SCP-2171
rating: +97+x
SCP-2171_LOI-2171-03.png

SCP-2171 windrow during initial wrap-up operations within LOI 2171-03.

Item #: SCP-2171

Object Class: Euclid Safe

Special Containment Procedures: All areas affected by SCP-2171 are to be placed under permanent video surveillance and / or botanical field supervision, on a case-by-case basis.

New instances of SCP-2171 should be subject to a thorough botanical analysis and, when necessary, restored through environmental engineering operations conducted by Containment Task Force ϱ-6 ("Green Gale") personnel.

During seasonal autumn and until the demanifestation of all SCP-2171-1 entities, areas affected by SCP-2171 are to remain closed to all civilian transit.

Description: SCP-2171 is a seasonal phenomenon involving the fallen leaves of all deciduous trees rooted within the confines of certain areas (henceforth, "the area").1 Leaves fallen within the area during seasonal autumn will invariably form large piles that will remain unaffected by local weather until all deciduous trees are completely defoliated. Piles of leaves affected by SCP-2171 will slide slowly, forming "windrows" of varying width. These SCP-2171 windrows will eventually manifest instances of SCP-2171-1 at their front end.

SCP-2171-1 are humanoid entities composed entirely of SCP-2171 affected leaves that appear to "guide" the SCP-2171 windrows. SCP-2171-1 entities are fragile but capable of movement, yet apparently impervious to hostile weather conditions. SCP-2171-1 emit repetitive vocalizations that may involve speech in various languages (see Addendum 2171-02) and have a tendency to hook dried leaves on tree branches across the perimeter of SCP-2171 areas or string leaves between trees that delineate this perimeter.

Given their behavior, SCP-2171-1 instances are currently believed to be sapient. However, SCP-2171-1 instances will only react when the integrity of the SCP-2171 windrows they grow from is compromised in any way.

SCP-2171-1 will react violently against any element disrupting the SCP-2171 windrows. Such reaction will include various vocalizations in a much lower pitch (see Addendum 2171-02), a considerable growth in size by drawing mass from the SCP-2171 windrow to which the entity pertains and persistent attempts at enveloping the disturbing element in a thick cover of SCP-2171 affected leaves. Once covered, the element will appear to dematerialize, being replaced by a similar volume of fallen leaves.

SCP-2171's anomalous properties will typically disappear after two or three days of continuous activity.

Addendum 2171-01: Environmental status in Locations of Interest affected by SCP-2171.

SPECIAL SCP-2171 REPORT


To: Area 08 RARP and Archival personnel, pertinent Level 5 personnel.
From: ϱ-6 Field Commander.
Ref: Environmental consequences of SCP-2171 anomalous effects.

Long-term analysis of areas affected by SCP-2171 has confirmed that the anomaly seems to cause previously unforeseen anomalous effects in the areas it affects, i. e.:

  • The local degradation of previously existing fauna and flora. This degradation most likely occurs due to the effects of SCP-2171-1 in the indigenous populations of animal species in the LOI-2171, which is causing a loss of biodiversity in the larger affected Locations.
  • The manifestation of anomalous flora of unknown origin. [REDACTED - DATA FILED] (See Addendum 2171-02 for a basic reference of anomalous plant life related to SCP-2171 manifestations. See Document 2171/ϱ-6-10 for a more comprehensive list including all known SCP-2171 related species.)
  • The progressive substitution of local soil materials. Substances atypical to the local parent material tend to appear in affected areas. Among these substances, various calcite and quartz-derived crystals are usual in most Locations. These materials do not demonstrate anomalous properties of their own.
  • The absence of any other anomalous activities in the SCP-2171 affected area. According to Foundation records on those LOI-2171 historically affected by local anomalous events, such events disappeared entirely in all regions affected by SCP-2171, with the exceptions of SCP-████ and SCP-████. This remains an unexplained issue and thus a high priority for the Reality Alteration Research Program (based on Area-08), both to improve SCP-2171's containment and the possible exploitation of this effect.

SCP-2171's containment procedures have been adjusted to address these anomalous properties.

Addendum 2171-02: Registered vocalizations from SCP-2171-1 (extract).

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License