. SCP-3206 manifests in individuals exposed to the call between three and four hours after the connection is terminated.

Attempts to trace the call are consistently met with failure.

Addendum 3206-05: Through the use of voice recognition software, a significant match has been identified between SCP-3206-A and eight individuals (designated PoI-3206-1 through -8). All persons are currently alive and are pastoralists in the Turkana region, although no other relation between them has been identified. No evidence of involvement in SCP-3206 has been found.

Addendum 3206-11: Since the initial manifestation of SCP-3206-A1, its appearance has been recorded in a further 26 calls. A lack of consistency in the behaviour of SCP-3206-A1 in these cases casts some doubt on the authenticity of information garnered from the entity through Call BN0358.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License