SCP-2903
rating: +28+x

Item #: SCP-2903

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Provisional Containment Site-131 is to be continuously occupied by Containment Team Nu-9 ("Iron Chefs"), recruited from Level 0 Support Personnel with horticultural and/or culinary training; and Containment Team Nu-10 ("Cucumber Munchers"), recruited from members of the Foundation front organization known as the Reformed and Universal Church of the Apostle of Light, who are to rigorously adhere to the lifestyle restrictions historically practiced by the Manichaean1 electae2.

Members of Containment Team Nu-9 are to harvest all instances of SCP-2903-2 at sunrise, then prepare and serve the harvested produce to members of Containment Team Nu-10 throughout the day, before uprooting all instances of SCP-2903-2. To ensure that members of Containment Team Nu-10 satisfy the religious conditions necessary for the safe consumption of SCP-2903-2 fruits, they are encouraged to regularly hold religious services and study Foundation-provided religious literature. Furthermore, the manifests of all supply convoys departing for Site-131 are to be examined for any contraband that would threaten the lifestyle restrictions of the members of Containment Team Nu-10.

Description: SCP-2903 is the designation given to certain related anomalous phenomena located at 24.████° N, 118.████° E, in Fujian Province, China. SCP-2903-1 designates a phenomenon that causes fruit-bearing vines, the varieties of which are henceforth designated SCP-2903-2a through SCP-2903-2e, to spontaneously grow during each sunrise. The primary productivity of SCP-2903-1 is estimated to be 7500 gC d-1 (grams of carbon per day). Instances of SCP-2903-2 physically resemble non-anomalous counterparts of the same species, but are thought to have indefinitely long lifespans. After an instance of SCP-2903-2 is uprooted or otherwise destroyed, another identical instance of SCP-2903-2 will spontaneously grow at the same location, unless the fruit of that instance was previous consumed by an individual who rigorously adheres to the lifestyle restrictions historically practiced by the Manichaean electae. These necessary lifestyle restrictions are listed as follows.

  1. Sincerely and continuously held belief in the Manichaean faith.
  2. Renunciation of one's former occupation and material lifestyle.
  3. Complete abstinence from meat and intoxicants since conversion to the Manichaean faith.
  4. Complete abstinence from sexual activity3 since conversion to the Manichaean faith.

Instances of SCP-2903-2 possess several other anomalous characteristics besides their biological immortality and automatic replacement. When an SCP-2903-2 fruit is consumed by an individual who does not rigorously adhere to the lifestyle restrictions listed above, that individual is subjected to an anomalous effect, the nature of which depends on the type of SCP-2903-2 fruit that was consumed. Furthermore, the presence of uneaten SCP-2903-2 fruits causes meteorological anomalies within a circular region centered around them, the nature of which also depends on the type of SCP-2903-2 fruit. The radius of this region grows quadratically relative to the number of uneaten SCP-2903-2 fruits in close proximity. The varieties of SCP-2903-2 and their associated anomalous effects are listed as follows.

Designation Species Effect upon Consumption Meteorological Effect
SCP-2903-2a Cucumis sativus (cucumber) The consumer emits light with a luminous flux measured at 1250 lumens for 10 seconds. Increased intensity and duration of sunlight.
SCP-2903-2b Citrullus lanatus (watermelon) The consumer sweats 1.5 L of distilled water over 30 seconds. Increased frequency and intensity of rainfall.
SCP-2903-2c Phaseolus vulgaris (common bean) The air surrounding the consumer moves outward from the consumer at a rate of 75 m/s for 5 seconds. Increased frequency and intensity of winds.
SCP-2903-2d Solanum lycopersicum (tomato plant) The consumer spontaneously combusts. Spontaneous combustion of flammable materials.
SCP-2903-2e Vitis vinifera (common grape vine) A vacuum temporarily forms around the consumer, resulting in near-immediate death. None observed.

When a sufficient number of uneaten SCP-2903-2 fruits are in close proximity, they collectively become part of a sapient entity or group of sapient entities, henceforth designated SCP-2903-3. SCP-2903-3, which is aware of the area immediately surrounding those uneaten SCP-2903-2 fruits, is capable of communicating by producing vocalizations in Middle Persian through an unknown means. SCP-2903-3 was first encountered in 1978, during the initial containment of SCP-2903, which took place after the government of the People's Republic of China requested the Foundation's assistance with investigating reports of spontaneous combustion in Fujian Province, many of which were attributed to the consumption of "cursed fruit" during the famine caused by the Great Leap Forward. The reports were found to be clustered around 24.████° N, 118.████° E, the site of an abandoned temple described by local eyewitnesses as a "temple of the elements." Agents exploring the temple reported the presence of SCP-2903-3, but were unable to communicate with it due to language barriers. Dr. Mirza Rostami, a scholar of Middle Persian, was dispatched to interview the entity.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License