SCP-2979
rating: +304+x

Item #: SCP-2979

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2979's only remaining vector (SCP-2979-1) is to be kept in a secured containment locker at Site-162, placed within an opaque sleeve. Personnel are to avoid eye contact with SCP-2979-1. No photography or video is to be taken of SCP-2979 at any time. Eastwood Secondary School in Danvers, MA is to be watched for further anomalous activity until 01/01/17.

Persons affected by SCP-2979 must be treated with Class-F amnestics within one month of exposure.

Description: SCP-2979 is an infohazardous memetic infection which occurs upon perceiving (directly or indirectly) the name "Mr. [REDACTED]1". Any individual who is made aware of said name will recognize it as the name of their secondary school physics teacher. Hosts will have nonsensical and often contradictory memories fabricated around this teacher to support their belief. Initially, this is the only noticeable effect of SCP-2979. However, the condition progressively worsens over time as the host's memories continue to be altered (or entirely replaced) to include Mr. [REDACTED].

Due to the relationship between memory and personality, this consequently leads to a personality change within the host. The way in which this happens is unpredictable, and varies from person to person, but most subjects exhibit difficulty focusing and will over time become delusional and noticeably detached from reality. If left untreated, this leads to the restructuring of the affected person's subjective reality. The entirety of the process happens over the course of one month, after which the effects of SCP-2979 are irreversible.

SCP-2979-1 is the only remaining vector for SCP-2979 infection, as all other instances of the name have been destroyed. SCP-2979-1 is a black room sign which was recovered from Eastwood Secondary School in Danvers, MA. The sign reads "303B, Mr. [REDACTED]" in white raised lettering. The sign itself has no inherent anomalous qualities other than those imposed on it by SCP-2979. It remains unclear if any individual of this name was ever employed at the high school, as records of his existence, while present, are unreliable due to its naturally infohazardous properties. The current working theory is that Eastwood Secondary School is the origin point of SCP-2979, as it is the only known location of an outbreak. Luckily, Foundation recovery teams were able to contain the threat before it spread beyond the school.

Of note is that Mr. [REDACTED] himself, when described by infected individuals, appears fully aware that his identity is an infohazard. Interviews with people infected with SCP-2979 show that this fact causes Mr. [REDACTED] a great deal of emotional trauma.

Addendum: Provided below is a series of interview excerpts between Dr. Holloway and D-10380. Please note that D-10380 dropped out of high school in 10th grade and has never attended a physics class. D-10380 was exposed to SCP-2979-1 2 weeks prior to the interview.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License