SCP-2361
rating: +216+x
go_image.jpg

Position four moves prior to SCP-2361. Actual position not shown to avoid activating anomalous effects.

Item #: SCP-2361

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Due to its nature, it is currently infeasible to detect all manifestations of SCP-2361. Worldwide medical records shall be monitored for fatalities consistent with SCP-2361's effects. Medical personnel directly witnessing the effects must be administered Class-C amnestics; the victim's death should be explained as the result of a stroke. When necessary, X-rays and other documentation are to be explained as hoaxes.

Any known civilian contact with SCP-2361-1 must be recorded and archived. Foundation contact with SCP-2361-1 must be supervised by at least two level 4 personnel.

Description: SCP-2361 is a recurring position in the game of Go1. Instances have been observed to manifest in multiple ways:

  • Arising naturally during a game. When questioned, players believe they are choosing moves of their own free will.
  • Spontaneous manifestation on unattended Go boards.
  • Appearance on normally-blank pages of Go-related books, with the caption "White to play" in the language of the book.

SCP-2361 instances created by mundane means will still display anomalous effects, and are only to be created during approved experimentation.

In the event that a player places a white stone at position ██, ██ (or circles it, in the case of printed instances), the subject's brain will begin to display unusual electrical activity, usually focused in the parietal lobe. This activity does not interfere with normal brain functions, and typically passes unnoticed within 24 hours. However, four recorded cases have resulted in fatalities from symptoms superficially resembling a stroke. Autopsies revealed that several irregularly-shaped sections of the brain had been removed by unknown means.

The Foundation has contacted several professional Go players to analyze SCP-2361. These players typically indicate several possibilities for a next move, but invariably note ██, ██ as being one of the strongest candidates.

Addendum 2361-A-1:

go_message.JPG

Encoded message from SCP-2361-1.

On 11/23/20██, researcher Alice R██████ conducted an experiment to determine how SCP-2361 identifies the player. A remotely-operated mechanism was constructed to place a stone at ██, ██, and was activated simultaneously by two D-Class personnel.

Three seconds after activation, a new board position materialized. Foundation cryptographers determined the new position to be a simple trinary encoding of English letters, representing the message "Please do not interfere with our research". Researcher R██████ proceeded to conduct an interview by rearranging stones using the same encoding. The responding entity has been designated SCP-2361-1.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License