SCP-1965
rating: +216+x

Item #: SCP-1965

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: High-energy Foundation-owned radio transmitters are to broadcast white noise at all times on SCP-1965's frequency throughout the geographical regions in which it can be received. The Foundation shall liaise with national governments to prevent SCP-1965's frequency from being assigned for civilian use. Any civilian broadcasts made on SCP-1965's frequency are to be triangulated and suppressed in order to prevent accidental civilian communication with SCP-1965.

A region within the Nunavut territory above the ██th parallel has been designated as SCP-1965's containment area; SCP-1965 shall be allowed to engage in Phase 0 and Phase 1 activity within this area without jamming. The Foundation shall secure the assistance of the territorial and federal government to prevent establishment of new settlements within the containment area, to prevent devices capable of receiving SCP-1965's frequency from being shipped into the area, and to monitor the indigenous populations for any indication of awareness of SCP-1965 or communication with it.

Site-1015, a dedicated listening post for the purpose of monitoring SCP-1965, has been established within this region. No personal electronics capable of receiving SCP-1965's frequency shall be allowed in the facility, nor shall any devices capable of receiving and transmitting sound be allowed within auditory range of monitoring equipment. All Phase 0 and 1 events shall be recorded for analysis. If and when a Phase 2 event begins, a high-energy transmitter on-site is to broadcast white noise across all frequencies until event ends.

In the event that containment fails and a Phase 3 event is deemed imminent, all the transmitters described above are to begin broadcasting white noise across all frequencies within the regions affected. The Foundation is authorized to induce power outages or communications blackouts in affected regions. Any damage caused by SCP-1965 or by containment thereof shall be attributed to solar flare activity or naturally-occuring electromagnetic pulse activity.

Description: SCP-1965 is an intelligent entity that manifests in the form of a series of high-energy radio broadcasts at ███.█ mHz, within the frequency band used for FM radio in North America. No physical source for SCP-1965 has been identified; all attempts to triangulate SCP-1965 broadcasts have resulted in contradictory results and have indicated transmissions emanating from areas where no radio transmission equipment exists. Depending on weather and on atmospheric and solar conditions, SCP-1965 broadcasts can be received throughout most of North America, as well as northern Europe and northeast Asia.

SCP-1965 activity has been categorized as occurring in four degrees designated Phase 0-3. During Phase 0, only white noise is received on SCP-1965's frequency. Acoustic analysis indicates the existence of regular patterns, suggesting that the white noise heard during Phase 0 is actively produced by SCP-1965 rather than by the natural processes that typically produce it.

During Phase 1, SCP-1965 rebroadcasts a wide variety of audio material that has been transmitted wirelessly within its transmission range over the prior 48 hours. Identified sources of Phase 1 material include commercial radio broadcasts, amateur shortwave broadcasts, satellite transmissions, cellular phone conversations, and "numbers stations" employed by the Foundation and by national governments. SCP-1965 shows no apparent preference for any particular sources of material that it retransmits. On occasion, rebroadcast material has been observed to deviate from known recordings; voices present within the original recording will begin to speak or sing what are believed to be direct statements from SCP-1965, in the same language as the speaker in the original broadcast. Aside from potential breaches of classified information, Phases 0 and 1 present no imminent threat.

The material broadcast during Phase 2 and Phase 3 events is identical in substance to that broadcast during Phase 1. The onset of Phase 2 events has proven difficult to predict, although records indicate a correlation between high levels of solar flare activity and Phase 2 occurrence. When a Phase 2 event begins, any device capable of receiving SCP-1965's frequency will receive and reproduce it, regardless of what frequency it was tuned to prior to onset. Any electronic device capable of receiving and playing back sound that is within auditory range of such a device will also begin reproducing it. Any device capable of transmitting or broadcasting sound that receives SCP-1965 through any of the above described means, will begin broadcasting it on all frequencies it is capable of broadcasting over. SCP-1965 can be prevented from "spreading" in this manner by broadcasting high-energy bursts of white noise across all frequencies as described in the Special Containment Procedures.

If a Phase 2 event is not so contained within 15 minutes of onset, it will escalate to Phase 3. During Phase 3, the energy output of SCP-1965 broadcasts increases dramatically and begins to produce effects similar to electromagnetic pulse (EMP) phenomena, resulting in the physical destruction of any devices receiving or transmitting it and potentially resulting in ignition of electrical fires within damaged equipment. Phase 3 lasts approximately 30 seconds, after which SCP-1965 activity returns to Phase 0 or Phase 1.

Incident 1965-1: On ██/██/20██, failure to exercise proper containment procedures during an otherwise successfully-contained Phase 2 event resulted in the outbreak of a Phase 3 event at Site-1015, resulting in the deaths of ██ personnel and $███████ worth of property damage. After cessation of event, SCP-1965 returned to Phase 1 and began broadcasting a recording of actor Morgan Freeman performing a reading of the poem "Casey At the Bat". Sr. Researcher ███████ activated a microphone connected to one of the still-functioning transmission towers and, before he could be restrained by security, broadcast a statement demanding that SCP-1965 explain why it had killed his friends. The broadcast underway deviated from the recording at this point and, in Freeman's voice, delivered a monologue, documented below, believed to be the only direct communication thus far from SCP-1965 to the Foundation.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License