SCP-2518
rating: +106+x

Item #: SCP-2518

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: A 457-meter perimeter fence patrolled by a squad of Foundation security officers is to surround the entrance of SCP-2518-A under the pretense of being a protected nature reserve. Diplomatic relations with SCP-2518-C are to be handled by the Paropamisus Research Team, who are stationed at a compound near SCP-2518-A’s entrance. In the event of an invasion by SCP-2518-C, a division of MTF-Zeta-9 ("Mole Rats") has been charged with securing and defending SCP-2518-A.

Description: SCP-2518-A is a gorge located in the Hindu Kush of northern Pakistan. It is only visible at ground level, as aerial imaging from heights greater than 610 meters shows foothills where SCP-2518-A should be. SCP-2518-A is only accessible from its western end; approaching SCP-2518-A from any non-westerly direction reveals only the foothills that aerial photos depict. Despite the height of the surrounding mountains, the bottom of SCP-2518-A is very low and at constantly warmer temperatures than the environment, even in winter.

When traveled, SCP-2518-A serves as passage to a pocket universe, designated SCP-2518-B. SCP-2518-B consists of a single continent and several archipelagoes. No lands beyond this continent and its general area are known to exist with any certainty; such travel has been discouraged by SCP-2518-C. The biota of SCP-2518-B is largely the same as that of Holocene Eurasia.

SCP-2518-C are the sapient inhabitants of SCP-2518-B. They are physiologically identical to humans in all regards except size, 8.6 meters being the average height. Autopsies conducted on SCP-2518-C specimens have revealed the skeletons to be much more calcified than those of humans, but there are no other detectable internal differences. SCP-2518-C claim lifespans of up to nine centuries, which has been confirmed via forensic pathologies of the recently deceased. However, due to the slow reproduction rate of SCP-2518-C, only an estimated 850,000 individuals are believed to currently exist.

The technology of SCP-2518-C is similar to that of human civilizations in the Iron Age, though later inventions such as the compass, astrolabe, and telescope are also present. Most SCP-2518-C live agrarian lifestyles, with some exceptions, such as those who engage in the small-scale manufacture and/or bartering of metal and glass goods. SCP-2518-C buildings are created by the excavation of mountains to form interiors, with underground chambers in areas where mountains are smaller or more scarce.

Fifteen nation-states politically constitute SCP-2518-B. Due to the nature of SCP-2518-C’s architecture, national borders and capitals tend to be centered around mountain ranges. Most societies of SCP-2518-C are socially egalitarian amongst themselves and outsiders, though warfare between nations sometimes erupts, mostly over resources and border disputes. Visiting Foundation researchers have for the most part been received warmly, though the greater size of SCP-2518-C has occasionally resulted in accidental injuries to some researchers. When asked, SCP-2518-C steadfastly deny any claim of intending to traverse SCP-2518-A themselves. However, archaeological investigation has revealed several SCP-2518-C skeletal remains near the entrance to SCP-2518-A, some carbon-dated to as recently as 1250, indicating that this taboo was not always the case.

Languages spoken by SCP-2518-C are universally agglutinative and consonant-heavy. Foundation linguists have determined all of them to be related, though none are mutually intelligible.1 Attempted reconstructions of the proto-language have indicated a number of similarities to Sumerian, Burushaski, and the language of SCP-1390, though it does not appear to be related to any of them.

Though the various states of SCP-2518-C possess numerous cultural differences, all follow various forms of the same religion, which is strongly monotheistic and similar in ritual to Kabbalistic Judaism. The clergy of SCP-2518-C often demonstrate thaumaturgic abilities, including item multiplication, bilocation, and in some cases the ability to invoke the presence of SCP-2518-D.

SCP-2518-D are male humanoid entities, invariably dressed in white robes, and outwardly identical to humans in all respects, including size. However, they exhibit several anomalous abilities, such as the healing of others' injuries, telekinesis, and [REDACTED].2 SCP-2518-D are highly protective of SCP-2518-C, and will sometimes appear without clerical invocation to defend or help them, such as during natural disasters or in warfare (the latter sometimes in the establishment of peace treaties). Occasionally, they are accompanied by SCP-2518-E, human women dressed identically to their male counterparts, though SCP-2518-E do not possess the abilities of SCP-2518-D. SCP-2518-C treat the visitations of -D and -E with great enthusiasm and reverence, and usually express great sadness to see them leave.

Indigenous and nomadic humans in the immediate area of SCP-2518-A have known of its anomalous nature for much of known history, with mentions and artistic depictions included in the writings, art, and oral traditions of the Harappan, Bactrian, Persian, Hindi, and Pashtun cultures, among many others. SCP-2518’s existence became known to the Foundation in 19██ when a division of the British Indian Army discovered a small Pashtun village situated near the entrance to SCP-2518-A. Said village was decorated with a number of large stone carvings unlike any known to exist in the area. When pressed for information, the villagers claimed to have traded the excess of a recent crop surplus in exchange for artwork created by SCP-2518-C, which was believed to bring good luck to its owners. After initial exploration confirmed the anomalous nature of SCP-2518-A, word was discreetly sent to the highest tiers of the British government, whereupon the Foundation took over and established diplomatic relations with the nearest ruling body within SCP-2518-B.

Addendum-2518a: On 23/04/1975, Researcher Anna Sutton was seduced by an instance of SCP-2518-D, resulting in her dismissal from Foundation employment. Attempts at retrieving Sutton were made impossible by the actions of her seducer, who threatened violence towards Foundation staff. Whether this relationship was a compulsive effect exerted by the instance or a decision independently made by Sutton in defiance of regulations cannot be ascertained. Sutton was integrated into the population of SCP-2518-E soon afterward and tested positive for pregnancy a week after her dismissal, giving birth to a 6-kilogram son five months later. Several instances of SCP-2518-E assisted in the birth of Sutton’s child, who was born via Cesarean section made painless by a naturally-harvested anesthetic. The SCP-2518-D who impregnated Sutton was also present to heal her incisions. A female SCP-2518-C served as the offspring’s wet nurse for the duration of the child’s infancy. Said child is currently in adulthood and a functioning member of SCP-2518-C society. Sutton and her lover have thus far turned down requests for interviews.

Addendum-2518b: The Paropamisus Research Station suffered significant damage during the October 2015 Hindu Kush earthquake, with seven guards and four researchers among the casualties. Straggling Pashtun individuals intruded on the area, but were forcibly subdued and issued amnestics by available personnel long enough for backup and maintenance crews to arrive. SCP-2518-A itself was relatively undamaged, remaining traversable.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License