SCP-2478
rating: +214+x

Item #: SCP-2478

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: All live instances of SCP-2478 are held in individual Type L humanoid containment cells at Biological Containment Area-519. Three deceased instances of SCP-2478 are to be held in Area-519 morgue. No personnel of self-acknowledged Japanese descent are to be in visible proximity with SCP-2478 instances, unless for approved testing. Approval may be sought from Project Head/2478.

SCP-2478's freedom of religious practice is acknowledged under the Eugenio II Protocol. See Document 2478-Bu for necessary provisions w.r.t. SCP-2478's religious ceremonies. Personnel are to monitor religious ceremonies conducted by SCP-2478 instances.

Description: SCP-2478 refers to an alternative phenotype of Homo sapiens sapiens (human). Distinctive physiological features include 14 legs arranged around the lower torso, and 14 arms and seven heads scattered around the torso arbitrarily. Locomotion is possible through a combination of multi-legged movement in metachronal rhythm, muscular contraction of its lower torso and mucus secreted from underneath its body. Average height and mass are 2.8 m and 400 kg respectively, while torso circumference is 1.5 m. SCP-2478 instances uniformly demonstrate fluency in the Hida dialect of Japanese, and can comprehend Standard Japanese.

A single SCP-2478 instance possesses seven sets of most internal organs (e.g. heart, lungs, stomach). However, only one brain exists for a given SCP-2478 instance. It is located along its torso and has an average mass of 10.5 kg. As such, a given SCP-2478 instance possesses a single consciousness and all seven mouths will speak in unison. Although male or female reproductive organs or a combination of both have been found in SCP-2478, they are non-functional. The number of reproductive organs in a given SCP-2478 instance is consistently seven.

SCP-2478 and images depicting it impose an anti-memetic effect on humans of Japanese descent (hereon referred to as 'subjects'). Subjects will ignore any sign of SCP-2478's anomalous physiology and perceive them as non-anomalous humans identified with gigantism. Subjects will consistently dismiss any evidence suggesting SCP-2478's anomalous nature. Non-Japanese individuals who have been made to believe they are of Japanese descent (e.g. falsified memories) are susceptible to this effect. Below is a translated excerpt by the Imperial Japanese Abnormal Matters Examination Agency (IJAMEA):

For some platoons fighting in China, bayonets and katanas levitated on their will and surrounded the soldiers from ████ in the Hida Mountains.1 They fought on our side and killed many Chinese. The ancestors of these men, we speculate, must be on our side. After all, the folk of ████ claimed lineage from the chaos of the Warring States.

Subjects of partial Japanese descent (e.g. half-Japanese) experience this partial anti-memetic effect to a lesser degree. Subjects unaware of their Japanese descent (e.g. ignorance on the subject's part, amnesia, dementia) are unaffected by this anomalous effect, and fully recognise SCP-2478's physical appearance as non-human.

The earliest known sightings of SCP-2478 were from eyewitness accounts in Dairen2 since 1926, where they were deployed by the Kwantung Army. Documents from the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) described SCP-2478 instances as soldiers conscripted from ████, Gifu Prefecture under Japan's Conscription Law and denied any anomalous traits attributed to SCP-2478. Instead, IJA officials claimed they were non-anomalous humans with gigantism.

Supplementary documents and personnel from Japan-based organisations such as the Bureau of Onmyō3 and IJAMEA did not regard SCP-2478 to be anomalous. That being said, the Bureau of Onmyō did record an extra-normal event related to ████ Village. A translated excerpt of said event is as follows:

On ██ August Meiji 12,4 the eta5 of ████ in the Hida Mountains mysteriously vanished. Cause unknown, but there was little need to be concerned over the loss of gravediggers and butchers. Some days before, a foreign preacher was said to have entered ████. Whereabouts also unknown. Without the eta, ████ is no longer an etamura.6

That day onwards, ████ was inhabited by another group of countrymen. They were unlike the eta, who previously dwelled in those lands. They were giants, standing taller than the men of America. But appearances are deceiving. These new residents embody the Yamato spirit as any fellow countryman would and are clearly worthy of being fellow subjects to His Imperial Majesty. They demonstrate great efficiency in the production of rice and rearing of livestock, truly exemplary of the nation.

Initial attempts to acquire SCP-2478 instances were met with resistance from the Japanese government, condemning the Foundation's violation of the rights of the Empire's subjects. This was believed to be one of the contributing factors leading to the expulsion of all Foundation assets in the Japanese Empire on ██/██/1932.

During the Second Sino-Japanese War, the Chinese military and Foundation intelligence had reported SCP-2478 instances among IJA forces. IJA sources indicated that the entire SCP-2478 population in Japan have volunteered for conscription, operating in the China-Burma-India theatre. Notably, SCP-2478 instances were not conscripted under the Youkai Battalion7 in IJAMEA sources.

After Japan's surrender in 1945, the Japanese government permitted the relocation of the surviving SCP-2478 population in Japan to Area-519. A majority of text regarding the history of SCP-2478 was confiscated, although some remained unaccounted for. Since containment, seven live specimens of SCP-2478 have been held by the Foundation, all of which have served in the IJAMEA as enlistees. The remaining specimens (≈50) were executed under charges of war crimes and autopsied, after which they have been cremated following one year of postmortem study.

Addendum 2478-1: Interview Log 2478-01-1

Addendum 2478-2: The Wion Matsuri is a traditional festival celebrated by SCP-2478 instances during late August, observed solely by them. A distinctive ritual of Wion Matsuri is the skinning of animal carcasses. The skin would be made into leather and placed as decorations before a statue representing Wion. At the conclusion of Wion Matsuri, the skin, flesh and bones used would be buried into a single grave.

Due to the non-anomalous nature of Wion Matsuri, the O5 Council has approved for the facilitation of SCP-2478 instances' practice of the festival to maintain long-term compliance of their containment.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License