Item #: SCP-2578
Object Class: Keter
Special Containment Procedures: Global email networks are to be monitored by the Foundation for indicators of SCP-2578-A. If the counter on a confirmed instance of SCP-2578-A reaches 24, a response team from MTF Iota-10 ("Damn Feds") is to be dispatched to the location of the corresponding instance of SCP-2578-B in no more than 10 hours. Over the last two hours, the team will monitor the situation and await further instructions.
In addition, the response team will escort one D-class Foundation employee scheduled for termination ("The Scapegoat" for the purposes of Contingency 12-Azazel), along with ampules of low-grade hypnestics.
In the case of an in-progress Impaler Event, the response team is to carry out Contingency 12-Azazel as soon as possible.
- Through the use of hypnestics, the response team will implant the scapegoat with artificial memories of assassinating SCP-2578-B.
- The scapegoat will be handed over to the law enforcement authorities of SCP-2578-B's government.
In the case of an aborted Impaler Event, the instance of SCP-2578-B is to be detained and released after amnestic therapy.
Due to the potential for civilians to communicate with SCP-2578-D, instances of SCP-2578-C are to be excised from global email servers upon detection.
Description: SCP-2578 is the collective designation for a series of phenomena related to the deaths of at least 1██ human subjects since 1995. Prior to death, all victims (referred to as individual instances of SCP-2578-B) shared the following characteristics:
- SCP-2578-B was a political figure, or was due to hold office at a future date.
- SCP-2578-B intended to engage in all of the following political activities at a future date, and had the adequate military, financial, and political resources to do so:
- Ethnic cleansing
- The establishment, continuation, or reinstatement of government-sponsored slavery and/or child labor
- The violent suppression of peaceful protest and/or dissent
- War crimes against foreign powers
- The establishment of absolute control of the national press, media, and religion
- SCP-2578-B was relatively unopposed in these views by its constituents, and dissent or rebellion was curbed in such a way that, had the subject not died, all of its plans could have been successfully implemented.
72 hours prior to its death, the instance SCP-2578-B will receive a message, SCP-2578-A, on its primary personal e-mail client. The sender will only be identified by a set symbol1, shared with all instances of SCP-2578-A.
The content of SCP-2578-A is consistent throughout all instances:
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS2
[subject's latitude and longitude]
[a number, which is 144 in the first message]
I never miss my mark. Abdicate and you will live. [This part of the message is then repeated in Spanish, French, German, Russian, Ukranian, Arabic, Farsi, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and Tagalog.]
After 30 minutes, the message will be resent to SCP-2578-B, but the value of the second number will decrease by one. Once the number reaches zero, an Impaler Event will occur 72 hours after the initial SCP-2578-A. The corresponding SCP-2578-B can stop the countdown in a variety of ways, including:
- Resignation of their post,
- Rescinding any pending orders that correspond with the aforementioned political activities,
- Surrender to a war crimes tribunal or a resistance movement, and/or
Impaler events are characterized by the sudden appearance of a borehole in the targeted instance of SCP-2578-B, which usually begins at the top of the head and ends at the groin, though alternative locations, such as with SCP-2578-B-429, have been noted. Though these incidents bear evidence of a high-powered gunshot, no bullets have been recovered from these events, and the holes will appear even when the instance is on an airplane, underground, or in a building, with no damage to the surrounding area.
SCP-2578-C refers to a set of emails sent to various politicians, civilians, and other human subjects after a successful or aborted Impaler Event. The content varies and can be personalized, but will usually include a declaration of victory and/or words encouragement, such as this message sent to a synagogue scheduled to be bombed after the election of SCP-2578-B-429:
[three-crescent symbol] is victorious. Ioan Lupescu successfully terminated 5/12/2009.
Payment Due for Services Rendered:
- Abandon your fears of tyranny.
- Know that [three-crescent symbol] will always watch over you, [three-crescent symbol] will always protect you, and [three-crescent symbol] will always love you.3
[The entire content of this message is then repeated in Spanish, French, German, Russian, Ukranian, Arabic, Farsi, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and Tagalog.]
Addendum - Excerpts from the log of recorded SCP-2578-B instances:
|Designation||Name, Title||Impaler Event||Notes|
|SCP-2578-B-013||Radovan Karadžić, President of the Republika Srpska||Occurred 4/19/1996||Note from Dr. Naismith: As of 7/21/2008, the current procedures are to take precedent over all former containment procedures. I'm sorry, framing D-class for killing politicians isn't pretty, but our "alternative medicine guru" cover-up after SCP-2578 caused the "disappearance" of Karadžić wasn't just unethical - it was silly.|
|SCP-2578-B-326||Mohammad bin Salman, Deputy Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia||Aborted||For a detailed list of the 230 aborted Impaler Events so far in Saudi Arabia, please refer to Document-2578-K.|
|SCP-2578-B-429||Ioan Lupescu, President-Elect of Romania||Occurred 5/12/2009||The borehole was discovered through Mr. Lupescu's chest. Eyewitness accounts claimed that approximately five minutes before the Impaler event, Mr. Lupescu grew increasingly agitated for unknown reasons and insisted on letting his 4-year-old daughter ride on his shoulders.|