SCP-2197
rating: +288+x

Item #: SCP-2197

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Because neither SCP-2197 nor the lot on which it is built are recorded on any official documents, the Foundation has been able to effectively assume legal ownership of SCP-2197 by purchasing the buildings on either side of it, the lots of which legally encompass SCP-2197’s location. A small contingent of Foundation personnel have been permanently assigned to manage these properties (a small filling station with automotive repair shop, and a five-unit motor lodge).

Civilian motorists lured into the proximity of SCP-2197 are to be intercepted by these personnel and given whatever assistance they require in order to leave the area. Once a week, a D-class personnel wearing a remote surveillance kit is to enter SCP-2197, engage in conversation with SCP-2197-1, and make a purchase.

Due to local residents’ length of exposure to SCP-2197, and their habitual reticence regarding it, mass administration of amnestics has been ruled out (see Ethics Committee Report 2197-901). As residents have observed Foundation personnel steering visitors away from SCP-2197, they have become increasingly accepting and even friendly toward the members of the permanent contingent. These social relationships are to be used in conjunction with monitoring of mail and electronic communications, in order to identify and isolate individuals who pose an unacceptable risk to containment.

Description: SCP-2197 is a one-story structure located in █████, Maine, an unincorporated township between U.S. Route 1 and the Atlantic coast. The words “Anziano’s Curio Shoppe” are etched in stylized lettering on a large storefront window displaying what appear to be various second-hand goods.

Individuals traveling by motor vehicle in or near █████ experience a greater than expected rate of mechanical difficulties, GPS malfunctions, flat tires, unexpectedly low fuel, and loss of cellular reception. Affected motorists frequently seek assistance in █████, and while delayed they often enter SCP-2197, due to its location between the township’s only mechanic and its only lodgings. Residents of █████ and the surrounding area do not appear to experience these travel-related difficulties, and will sometimes obliquely warn those affected away from SCP-2197.1

Those entering SCP-2197 are greeted by a humanoid entity resembling a stooped, elderly man in a leather apron, designated SCP-2197-1. The entity will introduce itself as “Mr. Anziano,” engage in small talk, and encourage the visitor to browse. If an individual expresses interest in an item, SCP-2197-1 will speak highly of the effort involved in its manufacture and the good character of its maker, often remarking that “he tried his best.”

Most items purchased from the shop display anomalous properties.2 Somewhere on each item (typically the back, underside, or interior) is a single small glyph, written in a hemoglobin-like substance, the design of which differs from item to item. Foundation linguists have concluded that the glyphs are backward renderings of the first, second, third, fourth, and sixth letters of the Aramaic alphabet. Some glyphs are appended with a plus or minus sign.

The permanent contingent in █████ has compiled a representative sample of items purchased by D-class personnel from SCP-2197 (see Document 2197-101).

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License