SCP-2286
rating: +78+x

Item #: SCP-2286

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: The components of SCP-2286 can be stored in standard Safe-class item storage lockers when not being tested. Due to the range of their anomalous effects, active testing must be conducted off-site; consult Document 2286-9 for a list of approved testing locations.

Description: SCP-2286 consists of a collection of anomalous electrical equipment found in and around the home of Mark P█████ on 05/17/2001. Objects of note are detailed below.

SCP-2286-1: A hand-made electrical device measuring 1.4m long, and superficially resembling a bipolar Tesla coil. The device has wiring consistent with operation at 120V AC, but conforms to no known electrical theory. On the base of the device is a toggle switch labeled "ON/OFF" and a pair of dials of unknown construction labeled "RANGE" and "SPEED". Material analysis of select components reveals the presence of unusual quantities of organic compounds consisting of uniform fragments of DNA. These fragments have been matched to genetic markers unique to mammals of the superfamily Muroidea.

SCP-2286-1 can be activated by providing it with a standard North American 120V AC power supply and flipping the toggle switch to “ON”. When active, anomalous effects can be observed in any viable genetic material belonging to mammals of the superfamily Muroidea that are within range of the object. At close range, this effect consists of a force of indeterminate origin similar to magnetic attraction that will pull the material towards the object until it comes to rest against the surface or other attracted material. At longer range, affected subjects exhibit an attraction to the location of the device similar to homing behavior but with aggressive tendencies that increase with proximity; see Test Log 2286-1-B for details. The “RANGE” dial can adjust the effective range of homing behavior from between 10 to 40 kilometers, while the “SPEED” dial can manipulate the force density of the attraction within the proximate area of effect to between 2,500Gs and 17,000Gs. Note that for nearly all affected subjects, the strength of this force has demonstrated to be lethal. At low force density, severe trauma such as fractures are common, but death can occur from asphyxiation, embolisms, or circulatory collapse. At high force density, dismemberment and pulverization of the skeleton has been observed.

SCP-2286-2: A variety of objects displaying similar anomalous properties to SCP-2286-1. Analysis is ongoing. Examples include a smaller version of SCP-2286-1 containing complete DNA from a single Rattus norvegicus and a variety of loose components containing embedded DNA fragments from multiple species.

SCP-2286-3: A smaller version of SCP-2286-1 designed to run on a single AAA battery. The toggle switch is replaced by a wired remote with a 20 meter long cord. Analysis of embedded organic material shows complete strands of DNA from a single human donor, designated as SCP-2286-3-prime. The donor has been identified as homeowner Mark P█████. Hair samples were used to verify the device is functional, although notably weaker.

SCP-2286-4 and -5: The remains of two devices of similar design to SCP-2286-1. Both were non-functional at the time of recovery, and displayed evidence of assaults from numerous tools and implements as well as having been partially incinerated using gasoline as an accelerant. Embedded organic material shows complete DNA from two different human donors, designated SCP-2286-4-prime and SCP-2286-5-prime. See Addenda 1 and 2 below for more information.

Recovery: SCP-2286 was recovered in and around the home of Mark P█████ of H█████, Indiana on 05/17/2001. A postal delivery worker reported to local authorities that portions of the exterior of the home had collapsed and noted a strong odor of decay, prompting an investigation. The cause of the collapse was determined to be damage due to a severe rodent infestation. Local authorities discovered SCP-2286-1 in the basement of the structure in an active state, and alerted Foundation operatives. SCP-2286-1 was covered in a mass of dead organic material measuring five meters in diameter as well as an estimated 400 affected subjects, mostly Rattus norvegicus, Mus musculus, and Microtus ochrogaster. SCP-2286-2 components and SCP-2286-3 were found scattered around the surrounding basement workshop. SCP-2286-4 and 5 were discovered in the ashes of a fire pit behind the home. The remains of SCP-2286-3-prime were found in the master bedroom. Although most of the body had been consumed by local wildlife, cause of death was identified as a gunshot wound to the cranium, apparently self-inflicted.

Addendum 1: Following genetic testing of SCP-2286-4 and -5, Foundation operatives began obtaining DNA samples from local residents in an effort to identify SCP-2286-4-prime and -5-prime. SCP-2286-4-prime was identified as Gloria R████, a local librarian and member of the town council. The subject was interviewed in an attempt to determine what effects, if any, SCP-2286-4 may have produced.

Addendum 2: During experiments involving SCP-2286-4, researchers noted that applying a weak electric current to small samples taken from the device would produce a torque effect that would cause the samples to align in a common direction, similar to the behavior of a compass needle in a magnetic field. Testing demonstrated that the fragments aligned to indicate the direction of nearby genetic samples taken from SCP-2286-4-prime and functioned out to a distance of 3 km. An instrument using this principle was constructed using fragments of SCP-2286-5 for the purpose of locating SCP-2286-5-prime. Field agents used the instrument to conduct a grid search of the county and located the subject's remains in an unmarked grave on the edge of town. Dental records were used to identify her as Trudy D██████, a local real estate agent who had been reported missing on 07/22/2000. An autopsy determined that she had been dead for a period of ██ months, consistent with the time of her reported disappearance. Numerous fractures were identified throughout the skeletal structure which appear to have occurred simultaneously and immediately prior to death. Although many of these fractures were similar to those that might occur during a serious fall, several were inconsistent with that diagnosis and cannot be explained. Cause of death remains unknown.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License