SCP-2561
rating: +53+x

Item #: SCP-2561

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2561 is to be contained within a 2.5m x 1.5m x 2m enclosure constructed from FM radio frequency (VHF) deflecting material within Site-15. Unauthorized electrical conductive material, electrical instruments, and any type of audio transmitters must be kept outside the enclosure to avoid outside VHF interception from the specimen. While inside SCP-2561's enclosure, all personnel are required to wear high-frequency noise-canceling earmuffs. One portable FM radio is to be placed inside the enclosure next to an audio-recording device. The device must be recording at all times, and the radio must be tuned to a frequency of 169.695 MHz. Researchers are to playback audio recordings bi-weekly to listen for any unusual broadcasts or requests from the specimen to communicate with personnel.

Description: Physically, SCP-2561 has the body and limb structure of a severely malnourished Domestic Shorthair cat (Felis Catus). Its furred torso is white while its front and hind legs are dark gray in coloration. Its entire head and face are in the form of a vintage television set complete with "rabbit ear" antennae. A large, single white eye with a black pupil is displayed on the television screen which overlaps colored SMPTE bars. The specimen has no visible mouth, nose, or ears. However, it does respond to auditory and visual stimuli, indicating some sort of vision and hearing capabilities. SCP-2561 possesses a tail superficially resembling a standard two-prong power cord measuring approximately 80cm. The specimen does not need sleep or sustenance to function normally. SCP-2561's behavior shares a likeness to the typical behavior of the average house cat; displaying traits of curiosity, skittishness, and spontaneity.

SCP-2561 has the anomalous ability to receive, store, and emit radio broadcasts within a radius of 20km through its antennae. Broadcasts emitted from the subject reach all functional FM radios within a 20km radius of the specimen. All observed broadcasts emitted from the subject are in the form of static, slightly distorted voices and music. SCP-2561 has proven to be sapient and is capable of limited speech via broadcasting clips of speech and music from various radio show broadcasts. Using these speech excerpts, the specimen forms sentences to communicate. When it is not attempting to communicate, it broadcasts songs, radio shows, or low white noise.

Addendum 2561-01: SCP-2561 was captured and retrieved by MTF-Epsilon-6 ("Village Idiots") on █/█/20██ in rural ████████, OR. Prior to SCP-2561's containment, FM radio interferences were commonplace among residents who lived anywhere between 0km-20km from the town's local forest reserve. The interferences, as witnesses described, sounded like "jumbled voices, choppy music and static". The sounds would slowly fade over scheduled broadcasts, remain at a level volume for 1-5 minutes, then slowly fade back to normal broadcasting. On rare occasions, these radio interruptions consisted only of extremely loud high-pitched frequencies. The noise was observed to reach an inexplicable decibel level of 90 dB, regardless of the radio's maximum volume limit. These interruptions lasted until the affected radio was either manually disabled or until the harsh noise forced the speakers to overheat and blow out. These high frequencies were described to have inflicted painful cases of tinnitus on those listening.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License